Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Problem With T4 Text Frames

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

Hi, Guys,

I'm having regular & recurring issues with T4's implementation of Text Frames. I'm including a couple of screenshot pics to best illustrate the problem.

Illustration 1 - notice the text frame in T4 appears to have proper use of tabs. Formatting looks good.
Illustration 2 - this is what it looks like in the eSword Reference Library. Notice that stubborn tab off to the right?

The only way I've been able to correct this problem is by actually removing that tab in T4; but then it is wrong in T4 (it's off one tab set in the other direction). This can't be right, can it?

I'm working on a book by Elmer Towns. He uses 100+ of these things in this .topx module. They don't all have issues like this, but enough of them do and it is really slowing me down. This module should have been done already; but with all these text frames that have to be created (.pdf conversion did not bring them in), and then look wrong in eSword, it is really s-l-o-w.

I suspect the problem has to do with tab sets in the text frame and how eSword is or is not correctly reading them. But even if this guess is correct, I'm unsure as how to fix the problem.

Any help?

Attached File  T4issue1.JPG   100.03K   34 downloads
Attached File  T4issue2.JPG   146.83K   27 downloads

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Hi, Guys,

I'm having regular & recurring issues with T4's implementation of Text Frames. I'm including a couple of screenshot pics to best illustrate the problem.

Illustration 1 - notice the text frame in T4 appears to have proper use of tabs. Formatting looks good.
Illustration 2 - this is what it looks like in the eSword Reference Library. Notice that stubborn tab off to the right?

The only way I've been able to correct this problem is by actually removing that tab in T4; but then it is wrong in T4 (it's off one tab set in the other direction). This can't be right, can it?

I'm working on a book by Elmer Towns. He uses 100+ of these things in this .topx module. They don't all have issues like this, but enough of them do and it is really slowing me down. This module should have been done already; but with all these text frames that have to be created (.pdf conversion did not bring them in), and then look wrong in eSword, it is really s-l-o-w.

I suspect the problem has to do with tab sets in the text frame and how eSword is or is not correctly reading them. But even if this guess is correct, I'm unsure as how to fix the problem.

Any help?

Attached File  T4issue1.JPG   100.03K   34 downloads
Attached File  T4issue2.JPG   146.83K   27 downloads

If I wanted to get it done now rather than waiting on someone to fix something, I would do everything in T4 but skip editing the text frames. Generate the topx file like you normally would when finished. Then do the real edit on text frames using e-Sword's topic editor.

#3 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

So - you're suggesting that there is a problem somewhere, and that I need to do "double editing" - is that (ugh) correct?

Dave

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

So - you're suggesting that there is a problem somewhere, and that I need to do "double editing" - is that (ugh) correct?

Sure, clearly there's a problem.

If you don't edit the text frame in T4, then when you do edit the the text frame in e-Sword, it won't be double editing--it's single editing! ;)

Ideal? No. Just a work around. For me, it's perfectly natural. I almost always tweak items in e-Sword's topic editor or with Raymond's tool.

#5 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

Do you have a simple RTF file example?

#6 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hi, Brent,

would you like me to post a short .rtf file here?

By the way - thanks so much for what you do!

Attached Files

Edited by DoctorDaveT, 18 May 2012 - 01:18 PM.

Dave

#7 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

One quick observation of your data. You have a gazillion tabs in the text frame. You are not taking advantage of tab settings. I did a copy and paste from your data into e-Sword and there was one outlier. Better to have just ONE tab between columns. Is this the cause? Donno BUT - I took out all the extra tabs, and set the single tab for each paragraph in the frame, and when I copied that into e-Sword, it looked fine. I did a few more things. I took out ALL tabs that were not being used. I centered the frame on the page. I took the title of the frame and made it left justified, but added a SINGE tab in front of the title and set the tab so that it would be a centering tab, so the title would stay over the tabs below it. I have attached my edits of your file below...

Attached Files

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

I hate playing with tabs. I just use a table whenever possible to align data. Much easier, in my view.

#9 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

I hate playing with tabs. I just use a table whenever possible to align data. Much easier, in my view.

Tables work for me! :-) That said, if you do use tabs, then only use the number of tabs you need.

One nice feature of Text Control v17 is that you can merge cells. I have not enabled this because v16, which is in e-Sword does not support merged cells. Merged cells are nice for having title blocks. Maybe in v18...

#10 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

OK, so I need merged cells for what I'm doing. So, yeah, that would be nice.

As to a gazillion tabs... I didn't add any. In fact, I tried to take them all out.

I hate tabs. I hate tables.

I think I'll move to Australia.

(Please note the reference to Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Or something close to that title. That should be made into an eSword module if we can secure copyright permission....)

PS - thanks, Brent, for making this gizmo go. I appreciate your hard work.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users