Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

[POLL] Do you use Pocket e-Sword? Should we build a Pocket e-Sword section?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

Poll: [POLL] Do you use Pocket e-Sword? Should we build a Pocket e-Sword section? (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use Pocket e-Sword?

1. Yes (46 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No. I don't use any mobile platform for Bible Study (9 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

3. No. I use another mobile platform for Bible Study (Droid, iPhone, tablet, iPad, etc) (14 votes [20.29%])

Percentage of vote: 20.29%

Should we build and maintain a Pocket e-Sword section?

1. Yes (53 votes [76.81%])

Percentage of vote: 76.81%

2. No (16 votes [23.19%])

Percentage of vote: 23.19%

Vote

#1 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

Help us decide where to focus our resources!

Pocket e-Sword is no longer being developed (as shown on the e-Sword website), and the operating system it ran on is (all but) dead. But someone asked we make a poll to see if there's enough interest in Pocket e-Sword for us to build and maintain a downloads area.

Please take the poll and feel free to share your comments here.

Thank you,
Josh

#2 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

If others want a pocket e sword section, I am willing to upload the resources that I converted. I still have 3 devices that run pocket e sword and BeST works to convert modules on all of my computers/ devices so I can convert Bibles, Dictionaries, and Commentaries to Pocket e sword. Unfortuntely, some of the modules will convert with gaps in them. The pulpit commentary is missing three books in the OT, for example. There is not much I an do about this problem, as I do not believe BeST is supported anymore.

I have converted fully to MySword for android, but I am thankful for the year or so that I was an avid pocket e sword user.

#3 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

Hi. When I had a Windows Phone I used Pocket e-Sword. I think it would be good to post Pocket e-Sword modules for people who use Windows Phone.

Now This Android Phone - My Sword software seems to be much better (although I don't own a Android Phone [yet]). My brother in-law told me about My Sword. He really like it.

Thanks
Patchworkid
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#4 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

I use an Axim with pocket esword but have enough of the modules that were offered to cover my use and I am contemplating shifting to an android unit fairly soon so mysword will do well.

If someone makes modules I would probably pick them up but not sure I would invest much time in making them if I had the talent/know how.

#5 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:16 PM

I use an Axim with pocket esword but have enough of the modules that were offered to cover my use and I am contemplating shifting to an android unit fairly soon so mysword will do well.

If someone makes modules I would probably pick them up but not sure I would invest much time in making them if I had the talent/know how.

I bought two Dell Axims about 6 months ago because it did not seem that android was going to have anything comparable to pocket e sword where we could convert our own modules. I love pocket e sword, but I always wished that it had the ability to convert book/topic modules and the ability to search dictionaries/ commentaries.

All of the sudden because of a post by Jonathon I stumble upon MySword! And wow! It had everything I loved about pocket e sword including the ability to make our own modules and it also allows you to search all module types and convert topic/book modules (things that pocket e sword lacked). I now use it for devotions and some in depth Bible study and also as an e reader. It also allows for embedded pictures inside the modules. This is a nice feature that even e sword lacks.

I still use pocket e sword every now and then just for old times sake.

#6 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

I'm torn, love the Axim but an Archos43 would replace it soooooo easily :lol: so I could use mysword! Had to buy a washer and dryer this month so still considering :rolleyes:

Have to convince the wife here older Axim needs upgraded to my Axim and then I will need a new Archos - or something like that :lol:

#7 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:08 PM

http://e-sword-users...users/node/4691 is the closed discussion on e-Sword-uses.org about continued support for Pocket e-Sword.

Support for Pocket e-Sword ended 31 December 2009.

• Windows Mobile 6.0 was released on 12 February 2007;
  • Windows Mobile 6.1 was released in 2008;
  • Windows Mobile 6.5 was released on 11 May 2009;
  • Windows Mobile 6.5.3 was released on 2 February 2010;
  • Windows Phone 7 was released on 21 October 2010 in Europe. It was released on 8 November 2010 in the United States;
Microsoft typically supports software for one year after the release date of the next version. IOW, WinMo 6.0 support ended in 2008. WinMo 6.5 support ended in 2010, etc. However, Microsoft is still pushing WinMo 6.5 for devices aimed at the corporate market. Apparently WinMo 7 is for the consumer market, not the corporate market.

Mobile device market share data:
On the plus side:
  • e-Sword.net still offers resources for Pocket e-Sword;
  • eStudySource.com still offers resources for Pocket e-Sword;

Disclaimer # 1: I'm the person that asked Josh to do the Poll. This is my public thanks to Josh, for running it;

Disclaimer # 2: My preference would be for BibleSupport.com to offer Pocket e-Sword resources;

Disclaimer # 3: I use Pocket e-Sword on a WinMo 6.5 PDA. I'm still looking at Bible Study Applications on the Android platform;

#8 conens

conens

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:28 PM

My pocket e-sword, on Axim has been a very valuable study tool for me. I use it daily in personal studies and on Sunday it is my all purpose Bible resource at Church. I have room on my storage card for more resources, and I would be blessed to have them.
Thanks;
Ian

#9 rkilba1

rkilba1

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:59 AM

I use Pocket Esword as my primary Bible and would love to see a new section created. I have just about everything available off the official site but would appriciate sharing resources with others. In particalur, there isn't much out there in terms of devotionals and reading plans. Resources I've been looking for are: HOT+ (bbl), The Message (bbl), My Utmost for His Highest (dev), and the topical memory system (mem).

I'm also interested in sharing individual preference files like highlights (ovl), versenotes (sdf), bookkmark (lst), or prayer (prl) files.

I realize Pocket Esword has limitations on the creation of reading plans but it would be great to see the M'Cheyne Bible Reading Plan, any of the ESV reading plans, or any of the Zondervan plans converted into a format Pocket Esword could use.

Blessings!

#10 neater

neater

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

I have Pocket e-Sword on my HTC HD2 phone and use it as the Bible(s) I always have with me. I chose a Windows phone because as well as e-Sword, it runs Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint - all useful when overseas on mission work. I carry my NIV Study Bible for general use overseas, but the Bibles and Strongs concordance on Pocket e-Sword are invaluable for study and discussions - although I'd love to have AMP and the NASB and concordance on Pocket e-Sword.

If Android could run Word, Excel and PowerPoint I would gladly switch to MySword! Until then it is so convenient to have Bibles and Office in one device.

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users