Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

user names are visible on goole search,including site activities of user(privacy issues)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

You asked for it. You got it.

Click Settings on the main menu. Then choose, Delete My Account. The action is irreversible.

#12 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

You asked for it. You got it.

Click Settings on the main menu. Then choose, Delete My Account. The action is irreversible.

Hi Josh,
I'm certain that those who are privacy conscious would appreciate this. I realize that this is something that can be regarded as a pain in the neck... or sorta like a Paul's thorn in the flesh type scenario.

The fact that IPBoard doesn't provide a way for someone to "close" their account has to be a concern. But for you to provide a way for the user to delete his account has to be appreciated. At least you've got thus far two people who seemingly approve (like) your decision. Me, well it matters little.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 27 October 2012 - 12:46 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#13 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

No one's used it yet, that I can detect. This morning, I added a routine that makes a log of who deleted themselves, so I can see if anyone used it (otherwise, I don't have any way of knowing).

99% of people who ask me to delete their accounts are having a temper tantrum. Someone offended them, they saw a resource on the website that is doctrinally wrong, someone wrote a blog that hurt their feelings, someone sent them a snide PM. The expectation is that I will ask them to stay--they really don't want me to delete their account. They want to use the account deletion request to manipulate me, so I will side with them on whatever their dispute is. Yes, all this from Christians who can't act like Christians. :)

Much like my 3 year old twins, if I ignore them, the tantrum goes away. Everyone who has children knows it's no fun throwing a fit, if there's no audience. My old way of ignoring them was just to ignore them, period. Now, they can delete themselves, with no input from me. And I think that will largely end the tantrums, because you delete yourself, you can't re-register, and you've lost access to the world's largest e-Sword website. :) And .... and what becomes of that? You gained what? Nothing, except a tantrum in the floor and no one's there to watch it. :)

Delete requests have annoyed me because its rarely to do with privacy and always to do with a tantrum. And that rare privacy concern can also be legimately addressed with this feature. :)

"And now you know the rest of the story..."

Edited by Josh Bond, 27 October 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#14 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Of course, now the requests will be:

Would you please delete that guy? He's annoying me!

#15 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Of course, now the requests will be:

Would you please delete that guy? He's annoying me!

Bradley, would you please delete yourself?

You annoy me :)

#16 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Plus one on that one! :)

#17 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Ok, anyone for suicide? :P :lol:
X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users