Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Church History in Plain Language by Bruce Shelley

8 replies to this topic

#1 StandingFirm

StandingFirm

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

Church History in Plain Language by Bruce Shelley is on sale until the 29th. It looks like a good resource though I am not familiar with it. With the discount code HIST it is on sale at $9.99. The print version on Amazon is almost double that amount.

#2 Josh H

Josh H

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Ca

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

StandingFirm,

I've actually been reading this book before bed for the last couple of monthes and I'm loving it. I really enjoy studying church history and this books been a help. Another help for me in learning about church history is David Guzik's two diiferent church history series (mp3 format) which can be downloaded here for free...http://www.enduringw...story_audio.htm

Josh

#3 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

StandingFirm,

I've actually been reading this book before bed for the last couple of monthes and I'm loving it. I really enjoy studying church history and this books been a help. Another help for me in learning about church history is David Guzik's two diiferent church history series (mp3 format) which can be downloaded here for free...http://www.enduringw...story_audio.htm

Josh

ccJosh,

Thanks for the links to the church history mp3 teachings. I look forward to starting to listen to those on my way too and from work next week!

That would have been a great week to be at the castle in Austria!

Blessings,
Peter

#4 Josh H

Josh H

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Ca

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

ccJosh,

Thanks for the links to the church history mp3 teachings. I look forward to starting to listen to those on my way too and from work next week!

That would have been a great week to be at the castle in Austria!

Blessings,
Peter

Peter,

No prob, I think you'll really enjoy these teachings, I know I did and yes that would have been amazing to hear them live!

It's funny you mention listening to them to and from work, I had a guy at church a couple weeks back ask if I know any good resources on church history. So i've been burning him discs of these teachings and he's listening to them to and from work.

It's a great way to redeem the time!

The Lord bless you!
Josh

#5 Josh H

Josh H

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Ca

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

Oh yeah, another great book on church history is The Pilgrim Church by Broadbent and someone just made it for The Word, I wonder if someone is going to make it for e-sword? Hmm?

#6 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

There is another excellent series by Maxie Burch of North Phoenix Baptist Church, 5757 North Central Avenue, Phoenix AZ 85012.

http://maxieburch.net/history-theology-courses-info.php?cID=1

For some reason only the first three sections of the series were ever completed, and the site has had nothing new posted since April of 2011.

Each section as a PDF "class book" that goes with the lessons.
Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#7 StandingFirm

StandingFirm

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Thanks Josh for the link. I like to listen to messages while I drive back and forth to work. Very much appreciated.

#8 Josh H

Josh H

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Ca

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

No prob man, enjoy!

#9 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

The Eternal Kingdom by F.W. Mattox is a great introduction to church history from the end of the first century onward. Unfortunately, no mp3s of this work exist (to my knowledge).

Brad

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users