Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

I like the old e-Sword because .

32 replies to this topic

#11 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

Josh, Any insight into why the drag and drop no longer functions? that is a basic windows function in most any application. It seems weird to upgrade to a version of any software that removes drag and drop in favor of cut and paste..

e-Sword now uses a third party text control. So, whatever textcontrol.com puts into the text control is what Rick Meyers can pull out of it. If they do not put the drag and drop in, then Rick can't use it. e-Sword 10 switched to this new text control that handles the input and display of text that e-Sword reads from the modules.

#12 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

e-Sword now uses a third party text control. So, whatever textcontrol.com puts into the text control is what Rick Meyers can pull out of it. If they do not put the drag and drop in, then Rick can't use it. e-Sword 10 switched to this new text control that handles the input and display of text that e-Sword reads from the modules.

So I am guessing that there must be some reason that there was a switch to this third party code. Do you know the trade off was and if that drag and drop control is going to be re introduced to give functionality back to the software? I realize that this is not your software but hoping that you have some insight.

#13 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

So I am guessing that there must be some reason that there was a switch to this third party code. Do you know the trade off was and if that drag and drop control is going to be re introduced to give functionality back to the software? I realize that this is not your software but hoping that you have some insight.

He switched to textcontrol.com's text control to gain pictures, hyperlinks, and a more robust editor. The editor itself (in Topics, Journals, Study Notes) are all textcontrol.com's control. The icons, the toolbars, the functionality are all from the control.

I would think drag and drop would come with their Windows 8 version. But I don't know.

#14 Son seeker

Son seeker

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

I still use e-Sword V. 9 because of missing features and sometimes unpredictable results with the new editor controls. For example:
  • It's no longer possible to make "hanging" bullets the default setting in all editor windows, but rather each new paragraph has to be reset to "hanging" bullets by hand. "Hanging" bullets are default in every text editor I know, so I don't understand why it can't be incorporated in e-Sword. (Even this line I just typed here is a "hanging" bullet by default.)
  • Trying to change the default indentations in the format paragraph dialogue box causes very unpredictable results. It seems like any indentations other than 0.5" are simply ignored. Trying to combine first line indentations and second line indentations to achieve the "hanging" bullet format usually results in something very different than the values that were entered or no indentations at all.
  • If a bullet has been formatted by hand so the second line is also indented ("hanging"), then trying to indent such lines to a second or third level to achieve an outline format is very difficult and usually undoes the previous formatting. In V. 9 this can be done with one simple click to the "indent" icon to very easily create a mult-level outline format. In V. 10 it's either not possible or very labor intensive.
I've used the above formats in my topic and study notes for years and prefer to keep future notes in the same format. Unfortunately I can only do that by staying with V. 9 until the editor controls are hopefully updated sometime in the future.

I really like e-Sword and use it daily, and I appreciate very much all the time and effort that's been invested in it. But it is a bit frustrating when a software update adds new features but at the same time drops the most basic default features of any text editor like drag and drop, hanging bullet formats and multiple indentation.

#15 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:21 AM

Hi Son Seeker,

Have you tried using Tool Tip Tool to make your modules? I am sure that the hanging bullet points work.

Not upgrading to 10.1, you will miss out on new modules that has images.

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#16 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:52 AM

Josh, Any insight into why the drag and drop no longer functions? that is a basic windows function in most any application. It seems weird to upgrade to a version of any software that removes drag and drop in favor of cut and paste.

I know I can't answer that question except to say that maybe, at a rough guess, he could've forgotten to right the code in for that when he switched over to the new Text Control thingy for the editors.

Well, as the saying goes, "a stab in the dark is better than none." Well something like that, anyway.:)

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#17 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:56 AM

He switched to textcontrol.com's text control to gain pictures, hyperlinks, and a more robust editor. The editor itself (in Topics, Journals, Study Notes) are all textcontrol.com's control. The icons, the toolbars, the functionality are all from the control.

I would think drag and drop would come with their Windows 8 version. But I don't know.

Hi Josh,
Talk about being on the same wavelength, mate. My exact sentiments.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#18 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:01 AM

I really like e-Sword and use it daily, and I appreciate very much all the time and effort that's been invested in it. But it is a bit frustrating when a software update adds new features but at the same time drops the most basic default features of any text editor like drag and drop, hanging bullet formats and multiple indentation.

Just a note on that, Rick watches this site, and takes notice of comments like this. Moreover, if you got to his website, and put in your thoughts on his feedback page, you could just get a reply from him. It's worth a go.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#19 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

I still use e-Sword V. 9 because of missing features and sometimes unpredictable results with the new editor controls. For example:

• It's no longer possible to make "hanging" bullets the default setting in all editor windows, but rather each new paragraph has to be reset to "hanging" bullets by hand. "Hanging" bullets are default in every text editor I know, so I don't understand why it can't be incorporated in e-Sword. (Even this line I just typed here is a "hanging" bullet by default.)
  • Trying to change the default indentations in the format paragraph dialogue box causes very unpredictable results. It seems like any indentations other than 0.5" are simply ignored. Trying to combine first line indentations and second line indentations to achieve the "hanging" bullet format usually results in something very different than the values that were entered or no indentations at all.
  • If a bullet has been formatted by hand so the second line is also indented ("hanging"), then trying to indent such lines to a second or third level to achieve an outline format is very difficult and usually undoes the previous formatting. In V. 9 this can be done with one simple click to the "indent" icon to very easily create a mult-level outline format. In V. 10 it's either not possible or very labor intensive.
I've used the above formats in my topic and study notes for years and prefer to keep future notes in the same format. Unfortunately I can only do that by staying with V. 9 until the editor controls are hopefully updated sometime in the future.

I haven't seen anything that makes me want to stay with v9.

But I have seen a few things that cause concern. You are right--the control does have bugs and "unpredictable" things do happen. The control has some bugs that are difficult to replicate. But others are easy to replicate. For example, the control will throw an error and produce garbled RTF when you have a certain combination of cells in a table.

Also, the RTF input/output from the control is not always standard RTF. That's concerning for me because what happens if the third party company goes out of business? You then have modules for a control that doesn't exist. You are at their mercy, both in terms of features like drag and drop and whatever else they choose to do or not do. I've noticed far fewer bugs with other file formats, like doc or docx. Is RTF a priority for them?

Also, I'm unimpressed with their technical support and response to bugs (which makes me wonder, are they in business for the long term?). Response to technical support questions (where a 24 hour turn around is promised) is dismal.

#20 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

My sentiments exactly. Adding the pictures gives a nice touch but takes away at the same time. For me, I don't use pictures in the editor. For the most part I just want to use text and format my notes and make appealing to the eye as well. I'm hopeful that the drag and drop will be added but now it would seem that is in the hands of the code vendor at this point.

For a while I had dropped back to versioin 9 but switched back again to the new release. I like to be current.

Edited by MJ_, 16 May 2012 - 04:43 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users