Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Computer Science: e-Sword and Databases. Part 1

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Relational databases and flat file databases are in simplest terms lists. The difference is that a relational database has as one of its fields a primary key.

This fields value (the data it contains) MUST be unique and CAN NOT be repeated in any other record in THAT table.

Then in a second table you can have a field that refers back to that unique key in the first table. (This referencing field is NOT a primary key so it CAN have/repeat the same info ).

So by referring to that primary key, the second table can "relate back" to the first. With that key you can access the data with out having had to enter the same info over and over again.

Like a customer list and a purchase order list. You only need to have your customer info entered once (Name, Address, Phone number), assign them a unique customer account number, and then in your purchase order table you refer to the customer account number.

When you display the purchase order, the Customer account table is accessed to get the customer info (via the unique account number, i.e. primary key) and the detailed purchase order info from the second table.

With a Flat file you would have to have entered (stored in the table) that customer info (All of it, Name, Address, Phone, etc) for every item on the purchase order.

This saves space in a big way. It speeds up searches, reduces data entry errors, and simplifies data maintaince.

Roy

#12 BobSingleton

BobSingleton

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

I have some old Bible files with bbl and cmt extensions.
Can you tell me how to convert those to bblx and cmtx, or if this will even work?

Thanks

#13 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

Can you tell me how to convert those to bblx and cmtx, or if this will even work?

Thanks

There used to be a conversion tool at e-sword.net but it has since been removed. I have found it here: http://goodolclint.com/e-sword.

#14 Roy

Roy

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Thanks

A quick look in (e-sword downloads > More Categories > e-sword utilities) will give you at least two options. Below are links to each and a short cut & pasted description. I hope this helps.

Roy

This tool converts e-Sword v7 to v9 modules. It is good when you make modules in v7 (maps) and you want to use them in v9.

http://www.biblesupp...word-converter/

Then you have...

"e-Sword 9 Converter is a tool for converting e-Sword 8.0.6 specification adherent modules to e-Sword 9.x modules and is coded by Clint Branham, Jr. -- esword9@goodolclint.com. Brother Clint’s purpose in writing this utility was at first for his own private use, but soon grew into an effort to assist the entire e-Sword community in making it through the e-Sword v9 update with as little pain as possible."

What separates this converter from others I've seen is batch conversion. You can convert eSword 8 files in quantity (or batch). I've personally converted a few hundred 8.x resources to 9.x in just a couple of minutes.

http://www.biblesupp...rd-9-converter/

Edited by Roy, 22 September 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#15 Johannes vdZwan

Johannes vdZwan

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLima - Peru

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

Thanks a lot for the information.

My question is, is there a way that I can use the databases in VBA Word. If so is there anybody that can help me with that.

I would like be able to create ScreenTips with bible information.

Thanks a lot in advance.

#16 JC@samm

JC@samm

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Please disregard my last question "How to read a CMTX file?" as I already found the answer. Thanks still. God bless.

Edited by JC@samm, 04 January 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#17 nightweaver

nightweaver

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:27 AM

I can see the contents of the database files but like others find that the Scripture field is a blob. Should I conclude from the thread so far that nobody is saying how to convert the blob into the actual text of the Scripture?

If so it seems very strange to not disclose how to get the text from the blob, when anyone can use e-sword at no cost and save the entire text of the Bible translation in question as a text/RTF file within just a few minutes.

#18 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

I can see the contents of the database files but like others find that the Scripture field is a blob. Should I conclude from the thread so far that nobody is saying how to convert the blob into the actual text of the Scripture?

If so it seems very strange to not disclose how to get the text from the blob, when anyone can use e-sword at no cost and save the entire text of the Bible translation in question as a text/RTF file within just a few minutes.

You didn't read this thread from the start, because the answer is clearly posted. Official and Premium e-Sword files are either password locked or encrypted, so they are designed to prevent what you're wanting to do. There is no disclosure unless the author gives you the password or encryption key. This doesn't happen, so I guess you'll have to do it the way that you suggested.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#19 John Peterson

John Peterson

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

I used to run Pocket e-Sword on my Windows Mobile 5 smartphone. I still have my journal, highlights, and bookmarks files. Since Pocket e-Sword is no longer supported and there never was a means to sync your mobile e-Sword data with your desktop e-Sword data (at least that I'm aware of), I have mobile e-Sword data that I would like to import into my desktop data. Is there any apps or scripts that make this possible? Regardless of whether one exists that does it directly or there is a multistep procedure to get the same end result, it doesn't matter to me. I am a software engineer so I understand code, but I lack the experience with databases. So, if there is just some sort of app or script that can read the Pocket e-Sword database files, I can at least take that and either manually re-enter the data into e-Sword, or write some sort of code to merge the data into the desktop database files.

Thanks in advance for any help!

God bless!

John

#20 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

I used to run Pocket e-Sword on my Windows Mobile 5 smartphone. I still have my journal, highlights, and bookmarks files. Since Pocket e-Sword is no longer supported and there never was a means to sync your mobile e-Sword data with your desktop e-Sword data (at least that I'm aware of), I have mobile e-Sword data that I would like to import into my desktop data. Is there any apps or scripts that make this possible? Regardless of whether one exists that does it directly or there is a multistep procedure to get the same end result, it doesn't matter to me. I am a software engineer so I understand code, but I lack the experience with databases. So, if there is just some sort of app or script that can read the Pocket e-Sword database files, I can at least take that and either manually re-enter the data into e-Sword, or write some sort of code to merge the data into the desktop database files.

Thanks in advance for any help!

God bless!

John

Hi John,

Well, you really had to pose a really hard question, didn't you?!

I think the only way you can do this, and this is only in theory, or maybe not so much theory but hard yakka (work, like in a real grind), which is to copy and past the data from one database format into another database format, i.e., from MS Access to SQLite. OK, with that said, when it comes to Pocket e-Sword resources, my understanding is (which I hope someone can validate this) that all Pocket e-Sword resources are HTML or CSS or something similar type files.

I hope this is helpful to you on which you can work with.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users