Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

How to reduce huge files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ifffam

ifffam

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:01 AM

Hi all,

I've found a couple of files that, once unzipped, occupy around 80 Mb: the first is an interlinear hebrew bible study (HBS+ I believe...), and the other, iwh+p (there used to be another, called iwh+_97 or -97, of a similar size). I believe they have, each of them, the same Bible two or three times, since the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia with strongs (41 Mb once unzipped) I have found elsewhere, exactly the same, at 21 Mb. For Spanish Bibles I have seen the same, such or such are exactly two or three times bigger than others that are exactly the same Bible. Does anyone know how to verify if indeed those two huge bibles, HBS+ and iwh+p, are two or three-folded, and to reduce them accordingly? Thank you, and blessings to all.

ifffam

#2 Vaughn

Vaughn

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationKaufman, Texas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

ifffam

Most of your bigger files are older and have yet to be cleaned up. Josh and the team here are working very hard to make better however it does take time. I have many large files in e-Sword and have noticed some problems with files too. But as a collector and user I do not have the God given talent to fix them. Please be patient, not that you have brought the subject up I am sure you will receive more information and you desire on it.
Grace and Peace,
Your fellow Swordsman,
Vaughn R. Jacobs

#3 ifffam

ifffam

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

Thank you so much Vaughn. Sure, take all the time you need. (By the way, the file I mentioned by the name of iwh+_97 was not that, but LXX+WH+-97.bblx.exe, sorry for the mistake -3,14 MB but when unzipped, some 70MB!-).

God bless you and all the team, abundantly

ifffam

#4 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hi ifffam

I've found a couple of files that, once unzipped, occupy around 80 Mb: the first is an interlinear hebrew bible study (HBS+ I believe...), and the other, iwh+p (there used to be another, called iwh+_97 or -97, of a similar size). [...]. Does anyone know how to verify if indeed those two huge bibles, HBS+ and iwh+p, are two or three-folded, and to reduce them accordingly?

You are right, the size of those Bibles is doubled. The reason is they were old e-Sword 8 files that were converted to e-Sword 9 format using an utility that creates databases in UTF16 format, that takes exactly double amount of space than normal text. Actually, the text is normal text, but the database reserves double space because it thinks it's UTF16.

It's not difficult to export the text to a new database set up as UTF8, and it's size will be cut by half. It took me a couple minutes to convert the LXX+WH+-97.bblx module, and its size is now reduced to 33Mb.

You can download the reduced file from http://www.mediafire...22b563o6fjbsrmp
If anybody wants to create the installer and update the existing file in BibleSupport's Download area, that would be nice.

I was thinking maybe some of the programmers here could write a small utility that would read all the modules in the e-Sword folder and in case they are in an UTF16 database, convert them to UTF8. That would save a lot of space and would allow e-Sword to handle the modules faster.

Regards,

Carlos

#5 ifffam

ifffam

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:32 AM

(looks like didn't get posted... I try it again... sorry if it appears twice)

Dear Carlos,

thank you so much for the reduction. I've found two files elsewhere, BHS+ (Biblia hebraica stuttgartensia) and the KJVA, much shorter: the former, 22MB instead of 41 and the latter, 6MB instead of 14. I'm attaching them to this post, if you are interested in. (I don't know how to upload files in mediafire, sorry). On the other hand, I would like to ask you if you are so kind, to shorten just two Bibles, one called HSB.zip here in biblesupport (once unzipped it measures 86MB!) and the other, a Spanish Bible I could send you by email (if it's ok with you, you can just let me know to os7o@hotmail.es ).

Thank you so much, peace!

ifffam

(sorry,I'm getting a message "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file" when attaching the two files... well, at least I can offer them to you by email if you want).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users