Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Download of Hebrew OT - Westminster Leningrad Codex

Old Testament

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fmcleod@comcast.net

fmcleod@comcast.net

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:30 AM

Hi, I am a newbie to MySword. Just downloaded it to Kindle Fire yesterday. I love it already. I have downloaded all my fave bible versions, commentaries, etc. I got a great version of the Greek text of the NT. However, I am having trouble with the Hebrew text for the OT.

I downloaded one (Sorry, can't remember it's name ... it came to the Kindle as HebM). It was consonants only and I wanted vowel pointing also. I found and downloaded the Westminster Leningrad Codex, as I have a copy of it on Kindle and I like it, into MySword and installed it.

The Problem: Genesis 1:1 is not Gen. 1:1 ... the chapters and verses are misaligned in some way. I cannot figure out why Gen. 1:1 has different text than it should.

Anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

Thanks,

Frank McLeod

#2 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

Frank,
This one looks ok to me, is this the one you downloaded? Disclaimer - I cannot read any Hebrew so there may be issues I cannot see.
http://www.biblesupp...eningrad-codex/

Is the above module the one you tried or the one that you can download from within MySword?

You may also want to try this file:
http://www.biblesupp...ysword-version/

And this file:
http://www.biblesupp...ysword-version/

#3 fmcleod@comcast.net

fmcleod@comcast.net

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for that quick reply and your time in checking the other files. The first onem the Leningrad-codex one, is the problem child. Yes, it will look okay, because the Hebrew shown is formatted well, the vowel point markings are there and it would look good ... but the problem is that the Hebrew words in each verse are not the original text Hebrew words. It has become scrambled somehow. I have downloaded it and installed it several times hoping that there was just a hiccup in the system or something ... same result each time.

The other two you referenced are the first ones I downloaded to my Kindle ... the Hebrew wording is correct, but it is the old style with no vowel pointing. That is why I abandoned them.

While on the subject, can I rename the "nickname" of a file? During this process it is confusing. I was not sure if the last ones you referenced were the ones I tried because all I see for them in MySword is HOT and iHOT. I have several files for the Greek NT with cryptic short names ... can they be changed? Did I stick this question in the wrong stream? Sorry, if so.

Thanks for all you do!!

Frank

#4 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

http://www.biblesupp...tabase-browser/

You can change the nickname of the file using the above program on your PC. Go to the the browse data tab and change the abbreviation there and save the database. Then transfer back to your android device.

As far as WLC goes, did you also try the official WLC MySword file that you can download directly from within MySword?

Blessings,
Peter

#5 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

I think there is also an issue with Hebrew Bibles in MySword if you do not have at least Honeycomb for your android operating system. I am not sure if this is related to the issue you are having.

#6 Raymond Barone

Raymond Barone

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

I checked the database of the module in the first link.
This is Genesis 1:1, and it is correct:
בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָֽרֶץ׃

Do you get different text?

#7 fmcleod@comcast.net

fmcleod@comcast.net

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

Sorry for slow reply ... been trying to figure out how to cut and paste the Hebrew test from MySword. Can't seem to crack that nut.
Peter, yes, I used the WLC download from inside MySword and also the one from BibleSupport, and got the same results. The one from MySword is flagged with a note that it is for Honeycomb and up.

Raymond, I just now realized this morning that it is the right text, but it is reading left to right, so I am seeing everything backwards.

Now, I guess that makes it a different issue of formatting or something with the WLC version. I had also noticed in the Strong's Hebrew Dict. that some Hebrew words are reading left to right also ... I figured I could live with that. But is that some kind of clue as to a format issue I am having?

I really appreciate the help, you guys!

#8 fmcleod@comcast.net

fmcleod@comcast.net

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

Peter, thanks for the SQLlite pointer. Works for me!

#9 fmcleod@comcast.net

fmcleod@comcast.net

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the help I have received. What I have discovered: in looking at the Hebrew Text, WLC version in the database, the LefttoRight field is correctly marked as true "1" ... so whatever is going on with it must be in MySword itself. I am going to run it by their support people.

BTW, SqlLite for the PC kept hanging up on me. I found an add-on version for FireFox that has more features and works more smoothly ... FYI.

Thanks,
Frank

#10 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the help I have received. What I have discovered: in looking at the Hebrew Text, WLC version in the database, the LefttoRight field is correctly marked as true "1" ... so whatever is going on with it must be in MySword itself. I am going to run it by their support people.

BTW, SqlLite for the PC kept hanging up on me. I found an add-on version for FireFox that has more features and works more smoothly ... FYI.

Thanks,
Frank

Strange, I have not had sqlite hang up on me...

I think that the left to right issue is fixed with Honeycomb, but you should ask MySword to be sure...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users