Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Older versions of e-Sword

28 replies to this topic

#1 Vaughn

Vaughn

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationKaufman, Texas

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

I am wondering why people are not upgrading? I can understand the people do to disabilities that need an older version of e-Sword, however, I see multiple request for older versions of e-Sword. Is it an issue of wanting to create using and older version and then converting the file? Josh has his hands full with just what is current and he is working on for resources, I can't imagine what going back to version 7 would be like. I have version 8 on my laptop so I can sort and shift through my older modules and make them new again. But if your are wanting or using and older version of e-Sword tell us why and why you are not willing to update to the latest version.
Grace and Peace,
Your fellow Swordsman,
Vaughn R. Jacobs

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

I am wondering why people are not upgrading? I can understand the people do to disabilities that need an older version of e-Sword, however, I see multiple request for older versions of e-Sword. Is it an issue of wanting to create using and older version and then converting the file? Josh has his hands full with just what is current and he is working on for resources, I can't imagine what going back to version 7 would be like. I have version 8 on my laptop so I can sort and shift through my older modules and make them new again. But if your are wanting or using and older version of e-Sword tell us why and why you are not willing to update to the latest version.

Hi Vaughn,
There are several reasons why people wont upgrade, and perhaps the two main ones that comes to mind are:
  • The have tons of resources for the earlier version that would take them ages to either or both replace and/or convert.
  • They like and prefer the old version that they don't want to upgrade. Its like a pair of old socks that's comfortable despite it being full of holes they just don't want to throw it away (good theory at least).
And I really think that's really about it.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#3 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

I can give you another one:

They don't realize there is an upgrade. Some people (I'd go so far as to say MOST people who download e-Sword) will try it out, and if they like it, they will continue with the version that they downloaded. It is only when they (1) get a new computer, (2) have to restore their computer, (3) forget they've already got e-Sword that they will download an updated version. It is only the geeks (like me) who bother to search for extra add-on modules in the first place. Just ask Josh: 10,000 + downloads of e-Sword per day. average of 3500 (give or take) downloads from Biblesupport per day. Add the fact that the 3500 downloads from here are done by far fewer than 3500 individuals, and you end up with an awful lot of people who are using e-Sword as-is.

If not for the fact that my father-in-law had to get a new computer late last year, he'd still be using e-Sword 6.

#4 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

It is only when they (1) get a new computer, (2) have to restore their computer,

That probably eliminates everybody who recieved a copy of e-Sword with their Bible.

If not for the fact that my father-in-law had to get a new computer late last year, he'd still be using e-Sword 6.

On second thoughts, maybe not, since e-Sword 5.x was included in Bibles until either 2004 or 2005.

jonathon

#5 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Just ask Josh: 10,000 + downloads of e-Sword per day.

I just noticed on the e-Sword history page that there were 5,000,000 downloads of e-Sword in 2011. That is an average of 13,698 downloads per day.

Back at September 2001, Rick was astounded to have 40,000 downloads in three weeks.

average of 3500 (give or take) downloads from Biblesupport per day.

I get 1,739.98630137 downloads. However, I'm dividing 635,095 by 365. This is too many days, because the site hasn't been up for a year.
2,082.278688525 downloads if I divide by 305, which is closer to the startup date here.

For those not paying attention, the downloads per day I give, are from when this site opened its doors. This figure should be lower than the rolling average number of downloads for the previous 30, 60, or 90 days.

Truth's 3,500 downloads per day could easilly be average number of downloads per day for the previous 60, or even 90 days.

Between the time e-Sword-users.org shut down, and biblesupport.com was created, Josh questioned the data transfer rates I was using. Whilst my figures were wrong, the growth here has been fast.

Add the fact that the 3500 downloads from here are done by far fewer than 3500 individuals,

Three stats that surprised me.
  • The top downloader here has downloaded more than twice as many files as are available here;
  • The 20th highest downloader has downloaded more than 2,500 files.
  • The average number of files downloaded per person is 40.272352568; (Number of downloads/number of people who downloaded a file);
In looking at top file submitters:
  • the 20th on that list has submitted 8 resources.
  • The 6th on that list has submitted 105;
  • The second on that list has submitted 1,099;
  • The average number of files submitted per contributor is 117.811320755. (Number of submitted files/number of contributors)
  • Module Bot (3,801 resources) is influencing both the mean and the median.
Now wondering what the modes of each of those is.

and you end up with an awful lot of people who are using e-Sword as-is.

I have to wonder how many e-Sword downloads were of people updating to the most recent version. Rick did three major updates, and almost a dozen minor updates to e-Sword last year.

jonathon

#6 holyman

holyman

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

Number one reason...........................

Every time I attempted to download "a" version of e-sword I get a security warning!

#7 turnsouth

turnsouth

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Another reason: Some like their Bible software independent of the internet. (China, Iran, etc...)

#8 GerhardG

GerhardG

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

Ease of use - I don't have time to struggle to get everything working again.

Why "fix" something if it ain't broken?

Some programs need internet - I don't want programs like that at all!.

I use an old MS Office Suite (2000) to access the mdb database that I'm working on
(cannot afford new software, I'm from South Africa and with the exchange rate it costs a fortune for us - about 10x as much as for you guys).

Edited by GerhardG, 10 September 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#9 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

One of the main reason why I like e-Sword is, I do not need the Internet to use the software.
The other reason is that I can make any resource into a module so I can study the Bible

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#10 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

Number one reason...........................

Every time I attempted to download "a" version of e-sword I get a security warning!

e-Sword is completely safe and always has been. There's never been a record of virus, trojan, or anything otherwise harmful connected to e-Sword.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users