Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Older versions of e-Sword

28 replies to this topic

#21 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:46 AM

http://www.biblesupp...-best2-premium/
Hi

you can use Best 2 Premium found here

Use the conversation section. Drag version 10x modules over the blue bar and it will convert to version 7x

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#22 Ariel K.

Ariel K.

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:59 AM

Patchworkid, thanks for everything!

#23 Mark Duhon

Mark Duhon

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:00 PM

I've been using 7.8.5 on my (Mint, Zorin, & Ubuntu) Linux machines (as well as 1 W2k and 1 XP box) since late 2007. I accumulated many modules from the nooks and crannies of the 'net and a good number could not be converted to the newer database format. I continue to be productive with the old version.

I would provide links to both 7.8.5 and 8.0.6 from my Dropbox acccount, but rule #16 of the Forum Rules states, essentially: New = better, thus Old = banned. Funny how I had to trip into this forum to learn that.

#24 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

Hi Nark,

I believe that Josh allows you to post v7 modules on this site. I think he does not convert or make modules for it.

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#25 Mark Duhon

Mark Duhon

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

The 7.8.5 and 8.0.6 files I'm talking about are the .exe program files. I have almost 2.5Gb of modules (.bbl, .top, .cmt, .map, & .dct).

#26 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

Hi dear Vaughn,

One additional answer, which may have been covered above, is that certain features in modules that I've been working on for years stop working when I upgrade to a newer version of E-Sword.  This was precisely the case with version 10.4, since I have spent years developing bookmarks and Hebrew text, and getting it to function properly in E-Sword 10.1 was quite a challenge.

As soon as I upgraded to E-Sword 10.4, both bookmarks and Hebrew text stopped working, or were flipped backwards (respectively).

I'm not blaming the new version, but it seems to be a "delicate, or fine-tuned balance" between using certain editors, like Tooltip, and the version of E-Sword that I'm running.  If I change one single thing, sometimes things stop working.

Again, I'm not placing blame, but simply answering why I'm extremely hesitate to try something new.  As someone else said, "If it's not broke, don't fix it."  I wish this wasn't the case though, as I'm a bit irritated that no version of E-Sword has (apparently) had an operable "Go To / Find on Page" search function.

Yes, finally, 10.4 has it, but is unacceptable for the issues mentioned above.

Thomas

#27 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hi dear Vaughn,

One additional answer, which may have been covered above, is that certain features in modules that I've been working on for years stop working when I upgrade to a newer version of E-Sword.  This was precisely the case with version 10.4, since I have spent years developing bookmarks and Hebrew text, and getting it to function properly in E-Sword 10.1 was quite a challenge.

As soon as I upgraded to E-Sword 10.4, both bookmarks and Hebrew text stopped working, or were flipped backwards (respectively).

I'm not blaming the new version, but it seems to be a "delicate, or fine-tuned balance" between using certain editors, like Tooltip, and the version of E-Sword that I'm running.  If I change one single thing, sometimes things stop working.

Again, I'm not placing blame, but simply answering why I'm extremely hesitate to try something new.  As someone else said, "If it's not broke, don't fix it."  I wish this wasn't the case though, as I'm a bit irritated that no version of E-Sword has (apparently) had an operable "Go To / Find on Page" search function.

Yes, finally, 10.4 has it, but is unacceptable for the issues mentioned above.

Thomas

#28 DKHagans

DKHagans

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 07:00 AM

There was a tab removed that I used in e-sword 11 but missing after the upgrade so I reverted back to e-sword 11, I do not like it when things I use get removed or changed by some new and better upgrade, for example I am using windows 10, and it will continue to be supported until 2026, I have already seen windows 11 and as par for the course they have changed a lot and removed/moved things around, and you have to go hunt and find everything again, why would I want to have to spend a day or more getting everything set back up like I had it on windows 10?

#29 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 07:25 AM

I use e-Sword 11.2.2; it is the most stable version on Linux using WINE.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users