Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

[POLL] Do you use Pocket e-Sword? Should we build a Pocket e-Sword section?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

Poll: [POLL] Do you use Pocket e-Sword? Should we build a Pocket e-Sword section? (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use Pocket e-Sword?

1. Yes (46 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No. I don't use any mobile platform for Bible Study (9 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

3. No. I use another mobile platform for Bible Study (Droid, iPhone, tablet, iPad, etc) (14 votes [20.29%])

Percentage of vote: 20.29%

Should we build and maintain a Pocket e-Sword section?

1. Yes (53 votes [76.81%])

Percentage of vote: 76.81%

2. No (16 votes [23.19%])

Percentage of vote: 23.19%

Vote

#11 jpickerell

jpickerell

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

I still use Pocket e-sword on my AT&T Tilt 2 as my primary Bible. I always have it with me everywhere I go so I love having the scriptures with multiple translations, commentaries, and resources available everywhere, without internet access. I am looking at getting a used HTC HD2 and will most definitely use Pocket e-Sword on it for some time to come (a few years at least). Adding a resource here would be great!

#12 DavidKelly

DavidKelly

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC 27292

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

I feel that the Ipad type systems are the future.

I would like to see E-Sword for the Ipad.

#13 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

Josh,
I'm one who possibly would like to see a resurgence of Pocket e-Sword, and in fact I would love to see it redeveloped. This said, however one has to be realistic despite the feelings one may have regarding that product.

I do not believe Rick will redevelop Pocket e-Sword, and all the mobile devices it runs on are no longer available, and those that are currently in use, they will pretty much be put out to pasture or will go to the Big Mobile Device in the sky.

Considering these factors, I hate to admit that personally I don't think it will be worth while having a dedicated Pocket e-Sword page for its resources.

I don't think that Rick would give away the source code for Pocket e-Sword so that someone else could take it up and (say) redevelop it to run on Android and or iPhone. I tend to think that would be expecting way too much for that to take place. But if it did, I can see many running to their nearest iPhone dealer and purchasing one so they can run e-Sword on it. Nice dream, but that is all it would be.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#14 Casey McGrew

Casey McGrew

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

I find pocket e-sword the best thing to use on Windows mobile devices. With the advent of Windows 7 for phones and our business use of these devices quite a few of us will continue to need a pocket e-sword resource.

#15 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

I find pocket e-sword the best thing to use on Windows mobile devices. With the advent of Windows 7 for phones and our business use of these devices quite a few of us will continue to need a pocket e-sword resource.

Hi Casey,
Unfortunately, I do not think that pocket e sword will work on windows mobile 7. It will only work on windows mobile 6.5 or under.

#16 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

Allthough I feel the interface and features of MySword are far superior to any mobile Bible study software out there for mobile devices, I understand that there are those who do not want to upgrade to android. I myself, bought two Dell Axim's and was planning to use pocket e sword for years to come because it is a great Bible study tool.

I am willing to upload/ convert resources for the remaining pocket e sword users. Most of the pocket e sword commentaries I uploaded to esnips have gotten 100+ views and in some cases much more than this. Over 70 people downloaded the pulpit commentary for pocket e sword from the mediafire link so far just from a posting on the yahoo message board about it.

If Josh thinks there is still enough interest, I will support it.

Dell Axim's are still readily available on ebay and they seem to sell like hot cakes. I do not know what people use them for (besides pocket e sword).

Peter

#17 car54

car54

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMinn.

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:08 AM

I don't have one, I don't even know what it is :blink: :)

#18 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

Allthough I feel the interface and features of MySword are far superior to any mobile Bible study software out there for mobile devices, I understand that there are those who do not want to upgrade to android. I myself, bought two Dell Axim's and was planning to use pocket e sword for years to come because it is a great Bible study tool.

I am willing to upload/ convert resources for the remaining pocket e sword users. Most of the pocket e sword commentaries I uploaded to esnips have gotten 100+ views and in some cases much more than this. Over 70 people downloaded the pulpit commentary for pocket e sword from the mediafire link so far just from a posting on the yahoo message board about it.

If Josh thinks there is still enough interest, I will support it.

Dell Axim's are still readily available on ebay and they seem to sell like hot cakes. I do not know what people use them for (besides pocket e sword).

Peter

I don't think it's a wise investment of time to support or create resources for a platform that's dead and software that's dead. And it's getting left behind in terms of features and usability by software that is still being developed. So I can't spend any time on this personally--just too many other things I want to do. Now, Logos' newly re-created Personal Book Builder that lets users create custom content for Logos software--there's something with long term potential and a huge user base. But I digress....

I'll make a category for anyone who wants to can upload. What types of categories should I make for Pocket e-Sword? Bibles, commentaries, topics, and dictionaries? Anything else? It will basically come down to you to support it, Peter. :))) I don't have a device that runs Pocket e-Sword. :(

Josh

#19 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

Josh,
We need categories for Bibles, Commentaries, Dictionaries, and Devotionals.

I personally could not support anything to do with Logos. I view it as a Bible software for the affluent. You need to spend thousands to get any kind of library. I cannot even run it on my computers because they are not powerful enough. Anything I work on I would want to be within reach of those in less affluent countries. Maybe Logos has ways for missionaries or people in less affluent countries to get their software/resources at deep discounts. I do not know.

Pocket e sword will not take much time for support. I will have to upload resources up front. After that, it will just be converting an occasional resource that someone would like to see. This would only take me 15 - 20 minutes per resource. Since you cannot migrate topics, this greatly limits the number of resources.

I am ok with us not having a pocket e sword area if you do not feel the response to the poll was enough. My innitial vote was no too.

Peter

#20 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

Josh,
We need categories for Bibles, Commentaries, Dictionaries, and Devotionals.

I personally could not support anything to do with Logos. I view it as a Bible software for the affluent. You need to spend thousands to get any kind of library. I cannot even run it on my computers because they are not powerful enough. Anything I work on I would want to be within reach of those in less affluent countries. Maybe Logos has ways for missionaries or people in less affluent countries to get their software/resources at deep discounts. I do not know.

Pocket e sword will not take much time for support. I will have to upload resources up front. After that, it will just be converting an occasional resource that someone would like to see. This would only take me 15 - 20 minutes per resource. Since you cannot migrate topics, this greatly limits the number of resources.

I am ok with us not having a pocket e sword area if you do not feel the response to the poll was enough. My innitial vote was no too.

Peter

Nah, I'll make a category for it, I just wanted to whine about it first. Posted Image Every time I add a category, it breaks the code that counts MySword file counts. So if that shows crazy numbers for a few minutes, that's the reason.

Logos is great software, but I too wonder how they have amassed such a marketshare being so expensive. But, A lot of people are willing to pay, apparently. I know it's standard issue now in a number of seminaries. They do offer a huge student discount. The learning curve is steep, though. Some friends and I are going to a training class in Murfreesboro, TN in December so I can learn a little more about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users