Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Book, chapter and verse reference for multiple bible quotations

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wawilson

wawilson

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

I have a list of 1000 bible quotations and would like a quick way to find the book, chapter and verse reference. I know I can do them one at a time in e-sword Attached File  bible txts.txt   115.85K   15 downloadsbut is there a way/tool to upload a file with the text of the passages and get the book, chapter and verse references?

Welcome any assistance.

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

I have a list of 1000 bible quotations and would like a quick way to find the book, chapter and verse reference. I know I can do them one at a time in e-sword Attached File  bible txts.txt   115.85K   15 downloadsbut is there a way/tool to upload a file with the text of the passages and get the book, chapter and verse references?

Welcome any assistance.

Google each reference? Not the answer you want to hear, I know. I don't have a tool that I could give you to automate this.

Josh

#3 wawilson

wawilson

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Google each reference? Not the answer you want to hear, I know. I don't have a tool that I could give you to automate this. Josh

Josh thanks and you're right, I really don't want to do that...

#4 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Try this file...

Attached Files

#5 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

As usual, Brent... You da man!

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#6 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Try this file...

I notice the references were incomplete. I guess in my haste, it did not include all the references that were found. Attached is the corrected file.

NOTE - some verses has several references. This is because of the method of search varied to get "hits". I make no representation of perfection of the list! :-)

Attached Files

Edited by BH., 05 July 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#7 wawilson

wawilson

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

I notice the references were incomplete. I guess in my haste, it did not include all the references that were found. Attached is the corrected file.

NOTE - some verses has several references. This is because of the method of search varied to get "hits". I make no representation of perfection of the list! :-)

BH,
Thanks for this. just the results I wanted. May I ask how you do it? I'll probably have to work on another list. Again Thanks

#8 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

BH,
Thanks for this. just the results I wanted. May I ask how you do it? I'll probably have to work on another list. Again Thanks

I have developed a few tools to work with e-Sword and with Bible references. I have a Bible search tool which is not publicly available, but has the ability to search by a word list or a string of words (sentence). To reference your list, I used these tools. Not knowing the Bible translation source, I searched several versions. 80-90% were KJV. 5% NASB. One I could not find, so Googled it. Bingo - NLT. In the programming tools I use, I can do ad hoc "throw away" programs, and interactively work with the data. That is what I did with your list. Not exactly helpful for you to solve your problem yourself.

#9 wawilson

wawilson

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

I have developed a few tools to work with e-Sword and with Bible references. I have a Bible search tool which is not publicly available, but has the ability to search by a word list or a string of words (sentence). To reference your list, I used these tools. Not knowing the Bible translation source, I searched several versions. 80-90% were KJV. 5% NASB. One I could not find, so Googled it. Bingo - NLT. In the programming tools I use, I can do ad hoc "throw away" programs, and interactively work with the data. That is what I did with your list. Not exactly helpful for you to solve your problem yourself.

THanks, how may i access the tool search tool you refer to?

#10 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

THanks, how may i access the tool search tool you refer to?

I have not made this tool available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users