Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Computer Science: e-Sword and Databases. Part 1

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 John Peterson

John Peterson

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hi John,

Well, you really had to pose a really hard question, didn't you?!

I think the only way you can do this, and this is only in theory, or maybe not so much theory but hard yakka (work, like in a real grind), which is to copy and past the data from one database format into another database format, i.e., from MS Access to SQLite. OK, with that said, when it comes to Pocket e-Sword resources, my understanding is (which I hope someone can validate this) that all Pocket e-Sword resources are HTML or CSS or something similar type files.

I hope this is helpful to you on which you can work with.

Blessings,

Sorry, didn't mean to cause your brain any pain! ;-) However, I find it hard to believe that no one else has asked the question. Although I've searched the Internet for the answer before, I have yet to find either where someone has asked or a solution was given.

I'm not as concerned about converting the resources as I am the user data. If the user data is indeed MS Access, do you need a licensed copy of the software in order to open and read it, or is there some other free software that can be used? Once it's determined what the user data format is, do I need to change the file extension in order to open it? If it ends up being a database file, will the database software be able to read it in such a way that I can parse through the records and visually read the record fields?

Thanks (again)!

John

Although it may not be easy or straightforward as to how to do it, I believe it's going to be worth the effort. At the time, the Lord was giving me personal revelation and encouragement in the middle of many sleepless nights, and I'm at a place now where I need the reminders of what He had spoken and promised me!

#22 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

John Peterson these are some apps that created Pocket eSword files and may export also

BesT2 Premium 

http://e-sword-users.../users/node/190

this is a sentence from the page

The Premium version has all the features of the Standard version as well as creating and exporting Pocket e-Sword modules.

here is BesT2 not sure if it is premium 

http://www.biblesupp...ile/2524-best2/

this is bpest  may or maynot help

http://www.biblesupp...t-e-sword-tool/

Edited by DSaw, 29 September 2014 - 07:09 PM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#23 Debi Johns Richardson

Debi Johns Richardson

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

How do I recover highlighted text when switching from one module to another?

#24 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

How do I recover highlighted text when switching from one module to another?

Highlighting is module specific it not universal

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#25 kalwin

kalwin

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

How do I create bible module using new HTLM capabilities within SQLite db?

A small snippet would suffice.

Thanks.

#26 schulzhm

schulzhm

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 03:02 PM

I'm looking for help regarding e-Sword's ability to convert my topics (file extension *.topx) content to a reference book (*.refx).

The conversion creates a refx file that lacks the "details" table e-Sword uses to organize reference book files (rather than renaming the file as I have been doing).  I've been successful adding the "details" table using DB Browser for SqLite and can use Tab Renamer to modify details - I prefer this over changing the filename.  Unfortunately adding "details" causes the content of the reference book to not display!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hank

#27 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 03:18 PM

I'm looking for help regarding e-Sword's ability to convert my topics (file extension *.topx) content to a reference book (*.refx).

The conversion creates a refx file that lacks the "details" table e-Sword uses to organize reference book files (rather than renaming the file as I have been doing).  I've been successful adding the "details" table using DB Browser for SqLite and can use Tab Renamer to modify details - I prefer this over changing the filename.  Unfortunately adding "details" causes the content of the reference book to not display!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hank

The correct instructions for converting topx to refx can be found on page 176 of the e-Sword users manual here are the steps:

To convert Topic Notes to Reference Book format:
1. While pressing the Ctrl key, right-click the mouse in the Topic Notes window.
2. Click the Convert to Reference Book option.
3. Choose where to save the REFX module. You should choose your e-Sword installation folder, usually c:\program files\e-Sword, unless you changed the location where e-Sword reads modules. See the Changing Your e-Sword Resources and Files Location section if necessary.
4. A confirmation box tells you to restart e-Sword to see the Reference Library book in the Reference Library.
Note that you will only see the new REFX module if you saved the module in your e-Sword Resources and Files Location folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users