Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Opening Old Topic and Study Note Files in e-Sword

10 replies to this topic

#1 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

All,
Just in case you may have not known it, or that you didn't notice it, but the old format of Topic and Study Notes can be opened in the 10x series of e-Sword. The beaut part about this, is it also converts the file to the topx and notx format for you.

e-Sword Topic Note File Open Dialog
Attached File  e-s_Topic Note Open Dialog.jpg   57.63K   69 downloads

Now, its important to realize that this works only on unlocked 3rd party resources, and does not work on old e-Sword official topic and study note files.

For more about opening resource module files, refer to your e-Sword User Guide.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#2 Brian Mallalieu

Brian Mallalieu

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, UK

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

Hi AP, I have version 10 and have saved a Topic note but cannot view it in the Ref. Library yet, even though I have pointed the Options/Reference library dialog box path to my e-sword main directory. What am I missing, please?

#3 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

hi

Press Ctrl (control) key and right button on mouse. select the bottom (last) option to convert to Refx.

try that first.

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#4 Brian Mallalieu

Brian Mallalieu

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, UK

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

RB, thanks indeed, that did it! However, what about a Study Note, since the same conversion did not work for that, please?

#5 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

hi

with study notes - you can convert them to commentary by using Tool Tip Tool NT (T4) by BH

download T4
click on Module - Notes - read notes
once it is open - at the top add the

#define description=DESC
#define abbreviation=ABBR
#define comments=CMTS
#define version=1

÷Gen 1:1
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#6 Brian Mallalieu

Brian Mallalieu

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, UK

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

Thanks again Patchworkid, --- I assume the above suggestion still applies even if they were saved in version 10+ i.e. there's no equivalent hotkey like with a topic note?

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hi AP, I have version 10 and have saved a Topic note but cannot view it in the Ref. Library yet, even though I have pointed the Options/Reference library dialog box path to my e-sword main directory. What am I missing, please?

Hi Brian,
If your old top is an official e-Sword resource, then it will not convert via anything without a password to unlock the MS Access database file.If you opened it in your Topic Note Editor and you see nothing in your Topic Note Editor, then assume it as a locked resource. But if you do see stuff in your Topic Note Editor, then it has successfully converted to a topx file.

Also, when old resource has successfully and you can't view it in the new Reference Library, then you may need to go to the Resource Options, and down the bottom is the Reference Book Check List box, scroll down to where you new resource is, and then check it. Also, see if the new file is in your Program Files\e-Sword folder. If not there, move it over from where you initially put it, and then you should have no problems.

Beyond that advice, I'm sorry that I can't help you any further. Remember, if you can see the data in your Topic Note Editor after having opened your old top file in it, then it has successfully converted to a new topx file.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

RB, thanks indeed, that did it! However, what about a Study Note, since the same conversion did not work for that, please?

Hi Brian,
You open the old *.not file in your Study Note Editor in the same way as in you opened the old top in the Topic Note Editor.

To check if your data has been maintained, in your Study Note Editor, click on the Search button on the bottom toolbar, and in the search text box, type $, then select Regular Expressions (REGEX) in the Search dropdown combo box, and then click the Search button. You then should see all your Bible references for where you put your notes.

Hope this all helps.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#9 Smith Esseh

Smith Esseh

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

somebody help me. Im using e-sword on macbook pro and I'm unable to save my "study note" Journal Note" "and "topic Note". when I click on the save icon, nothing happens. I tried locating the folders where these notes may possibly be saved but I couldn't locate the folders on the mac. I need some help here please. Thanks 

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

somebody help me. Im using e-sword on macbook pro and I'm unable to save my "study note" Journal Note" "and "topic Note". when I click on the save icon, nothing happens. I tried locating the folders where these notes may possibly be saved but I couldn't locate the folders on the mac. I need some help here please. Thanks 

I don't know anything about OS X or iOS, and won't pretend that I do.

If my guess is correct, how one uses e-Sword in a OS X world would be pretty much the same as in a Linux and Windows world. So with that your notes, whether topic, study or journal would be the same right across the board.

As seen in the Screenshot below, when one wants to create a study note from a particular verse, it will be seen in the Bible view with a wavy underline.

Attached File  e-s_All 1030.PNG   699.61K   144 downloads

Another thing you will notice in the Screenshot at the bottom of the Study Note editor, that if there us more than one study note file it will be able to be accessed from a dropdown Combo Box. To create a new study note, topic note, or journal note file, press the Ctrl key and right click on the mouse, and a pop menu will appear. Click on New. A dialog box should appear, and from there you can give that new note its own file name. As to whether or not you have a Ctrl and an Alt key on your keyboard I don't know. When it comes to Macs, I am right out of my territory.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users