Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Commentary

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

I received notification that eStudySource has just released Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Commentary for e-Sword 10.10. Below is the information about the Commentary from their website:

NOTE: This resource requires e-Sword v.10.1 or higher.

Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Commentary is a comprehensive verse-by-verse commentary for all Bible students. It is fully highlighted by articles, maps, charts, and illustrations - all in one volume.

This resource delivers complete verse-by-verse understanding of the entire Bible in an easy-reading style. Over 40 evangelical scholars joined efforts to offer the results of years of their reverent study in language you can use for personal growth, or sharing with others. Nearly 2.000 pages in print - all filled with with the latest scholarship and relevant insights for life from God’s Word. This resource displays it all in visually interesting ways. Anyone who wants to understand the meaning of God’s Word and its background more fully will find it here.

If you want to have this commentary, and you don't have the current version of e-Sword, then you need to upgrade.

The price is US$19.99. Not bad at all when you consider it costs heaps more if you were to buy the Hard copy.

Blessings,
Posted Image

Edited by APsit190, 11 May 2012 - 08:07 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#2 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

I just looked at preview for this commentary on Amazon. The contents look very similar to one of the first Bibles I had as a Christian - The Nelson's NKJV study Bible...

I remember it being a useful resource, I have not used it in years.

#3 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

I just looked at preview for this commentary on Amazon. The contents look very similar to one of the first Bibles I had as a Christian - The Nelson's NKJV study Bible...

The Bible I grew up with, and have used since I was 8 (25 years ago) is the Open Bible: Expanded Edition (KJV). My copy was falling apart so badly that I had resigned myself to finding a new Bible. Lo, and behold, I went to a used bookstore in Springfield, MO, and found a 20-year old copy of the exact Bible I had been using, but this copy looked as though it had never even been opened. I got it for $10.

You get to the point where you may not remember the exact book, chapter, and verse, but you can say with certainty, "it is on the upper right-hand column of the right page!"

#4 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

The Bible I grew up with, and have used since I was 8 (25 years ago) is the Open Bible: Expanded Edition (KJV). My copy was falling apart so badly that I had resigned myself to finding a new Bible. Lo, and behold, I went to a used bookstore in Springfield, MO, and found a 20-year old copy of the exact Bible I had been using, but this copy looked as though it had never even been opened. I got it for $10.

You get to the point where you may not remember the exact book, chapter, and verse, but you can say with certainty, "it is on the upper right-hand column of the right page!"

I gave up paper Bibles a couple of years ago. First for pocket e sword, now for MySword. I can now usually find a verse very quicky when I cannot remember the location if I can remember a word or two. That is one advantage of technology! The disadvantage is that the battery dies on you!

#5 Marvin

Marvin

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

I got a Kindle. The battery lasts for weeks! I have purchased a number of Bibles and references. Unfortunately, there is no version of e-Sword for the Kindle but what I have will do until something else comes along. The big advantage is that I can carry a reference library in one small book sized device and I only recarge once every week or two. It would certainly be nice if there were a version of e-Sword developed that could organize all of those reference books on the Kindle.

#6 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

I gave up paper Bibles a couple of years ago.

I'malmost at that point. If the apparatus that was included in the paper Bibles I have, was available for the Biblical Software I have, then I would probably drop paper Bibles altogether.

The only exception would be a paper Pulpit Bible, for reading the Daily Office at worship services.
(I've used e-Sword on my laptop for reading the Daily Office. It simply isn't as reliable as Biblical software, especially when starting at #b, or ending at #a.)

The disadvantage is that the battery dies on you!

A bigger disadvantage is that one usually can not take the eBibles with one, when one switches devices, either through upgrading, or increased portability, or increased mobility..

Case in point: The closest thing to a Bible Software Family that runs on all of my computing devices is The Sword Project. Even there, I have resources available on one device, that are not available for the other devices, because of the different front ends that the devices can utilize.

PocketBible (Laridian) and BibleReader (Olive Tree) are adequate for switching between Android, iOS, and WinMO 6.5 (and lower) devices. However, they don't offer anything for my laptop or desktop.

Not everything available for Logos on Windows or Mac OS, is available for the Andriod, or iOS platform.

I haven't tried Accordance on iOS or Android. Like Logos, it won't run on my desktop. However, Logos doesn't even pretend that their software can run on my desktop, unlike OakTree.

jonathon

#7 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

A bigger disadvantage is that one usually can not take the eBibles with one, when one switches devices, either through upgrading, or increased portability, or increased mobility..

jonathon

I am hoping that android/MySword will survive for a while so that this will not be an issue for me. I have a work issued android smartphone. They could switch me to iphone or something else. However, I also have my Samsung galaxy tab (7.0") with me most of the time and a backup 7.0" table that is my 2 year old daughter's now (yes, my 2 year old daughter has a tablet :)).

If work takes away my smartphone, I will probably just tote around a used android smartphone like I used to do with my Dell Axim for pocket e sword. I used smartphone is much smaller than a paper Bible and you can have an entire digital library with you to reseach almost any issue you might want to.

Most of the Bibles I use routinely I can read in theWord/ MySword/ e Sword/ and even Bible analyzer.

I have tried the free Logos app for android and it is just not in the same league as MySword as far as functioinality and usability. Unless one requires premium resources or more than the 66 book canon, none of the other android software compares to MySword. I think I have tried most of them that are available.

#8 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

I am hoping that android/MySword will survive for a while so that this will not be an issue for me.

The half life of a smartphone is around eighteen months.

my 2 year old daughter has a tablet

What does she use it for?

you can have an entire digital library with you to reseach almost any issue you might want to.

One issue I've come across with eBook reading programs, is that they don't offer a way to catalog, and retrieve information about the book. At a minimum, the entire Dublic Core metadata set would be included, and searchable. Instead, only author/title/last added/last read searches can be done. Not all programs offer that much search functionality. Not useful when one has 5K+ eBooks.

Unless one requires premium resources or more than the 66 book canon, none of the other android software compares to MySword. I think I have tried most of them that are available.

I'm slowly, very slowly, writing reviews of Biblical software for Android and iOS at A Scabbard for Biblical Software. (http://sword-and-sca...d.blogspot.com/). I'd do reviews of Biblical Software for Linux, but the only usable programs are BibleTime, Xiphos, and BibleEdit.

jonathon

#9 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

What does she use it for?

jonathon

There are dozens (maybe hundreds) of educational an fun apps designed for toddlers on the android market. Search for "toddler games" in the google play market and there is a seemingly endless list of apps. Most of them are free. She probably has about 20-30 apps that she opens on her own and then closes when she is done. My old tablet is pretty durable. I would not give her my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2....

#10 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

There are dozens (maybe hundreds) of educational an fun apps designed for toddlers on the android market. Search for "toddler games" in the google play market and there is a seemingly endless list of apps. Most of them are free. She probably has about 20-30 apps that she opens on her own and then closes when she is done. My old tablet is pretty durable. I would not give her my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2....

My 3 year old twins do the same with the iPad. I bet we have 30 apps, at least. And like yours, they navigate the apps amazingly well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users