Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Greek text not displaying in some modules

11 replies to this topic

#1 okie2003

okie2003

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOklahoma Ozarks

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

I am new to this forum and it really looks helpful. However I have not found the answer to one of my biggest problems--
the Greek text in NA26, GNT-BYZ, GNT-V, and the LXX+ do not display properly.

The greek text in SBLGNT (though there seem to be some other problems here) and GNT (Grk church) do display properly, as well as Greek text in various commentaries. It does not seem to matter what font I select for the Greek font (I assume it has to be Unicode). The only comment on the forum that I could find related to this was a general one that font problems are usually in the module, not e-sword or a setting. I am running version 10.1.0 in wine 1.5.5. I assume that wine is not the problem since some display correctly. Does anyone have these modules, especially GNT-BYZ, displaying properly? If so did it take tweaking? Are there other modules of the same content that work? Thanks.

EDIT: GNT-V should be in the working list. So, three properly display and 3 do not.

Edited by okie2003, 13 June 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#2 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Greek and Hebrew fonts should be set to "TITUS Cyberbit Basic." Otherwise, there will be problems.

Let us know if that solves or doesn't solve your issue.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#3 J_Allan

J_Allan

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

I was about to post regarding this problem.  I am using Linux.  SBLGT displays. The others that the original poster indicated just shows gibberish. The Greek and Hebrew are set to Titus Cyberbitz basic.  In the greek section of the fonts there is a horizontal scrollbar over "ellenoika".

I have several versions of Linux and all of the modules display properly.  I believe Windows 7 does not display those greek modules mentioned.

Is there a fix for this?

Thank you.

#4 okie2003

okie2003

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Greek and Hebrew fonts should be set to "TITUS Cyberbit Basic." Otherwise, there will be problems.

Let us know if that solves or doesn't solve your issue.

Yes, I currently have Greek set to "TITUS Cyberbit Basic", but the ones that work work with other fonts, or appear to. BSH+ also displays Hebrew fine with Ezra SIL, but that is beside the point. YES, but they do not display properly. I have also noted that parts of GNT-V diplay properly and parts do not (wierd). I have also added ABP-G+ and it is giberish also.

#5 okie2003

okie2003

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

I just realized that SBLGNT and GNT, which display properly, do not have parsings or Strong's numbers, just plain text. Also the GNT-V displays correctly where there are no notes in the text. There are some exceptions, but this is a general observation.

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

I just realized that SBLGNT and GNT, which display properly, do not have parsings or Strong's numbers, just plain text. Also the GNT-V displays correctly where there are no notes in the text. There are some exceptions, but this is a general observation.

It might be worth your while to take Screenshots of those Greek and Hebrew Bibles you're having difficulties with and upload and add them in your post so that we are able to see what you're experiencing. Like the old saying goes, "A picture is better than a thousand words," or something like that. Also take a screenshot of your Font settings, upload and add it to your post, as there we might be able to see if an actual problem exists.

I know that this may be a real pain in going to this kind of extent, but at least once we have a picture of what is happening, then we might be able to give you better help.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 13 June 2012 - 09:16 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#7 okie2003

okie2003

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

It might be worth your while to take Screenshots of those Greek and Hebrew Bibles you're having difficulties with . . . [snip] . . .
I know that this may be a real pain in going to this kind of extent, but at least once we have a picture of what is happening, then we might be able to give you better help.

Thanks, APsit190. Not a problem at all. I was out of town for a couple of days. Note, there is not problem with Hebrew, even with notes and EzraSIL font. I have included two shots of GNT-V to illustrate its unique situattion (see above).

Thanks for any help.
Attached File  LXX+ with Fonts2.jpeg   150.26K   25 downloads Attached File  NA26.jpeg   106.23K   24 downloads Attached File  BHS+.jpeg   109.73K   18 downloads Attached File  GNT-BYZ+.jpeg   92.19K   15 downloads Attached File  GNT-V_1.jpeg   83.65K   17 downloads Attached File  SBLGNT.jpeg   118.66K   13 downloads

OK, the second GNT-V and the GNT failed. I will try then on another post.

#8 okie2003

okie2003

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

OK, trying again on the two that failed. Note, if you click on the first one you can see the font settings.Attached File  GNT.jpeg   88.18K   19 downloads Attached File  GNT-V_2.jpeg   96.96K   21 downloads

#9 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

With my current set-up, I cannot duplicate the issues you are experiencing. Perhaps, though because I am not a technical guru so I am unsure, it is because I use a different font than most others. When I started using the Greek text from the Society of Biblical Literature (SBL) it was recommended to use the SBL Greek font due to special characters used within it. The font is beautiful. In fact, I liked the SBL Greek font so well that I decided to try the SBL Hebrew font. It, too, proved to be a gorgeous, clear, easily read font. Both fonts are free downloads and can be found at:

SBL Greek Font: http://www.sbl-site....s_SBLGreek.aspx

SBL Hebrew Font: http://www.sbl-site...._SBLHebrew.aspx

Try these and see if they help with the issues you are experiencing.
Posted Image

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:44 AM

OK, here goes. At a rough guess, I tend to think it has to do with the language setting in the Database. In SQLite Browser(or Manager), in the Details Table, check to see if the language is set to GREEK (It'll be in upper case). If its not, then change it to that.

The other ones you show, if they are not official e-Sword modules, delete them and download them via the e-Sword Downloader, and see what happens.

If these aren't the problem, then I'm stumped as that should not be happening.

The worst case scenario is that the Database files could be corrupted. But again, that is a wild guess.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

P.S. If you haven't done so, try Ebed's idea, and change the font settings for the Greek and the Hebrew to that, and see what happens. If that works, please let us know so that we can rejoice with you.

Edited by APsit190, 17 June 2012 - 04:47 AM.

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users