Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Difficulties for the blind on the newer versions of e-Sword

4 replies to this topic

#1 david.stokely@gmail.com

david.stokely@gmail.com

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBristol, Indiana

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

A blind friend of mine is in his third year of Bible college.  He loves e-Sword, but the last several versions of the software will not work with his screen grabber software.  I don't know that there is a solution for this, but I thought that I would post the issue raise awareness of the problem.

i am only newly registered on this forum this morning, and I didn't want to  duplicate a known issue, therefore I did a search for the word 'blind' and didn't see any topics on this, but I did see some non-specific references referring to accessibility issues and the newer versions of the software.

I appreciate any help or maybe a work around tip  for this issue.

#2 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

will not work with his screen grabber software.

What screen reader program is he using?
I haven't found one that works correctly with e-Sword 10.x.

therefore I did a search for the word 'blind' and didn't see any topics on this

I think that e-Sword 7.9.4 is the most accessible version of e-Sword.

Considering the the blind_e-Sword list is virtually dead, I suspect that most blind users have migrated to another program. However, I don't know which one. :(

jonathon

#3 david.stokely@gmail.com

david.stokely@gmail.com

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBristol, Indiana

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

He uses 'Jaws'.

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

What screen reader program is he using?
I haven't found one that works correctly with e-Sword 10.x.

I think that e-Sword 7.9.4 is the most accessible version of e-Sword.

Considering the the blind_e-Sword list is virtually dead, I suspect that most blind users have migrated to another program. However, I don't know which one. :(

jonathon

They may have gone to sites like this: http://bartimaeus.us/

Or websites, such as http://biblos.com/ where the web browser will synchronize Bible text with various commentaries. I bet they're using online resources, some of which are probably a lot more blind friendly than biblos. I imagine web browsers can be made very blind friendly, depending on which site the person visits.

#5 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

I bet they're using online resources,

Offline.
Most of the online bible study sites that allow users to take notes, require a mouse for navigation.

I imagine web browsers can be made very blind friendly, depending on which site the person visits.

Whilst web sites can be made blind-friendly, most webdesigners seem to delight in providing a11y-hostile sites.
Flash, java, javascript, automatic audio on, and unlabelled imaged combine to make websites unusable with browsers and screen readers.

The simple rule is that if a site can't be navigated using Lynx, with cookies turned off, the site is a11y-hostile.

Alternatively, throw away your monitor, keyboard, audio card, and mouse, and spend an hour navigating your website. If there are no differences between that experience, and using those tools, an A11Y friendly site has been constructed.

jonathon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users