Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Keeping your modules up to date

23 replies to this topic

#1 wrjman

wrjman

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

Is there a utility that 1) catalogs your installed modules - as E-Sword Resourcer does - and 2) checks that catalog against available downloads to let you know which modules need to be updated?

If such a utility is not available, which programing genius is going to take on the challenge of designing and writing such a tool?

#2 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

hi
try clicking down load from with in e-Sword program , you will see on the left side what is installed or not.

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#3 wrjman

wrjman

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

hi
try clicking down load from with in e-Sword program , you will see on the left side what is installed or not.

thanks

I believe "Download" shows only those modules that can be downloaded directly from e-Sword but does not include the ones downloaded from biblessupport.com. For example e-Sword's "Download" indicated I have downloaded or purchased 10 modules in the dictionaries section. Yet I have a total of 32 dictionaries loaded and available to the program. The means 22 are not tracked by "Download."

I would like to track every module available to the program, not just those obtained from e-Sword.

#4 Raymond Barone

Raymond Barone

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

Try this:

http://www.biblesupp...ibrary-manager/

#5 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

The 'Library Manager 1.4' is a great tool for managing resources already installed, but is there some way to compare whatever is already installed on any individual computer and what is available with updated modules? There have been times I've downloaded modules that had been updated, thinking I had the older series - and was wrong.

Actually, if possible, the perfect tool would present a list of modules available from BibleSupport.Com through some sort of module maniforld and the user could just check-off which modules they wanted. Everything would be automatic, including updates and initial installation. Then, for the module makers, they could submit their modules to Josh to be added upon the list for availability to the public. Perhaps as a seperate small piece of software like ToolTip is....

Just a thought. This is what a brother who deals with Logos modules has done and it works beautifully. (http://www.stilltrut...pbb-updater-v21) PortableApps.dom (http://portableapps.com/) offers the same sort of updater on it's software. It interogates what you already have and then you can add or update, depending on what you want to do.

Also, I would like to add, this website has been up for less than one year. In this short span of time there are already over 18,000 registered users having downloaded almost 3/4 million resources. It seems like an automatic download tool would be an advantage for the foreseeable traffic ahead, in my ever so humble opinion! LOL

Edited by LarryG, 06 May 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#6 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

There is a feature on BibleSupport.com which allows you to "follow" a file/upload. You will get a notification any time it has been updated. If you want to always have the latest version, then "follow" each file that you've downloaded, and then when any one is updated, you will be alerted to it, and can go download the new version.

#7 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

<br />
There is a feature on BibleSupport.com which allows you to &quot;follow&quot; a file/upload.&nbsp;&nbsp;You will get a notification any time it has been updated.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you want to always have the latest version, then &quot;follow&quot; each file that you've downloaded, and then when any one is updated, you will be alerted to it, and can go download the new version.

Yes, I'm aware of this feature.&nbsp; So let's look at what you're suggesting, OK? Let's say there are 1,000 registered users (about 5% of all users today) who each have 500+ modules in their eSword program. They want to keep them updated. You're suggesting that they should tag each module for a notification after it's been updated? Hmmm...that's 1/2 million tags, and it barely scratches the surface of the potential tagging paradgm.

Edited by LarryG, 06 May 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#8 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Try this:

http://www.biblesupp...ibrary-manager/

I have downloaded and installed this application. Although I am sure I have not fully utilized all of of it's capabilities I have benefited from some of it's features. this is a good tool that I recommend to everyone. Especially useful if you are a resource collector like myself.

#9 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Yes, I'm aware of this feature.&nbsp; So let's look at what you're suggesting, OK? Let's say there are 1,000 registered users (about 5% of all users today) who each have 500+ modules in their eSword program. They want to keep them updated. You're suggesting that they should tag each module for a notification after it's been updated? Hmmm...that's 1/2 million tags, and it barely scratches the surface of the potential tagging paradgm.

All I'm saying is that if you want to make sure you have the latest version of a module (the vast majority of which are never updated after the initial upload), just "follow" it, and then you get a notification if it is ever uploaded. I would venture to say that--at most--you'd be lucky to receive ten notifications per month. At this juncture, that is the only way I know of to try to make sure all your modules from BibleSupport are up-to-date. I'm open to any other realistic options (that being not searching the "latest updates" section of the website every day for changes to the modules I've downloaded).

Edited by Bradley S. Cobb, 06 May 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#10 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Ah, Mr. Cobb, the original query was this:

Is there a utility that 1) catalogs your installed modules - as E-Sword Resourcer does - and 2) checks that catalog against available downloads to let you know which modules need to be updated?

If such a utility is not available, which programing genius is going to take on the challenge of designing and writing such a tool?

It's accepted that there is not such a tool available, and therefore I was offering a viable, workable, "realistic" solution that works elsewhere. The purpose of such a tool is to benefit the end user, making it easier to stay updated without added emails or notices - the software does the interigation of previously loaded modules. The only down side for the end user is their ability to enter into these edifying conversations between the brethren, since many would avoid the site entirely after having this tool installed. Thank you for your attentive and constructive input. Sincerely, your brother in Christ. lg

Edited by LarryG, 06 May 2012 - 07:50 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users