Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

For those that have Nook Colors, Nook Tablets or Kindle Fires

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bornfreedom

bornfreedom

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

I have a Nook Tablet, Used to have a Nook Color and my brother owns a Kindle Fire.

All of the above can be legally rooted in order to have access to the Android Market (Google Play Store). The terms of the root are that you lose your Barnes and Noble/Amazon warranty, however this is hardly an issue due to the fact that the roots that are commonly available are soft roots and you can easily restore your device to its stock version which restores your warranty.

I felt the need to post this information because, well, its pretty awesome to have mysword on these devices as you can imagine.

If you have a Nook Tablet there is currently a root that does NOT revoke your warranty. The reason is that this root is not an internal root. Meaning that you apply the root to an SD Card and upon inserting the SD card and booting your device, it boots into the software via the card. When you turn off your device and remove the card you are back to your stock software. No changes are made to your device at all internally.

I personally prefer the internal root method. The folks at xda developers have worked and continue to work very hard at making these roots available. They are very candid about what is safe and what is risky. The current roots for kindle fire and nook color and tablet are extremely safe and tested.

My nook tablet has been a million times better since I discovered this.

Barnes and Noble will not suggest this and neither will Kindle fire, however they do not restrict it. (Why I will never know..lol)

Anyhow hope this was useful information.

The website where you can get better information and also download these roots is http://forum.xda-dev...play.php?f=1394 (for nook tablet)

http://forum.xda-dev...splay.php?f=860 (For Nook Color)

And http://forum.xda-dev...play.php?f=1306 (For Kindle Fire)

Again this is not anything illegal. Just developers working to make your devices MUCH BETTER.

GB

#2 bornfreedom

bornfreedom

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

If anyone decides to go this route and you have questions, concerns or perhaps are a little timid about these things, you can PM me and I will be more than glad to help walk you through the process either via e-mail (or phone if I have the time)

#3 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

Barnes and Noble will not suggest this and neither will Kindle fire, however they do not restrict it.

When the Nook was first released, there were scattered reports of B&N employees rooting it for customers, at the time of purchase.

(Why I will never know..lol)

It not only voids the warranty, but also means that they no longer have to provide any support for the device.
If rooting the device does not brick it, in the long run, a policy that tolerates rooting is more profitable than one that doesn't.

jonathon

#4 bornfreedom

bornfreedom

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

Jonathan, makes a lot of sense! And thankfully these devices are just about impossible to really brick..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users