Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Bold text in bible module

10 replies to this topic

#1 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

I just ran into what appears to be an 'unexpected feature' with Esword bible text display.
I have a verse that ends with bold text. When the verse ends with a bold letter, the subsequent verses all are shown in bold, until there is another bold word or character. At which point the bold will be switched back off and continue as normal.
The results across a parallel view of multiple bible translations yeilds interesting results as well.

Just thought I would share this so others will have that information. Not sure if that is something anyone has seen before but was unable to lave any comments on the Esword site. Mr. Meyers seems to be on a little vaca...

#2 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

I don't have anything like this happening in my e-Sword. I'm curious, are any of the translations official e-Sword or premium e-Sword? If so, give us a translation, book, chapter, and verse to start from and see if the problem is duplicated for others.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#3 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

Hi MJ

I have a verse that ends with bold text. When the verse ends with a bold letter, the subsequent verses all are shown in bold, until there is another bold word or character. At which point the bold will be switched back off and continue as normal.
The results across a parallel view of multiple bible translations yeilds interesting results as well.

That is not a problem with e-Sword, but with the text itself.

E-Sword modules use RTF codes to describe format. In RTF, there are two ways to display some text in bold:

\b This is bold text \b0
{\b This is bold text}

In that text you mention, the closing tag (either \b0 or }) is missing, so the program interprets that all the text that follows that is bold too, until it finds some tag that resets the text to non-bold.

That's the reason why any format in the text (bold, italics, blue, red, or whatever) must be closed in the same verse, even if the next verse has the same format. I mean, if you have, for example, several verses in italics, every one of them must begin with the italics tag and close the italics at the end of the verse, not of the whole passage.

Regards,

Carlos

#4 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

I don't have anything like this happening in my e-Sword. I'm curious, are any of the translations official e-Sword or premium e-Sword? If so, give us a translation, book, chapter, and verse to start from and see if the problem is duplicated for others.

I am using the Tooltip Tool NT and manually entering text. I'm assuming that the editor would normally add this coding behind the scenes?

#5 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hi MJ

That is not a problem with e-Sword, but with the text itself.

E-Sword modules use RTF codes to describe format. In RTF, there are two ways to display some text in bold:

\b This is bold text \b0
{\b This is bold text}

In that text you mention, the closing tag (either \b0 or }) is missing, so the program interprets that all the text that follows that is bold too, until it finds some tag that resets the text to non-bold.

That's the reason why any format in the text (bold, italics, blue, red, or whatever) must be closed in the same verse, even if the next verse has the same format. I mean, if you have, for example, several verses in italics, every one of them must begin with the italics tag and close the italics at the end of the verse, not of the whole passage.

Regards,

Carlos

I just learned something.. thanks..

#6 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

MJ

can you upload a sample bblx did you say this was from T4

this may be an issue for Brent to look at

Edited by DSaw, 30 May 2012 - 03:53 PM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#7 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

MJ

It is a repeatable event. If the end of the verse is a letter in bold, the next verse will continue on in the bold. A puctuation mark, such as a period will cause the right response with the bold text turning off and the next verse in it's expected format. Attached is the module. Look at Gen 2.19. The last word is bold. The next verse should revert back to normal but doesn't until the next verse where bold font is used again. Here is what the text looks like in editor.

[attachment=572:a.zip]

Gen 2:19 Therefore the EVER- LIVING GOD, who had formed out of the ground every animal of the field as well as every bird of the skies, took them to the man to see what he would name them. And whatever the man with the Living Soul called them, that was their name
Gen 2:20 So the man gave names to all the quadrupeds, and all the birds of the skies, and to all the wild animals ; but it was no comfort for the man to be with them.

Here is the display in Esword

Gen 2:19Therefore the EVER- LIVING GOD, who had formed out of the ground every animal of the field as well as every bird of the skies, took them to the man to see what he would name them. And whatever the man with the Living Soul called them, that was their name
Gen 2:20 So the man gave names to all the quadrupeds, and all the birds of the skies, and to all the wild animals ; but it was no comfort for the man to be with them.

You probably would not usually end a bible verse without some kind of puctuation so this may not have ever shown up before.

For what is worth..

#8 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hi MJ,

to solve this is just press B = bold and continue tying. try that
it should not be bold as the B is not highlighted
also if you want a heading - press shift key and return at the same time

thanks

Edited by patchworkid, 30 May 2012 - 05:08 PM.

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#9 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

MJ

Better would be to have the RTF file from which the BBLX is built from.

Also, it is always good to know if you are running the most recent version of T4.

That said, the simple fix should be:
1) start T4
2) press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S
3) find the key RTFtail. The default value is: \cf0\i0\ulnone\nosupersub
4) change the value to: \cf0\i0\b0\ulnone\nosupersub
note - to change the value, double click on the key name.
5) Click OK
6) rebuild your BBLX

Once applied, you should not need to this this again.

Edited by BH., 30 May 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#10 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

Brent

I knew you would know the quick and easy way You DA MAN

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users