Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Scofield Module Incomplete- Ideas?

27 replies to this topic

#1 Dr MIke Johnston

Dr MIke Johnston

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

The Old Scofield notes are incomplete, often leaving out more than half of the content. Has anyone found a solution to either adding to the notes or finding a compatible module for e-sword?? Thanks

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

The Scofield Notes that has the "Scofield" tab in the Commentaries window? It's missing half the content?

#3 Dr MIke Johnston

Dr MIke Johnston

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yes it is. I wrote to Rick Meyers when I first discovered it 2 years or so ago, but never received a reply. Any ideas ?? :)

#4 Dr MIke Johnston

Dr MIke Johnston

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Example from Isaiah 13:1, the e-sword Scofield reads as follows:

Babylon

The city, Babylon is not in view here, as the immediate context shows. It is important to note the significance of the name when used symbolically. "Babylon" is the Greek form: invariably in the Old Testament Hebrew, the word is simply "Babel

However the note actually is supposed to read:

Babylon
The city, Babylon is not in view here, as the immediate context shows. It is important to note the significance of the name when used symbolically. "Babylon" is the Greek form: invariably in the O.T. Hebrew the word is simply Babel, the meaning of which is confusion, and in this sense the word is used symbolically.
(1) In the prophets, when the actual city is not meant, the reference is to the "confusion" into which the whole social order of the world has fallen under Gentile world-domination. (See "Times of the Gentiles," Luke 21:24 ; Revelation 16:14 ; Isaiah 13:4 gives the divine view of the welter of warring Gentile powers. The divine order is given in Isa. 11. Israel in her own land, the centre of the divine government of the world and channel of the divine blessing; and the Gentiles blessed in association with Israel. Anything else is, politically, mere "babel."
(2) In Revelation 14:8-11 ; 16:19 the Gentile world-system is in view in connection with Armageddon ; Revelation 16:14 ; 19:21 while in Re 17. the reference is to apostate Christianity, destroyed by the nations Revelation 17:16 headed up under the Beast ; Daniel 7:8 ; Revelation 19:20 and false prophet. In Isaiah the political Babylon is in view, literally as to the then existing city, and symbolically as to the times of the Gentiles. In the Revelation both the symbolical- political and symbolical-religious Babylon are in view, for there both are alike under the tyranny of the Beast. Religious Babylon is destroyed by political Babylon Revelation 17:16 political Babylon by the appearing of the Lord Revelation 19:19-21 . That Babylon the city is not to be rebuilt is clear from ; Isaiah 13:19-22 ; Jeremiah 51:24-26 Jeremiah 51:62-64 . By political Babylon is meant the Gentile world-system. (See "World," ; John 7:7 ; Revelation 13:8 ) It may be added that, in Scripture symbolism, Egypt stands for the world as such; Babylon for the world of corrupt power and corrupted religion; Nineveh for the pride, the haughty glory of the world.

Although I've found several others that repeat this same pattern of incompleteness, I can't list them from memory. :)

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Looks like the complete text exists in many other places on the internet. I'll import the complete text from elsewhere and publish as a module.

#6 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Looks like the complete text exists in many other places on the internet. I'll import the complete text from elsewhere and publish as a module.

Josh,
My MySword module seems to have the complete text, at least for that example above. I must have taken this from the official theWord version which is probably not encrypted since it is public domain.

I do not know if it is easier to backwards migrate the theWord version or redo from web sources Just another ideas.

Peter

#7 Dr MIke Johnston

Dr MIke Johnston

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thank you brother Josh. I depend on these notes so much and I appreciate your labor of love. How will I know when and where this new module is available?

#8 Dr MIke Johnston

Dr MIke Johnston

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Thank you, too, brother Peter- for the input.

#9 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Mike - have you seen the Scofield reference dictionary module, built by our friend "Dyan"?

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#10 Dr MIke Johnston

Dr MIke Johnston

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Thank you Dr. Dave- no, brother, I have not. Where is it :) ?? I use the latest e-sword- is it compatible and can I just download it like other modules?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users