Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-Sword display of polytonic Greek

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Searcher

Searcher

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Friends,

I am attempting to create an interlinear Greek-English Bible module using a polytonic Greek text. (For those not familiar with the term "polytonic" it has to do with using all of the accents, breathing marks, and subscripts of ancient and biblical Greek. Modern Greek uses a simplified system known as monotonic Greek.) The file appears correctly in TTT NT, but the polytonic Greek characters display as little boxes. (To further add to the confusion, even polytonic text uses monotonic Greek characters. Those are the ones which do display correctly.)

I have attached a couple of clips showing the text in TTT and in e-Sword which will make it hopefully easier to understand my cryptic comments. I suspect that there must be some simple toggle that I am not using correctly in TTT in order to properly convert the RTF file into the e-Sword file.

The Greek text was originally in Unicode, but was imported into a Microsoft Word file and saved as RTF before using in TTT. For any wishing to have further insight into monotonic and polytonic Greek, I refer you to the free program called BabelMap. The monotonic characters are displayed in the Unicode Block "Greek and Coptic" and the polytonic in "Greek Extended". Their website is:

www.babelstone.co.uk/software/babelmap.html

Many thanx!
Attached File  ScreenHunter_04 Jul. 11 10.34.jpg   164.68K   15 downloads
Attached File  ScreenHunter_03 Jul. 11 10.27.jpg   69.96K   15 downloads

#2 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

hi

check SET FONT as e-Sword in T4

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#3 Searcher

Searcher

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

I used Courier New and then Titus Cyberbit Basic. No change.

#4 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

Hi
can you upload a sample so someone can look at it

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#5 Searcher

Searcher

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Here is the book of Matthew
Attached File  Matthew.rtf   16.37MB   12 downloads

#6 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

I used Courier New and then Titus Cyberbit Basic. No change.

Try the SIL Greek Unicode font.

jonathon

#7 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Easy fix - using "e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT" (T4), the latest version. Load your file, and execute the following tool: Click Tools+Greek Unicode Fixup.

I did this with your file above. I set the Greek color to blue. I then built a BBLX file. Attached is a screenshot, using e-Sword's default font settings. Also attached is the RTF file and BBLX.

And for fun - this is a copy and paste from T4 as BBCode. Superscripts will not show here...
Matthew 1:1 ΒίΒλος G0976:N-NSF A record γενέσεως G1078:N-GSF of descent Ἰησοῦ G2424:N-GSM of Jesus Χριστοῦ G5547:N-GSM Christ, υἱοῦ G5207:N-GSM son of ΔαυὶΔ G1138:N-PRI David, υἱοῦ G5207:N-GSM son of ἈΒραάμ G0011:N-PRI Abraam.

Attached Files

Edited by BH., 13 July 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#8 Searcher

Searcher

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

Thanx. I tried that, but I get the following error message:

Attached File  ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 11 22.30.gif   39.99K   11 downloads

Could this be due to the file size?

#9 Searcher

Searcher

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

Just curious, how did you go about selecting all of the Greek text and making it blue?

#10 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Thanx. I tried that, but I get the following error message:

Attached File  ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 11 22.30.gif   39.99K   11 downloads

Could this be due to the file size?

It is not obvious to me what you tried. It appears that you were not even able to load the file, such you could not have run the "Greek Unicode Fixup" tool. Can you clarify? You were loading a DOC file it appears. Perhaps you can break your project down in smaller pieces and work on them in chunks. It is very easy to combine the resultant files into a single large file at the end. The RTF file you posted was very verbose. I suspect it was from MS-Word? The coloring of the Greek characters is a function of T4's Greek Unicode Fixup tool. The color is set in "Settings". But in the next version of T4, there will be a toolbar color selection tool for Greek and Hebrew characters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users