Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Greetings from the Deep Woods

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Franklin

Ed Franklin

e-Sword Supporter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I was referred to this forum just a couple days ago because of a nightmarish experience I am currently "enjoying" with e-Sword.

So, I just popped in with my situation and request for help without an introduction. I must say the helpful folks here are a blessing. The problem is not yet solved but it's nice to have help and support in a matter which is very frustrating.

I am aging country preacher, living in the woods of southern middle Tennessee. For the past ten years or so, I've worked almost exclusively in prison ministry. Now I'm at the point physically where I can hardly cover all the hills and valleys going from unit to unit and have had to scale back my efforts. My heart is still incarcerated, however.

Thanks to all ...for the forum, for the help; looking forward to fellowship here.

#2 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hello and welcome to Bible Support Brother Ed. I hope that you enjoy Bible Support as much as I do. I respect the ministry you are doing and will pray for you.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#3 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

I was referred to this forum just a couple days ago because of a nightmarish experience I am currently "enjoying" with e-Sword.

So, I just popped in with my situation and request for help without an introduction. I must say the helpful folks here are a blessing. The problem is not yet solved but it's nice to have help and support in a matter which is very frustrating.

I am aging country preacher, living in the woods of southern middle Tennessee. For the past ten years or so, I've worked almost exclusively in prison ministry. Now I'm at the point physically where I can hardly cover all the hills and valleys going from unit to unit and have had to scale back my efforts. My heart is still incarcerated, however.

Thanks to all ...for the forum, for the help; looking forward to fellowship here.

That is a very nice intro Ed.
I hope your troubles with Esword are soon solved. Esword, for me is a very valuable tool that I use pretty much every day for study and note taking. There are just so many options and features that I am constantly, pleasantly surprised at how useful a tool it really is.

I hope your health will continue so that you are able to continue in your work.
Would you care to share how you became involved in prison ministry?

Mj

#4 Ed Franklin

Ed Franklin

e-Sword Supporter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

Thank you, MJ!

e-Sword seems to be "alive and well" thanks to the excellent help I got here....and I'm grateful to God to have my study aid back.

"how you became involved in prison ministry...." You know I'm a preacher, right?...Nevertheless, I'll try to give the "short answer" :)

My first pastor (I was converted at 32) had an on-going county jail ministry and invited me to go with his team, which I did. As I felt the leading to preach, he allowed me to preach in some of those jail meetings. This went on (and off) for years as I dabbled in it, pastored a couple congregations, planted a couple churches, and worked full time, raising children, etc.

Ten years ago, I had a family member incarcerated in a county jail. I knew the chaplain and asked him to minister to the fellow. As time went on, I learned that that inmate nor any others were getting any kind of spiritual attention, that the "chaplain" was a token, a facade. I was angry! "Why doesn't someone do something!" And though I am not one to hear God calling audibles in my ear, He spoke to my heart in response to that cry...."What are you doing?"

I ended up being directed by my original pastor again (30 years down the road) who was then working with an international prison ministry. He got me set up as a volunteer with them and my wife and I worked in prisons in Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee. (She and I have a deal--I don't sing and she doesn't preach.....). Her health failed first and she's been inactive for several years; I am slowed down but not stopped. It's a ministry which cannot be adequately described, but I will say "the greatest experience by far" of my efforts to be a representative of Christ.

#5 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

Kia ora (Long life and G'day) Ed all the way from the other (best) end of the world, Godzone (New Zealand).

Great to have you here. Reading your short story was certainly a blessing to me. So, thanks a heap for what you've shared.

Kia kaha (be strong) in the Lord,

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#6 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Having lived in Clarksville and its environs for a time, I know of the beautify of Tennessee. Perhaps the Lord is just slowing you down a bit so that you can see enjoy some of His creations which he has placed about you.

I hope you get your issues with e-Sword resolved.

God bless.
Posted Image

#7 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Kia ora (Long life and G'day) Ed all the way from the other (best) end of the world, Godzone (New Zealand).

Great to have you here. Reading your short story was certainly a blessing to me. So, thanks a heap for what you've shared.

Kia kaha (be strong) in the Lord,

Blessings,

Did they move New Zealand, cause I just thought I read it was on the best end of the world.. Rev. 6.14 got here sooner than I thought! B) :)

Edited by MJ_, 23 April 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#8 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thank you, MJ!

e-Sword seems to be "alive and well" thanks to the excellent help I got here....and I'm grateful to God to have my study aid back.

"how you became involved in prison ministry...." You know I'm a preacher, right?...Nevertheless, I'll try to give the "short answer" :)

I ended up being directed by my original pastor again (30 years down the road) who was then working with an international prison ministry. He got me set up as a volunteer with them and my wife and I worked in prisons in Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee. (She and I have a deal--I don't sing and she doesn't preach.....). Her health failed first and she's been inactive for several years; I am slowed down but not stopped. It's a ministry which cannot be adequately described, but I will say "the greatest experience by far" of my efforts to be a representative of Christ.

I've heard it said that life is a circle, that the world is really a small place.. It is true sometimes..
Thanks for sharing your story.. it is indeed a great honor to be a representative of Christ.
There can be no greater calling than the ministry, don't you think?
As a young man I dreamed of being in the ministry but life did not take me that way. Perhaps in the future God will have me do something more worthwhile than my current role.

Very nice meeting you Ed... I hope you will be able to continue in your calling for a long time to come...

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Did they move New Zealand, cause I just thought I read it was on the best end of the world.. Rev. 6.14 got here sooner than I thought! B) :)

Well, I dunno. That said, however New Zealand is (if you're in the Mid West and going south on that line) Currently 17 hours ahead of you. If you are in your Standard time and we are in our Daylight saving time, we are 19 hours in front of you. Now, here is what that means:

If we were having a conversation on the phone, you would be talking to me in your tomorrow, and I'd be talking to you in my yesterday. Currently its Tuesday here, whilst its Monday over at your end of the world. Here, Monday's has well and truly been and gone, and done and dusted, and you blokes are dragging your feet in trying to catch up LOL.

So, when it comes to who is where, and what is where, and when it comes to the Resurrection and the big thingy (rapture) and if one is counting the time of the day when its going to happen, us Kiwi Christians will be going up way ahead of you blokes over there, beating you to it. Now, I really can't make this a Biblical doctrine as, well you know, we just haven't got a clue to what the time of the day its gonna be or anything like that. So I reckon it would be quite dicky to make a doctrine out of this. But its an entertaining thought imagining you blokes kicking and screaming in trying to catch up.

Nice theory, hey!

Oh yeah, before I forget, Dave Dobbyn, a Kiwi Christian Rock singer, years ago composed a song relating to NZ and called it "A slice of Heaven." So not only is NZ known as Godzone, she's also a slice of heaven, mate. Now I reckon that has to be totally tops.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#10 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well, I dunno. That said, however New Zealand is (if you're in the Mid West and going south on that line) Currently 17 hours ahead of you. If you are in your Standard time and we are in our Daylight saving time, we are 19 hours in front of you. Now, here is what that means:

If we were having a conversation on the phone, you would be talking to me in your tomorrow, and I'd be talking to you in my yesterday. Currently its Tuesday here, whilst its Monday over at your end of the world. Here, Monday's has well and truly been and gone, and done and dusted, and you blokes are dragging your feet in trying to catch up LOL.

So, when it comes to who is where, and what is where, and when it comes to the Resurrection and the big thingy (rapture) and if one is counting the time of the day when its going to happen, us Kiwi Christians will be going up way ahead of you blokes over there, beating you to it. Now, I really can't make this a Biblical doctrine as, well you know, we just haven't got a clue to what the time of the day its gonna be or anything like that. So I reckon it would be quite dicky to make a doctrine out of this. But its an entertaining thought imagining you blokes kicking and screaming in trying to catch up.

Nice theory, hey!

Oh yeah, before I forget, Dave Dobbyn, a Kiwi Christian Rock singer, years ago composed a song relating to NZ and called it "A slice of Heaven." So not only is NZ known as Godzone, she's also a slice of heaven, mate. Now I reckon that has to be totally tops.

Blessings,

Godzone, a slice of heaven.. I guess you have the reputation to back up your claim! :)
I stand corrected.., and a day behind at that... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users