• Create Account
Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

eSword and Windows 8

11 replies to this topic

#1 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationFargo, North Dakota (USA)

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

Does anyone have some idea how eSword will run on Windows 8? Are there going to be big problems - and what about associated eSword software? ToolTip, etc.

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

Hi Larry,
I expect (and this is pure conjecture) that there should be no issues or problems. Windows 8 should be backward compatible on software down to Windows XP. The only thing is that you will either need major upgrade or brand new, is your PC and/or Laptop. If either or both don't have touch technology Monitors/Screens then you could be up the proverbial creek without a paddle in a canoe full of holes sinking fast. But if your machine is Windows 7 Compatible, then you shouldn't have any difficulties (theory only), and that includes software.

But then again, who really knows about Microsoft, hey?

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 31 May 2012 - 05:32 PM.

#3 mikecindi

mikecindi

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

I have Windows 8 "Consumer Preview Evaluation Copy Build 8250" loaded in a virtual machine on my desktop PC. I also loaded it on my tablet for a few days before going back to Windows 7.

When loading e-Sword an informational dialog box titled "TX Text Control" comes up four times (same one each time) stating: The designated text area is too small for the new format settings. In the VM it seems to run okay after that but on the tablet the touch screen does not work as it should (don't really know that it's due to the above but was too annoying to leave on the tablet).

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

I have Windows 8 "Consumer Preview Evaluation Copy Build 8250" loaded in a virtual machine on my desktop PC. I also loaded it on my tablet for a few days before going back to Windows 7.

When loading e-Sword an informational dialog box titled "TX Text Control" comes up four times (same one each time) stating: The designated text area is too small for the new format settings. In the VM it seems to run okay after that but on the tablet the touch screen does not work as it should (don't really know that it's due to the above but was too annoying to leave on the tablet).

I know there's going to be several versions of Windows 8 and no longer will a developer be able to say, "My product works with Windows 8". Some versions of Windows 8 will work on x86/64 architecture and others on the ARM architecture. This will require different code and different programs, so unless a developer releases multiple programs, he won't be "Windows 8 compliant". I think it's going to be confusing.

The errors reported by the text control is the reason why TextControl.com is producing an Window 8 compliant version of their control. Rick Meyers told me the next upgrade of e-Sword's text control will be when TextControl.com releases their Windows 8 text control.

josh

#5 mikecindi

mikecindi

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

I'm confident that when Win8 is released e-Sword will be adjusted appropriately.

As for Win8 in general...well, it's a bit different to use but ran very well on my tablet. In the VM on my PC it's a bit buggy.

#6 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:21 AM

I know there's going to be several versions of Windows 8 and no longer will a developer be able to say, "My product works with Windows 8". Some versions of Windows 8 will work on x86/64 architecture and others on the ARM architecture. This will require different code and different programs, so unless a developer releases multiple programs, he won't be "Windows 8 compliant". I think it's going to be confusing.

The errors reported by the text control is the reason why TextControl.com is producing an Window 8 compliant version of their control. Rick Meyers told me the next upgrade of e-Sword's text control will be when TextControl.com releases their Windows 8 text control.

josh

Hi Josh,
This is because of Microsoft's fixation with the Metro design for PCs.

To be honest, I don't know how well all this is going to work for any software developer in having to produce two levels of software for the one operating system. For businesses its going to be a nightmare simply because of cost for having to write for two platforms, I reckon for the average home user is even going to be worst because they don't know the difference and what the problem is.

Reports I've read on Windows 8 believe its going to be Microsoft's biggest white elephant. In other words the biggest failure mainly because the vast majority of people and businesses don't want it. So, in that its going to be a Windows ME and Vista debacle all over again.

Just a suggestion, Josh, I think it might be wise to create a separate forum for users who have problems with Windows 8 and e-Sword, and have people on havd who can help in resolving those problems.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

#7 lonelysheepherd

lonelysheepherd

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

Hi, brothers and sisters. I am using Windows 8 release preview and Esword 10. I can tell that is version of Windows 8 is much much better compatible with Esword. The issue of 'TX Text control' does not appear any more; and Esword is running very well with touch sreen.

Take care and God bless you.

#8 nkryptchon

nkryptchon

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationS. Florida

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:32 AM

to ALL for you that ( THINK ) without confirming eSword is " backward compatible" with win 8.1 64bit are WRONG ! it is NOT compatible yet.

If the eSword programmers are working on it then I hope they will release the update soon. but until then we who have 8.1 - 64 will have to

wait.

***** Update ** I posted the above comment earlier this morning : I'm Wrong ! My apology to who I offended by this post. 

I tried twice to complete the software d/l on my Win 8.1 machine both times were denied. not compatible with this version of Windows

a few hours later I was going to delete the executable file in my d//l's folder and thought : oh what the Hell why not.

all it can tell me is denied again and I'll delete it. it wasn't compatible anyway.

but it d/l'd just now. it took a long time to load once completed and I have huge resources on my machine too.

it opened but w/a an error of *not responding at 1st. so it might work but not w/o errors and taking too long to load the program etc...

I d/l'd two modules that weren't compatible due to a .devx file ext that wasn't allowed to open. 

so there are some glitches for sure... on Win 8.1 64bit 

I'm going to try a few more Modules to see what happens and come back and update this post again. 

** ok... out of 3 .exe module d/l's 2 were fine 1 was denied from Windows so i forced it and my antivirus had to scan it 1st so that one is gonna be a problem. 1 zip file did not extract to esword software file so I'll have to manually put that in. 1 of the Dictionaries was not compatible. 

so there ARE some definite Problems for Windows 8.1 I'm going to open esword & nav around to see what works and go from there. I might just have to stay with .EXE downloads so I'm on a "search and destroy" mission for downloading modules. so there's some tips for win 8 users 

I hope this Helps.  

</nkryptchon>   ] 

Edited by nkryptchon, 03 July 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#9 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

Strange.  I use esword on several 8.1 64 bit machines and never have had any problems.  Maybe someone will have an idea for you. 

I avoid the .exe files personally due to trying to keep backups of modules.  Hate installing with .exe then having to go find it to copy it to backup.

Trust you enjoy using the program and resources.

#10 nkryptchon

nkryptchon

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationS. Florida

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

e-Sword Fanatic

maybe.... but unless they' re a tech....

I'll deal with the glitches and keep what works and delete what doesn't. I can scan this program for bugs and errors that might be repairable. 

since I'm always online for 1 reason or another this software will be useful. 

thanks 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users