Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Older versions of e-Sword

28 replies to this topic

#11 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Another reason: Some like their Bible software independent of the internet. (China, Iran, etc...)

Make a donation to the author, Rick Meyers, and get a CD with many e-Sword files on it. If you want additional modules, you'll have to download them from the internet, but the same was true for e-Sword 7. If you're worried about the latest version calling home to see what's new and available for e-Sword, put a block in your firewall for http://www.e-sword.net . Just for information, there are tons of free and great modules here for the new version of e-Sword that are not available for previous versions. The latest version of e-Sword doesn't need the internet to operate.

Edited by journey, 10 September 2013 - 04:41 PM.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#12 Scribe

Scribe

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

e-Sword is completely safe and always has been. There's never been a record of virus, trojan, or anything otherwise harmful connected to e-Sword.

This could depend on where it was downloaded from. There has been (is) un-authorized sites making what they say is the e-Sword program available for download, let alone its not legal. Who knows whats in the download file.

The program should be downloaded only from the official site. http://www.e-sword.net/

Scribe

#13 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

This could depend on where it was downloaded from. There has been (is) un-authorized sites making what they say is the e-Sword program available for download, let alone its not legal. Who knows whats in the download file.

The program should be downloaded only from the official site. http://www.e-sword.net/

Good point - I didn't think about folks who would risk downloading e-Sword from other than the official site. Obviously, Rick Meyers would have no responsibility for sites illegally offering e-Sword. I'm glad you made this point.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#14 turnsouth

turnsouth

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

If you're worried about the latest version calling home to see what's new and available for e-Sword, put a block in your firewall for http://www.e-sword.net

It doesn't bother me, don't know if I could make it through a day without internet access. Just thinking of friends in other countries that want to be able to give away Bible software easily and quietly without any special warnings, or hoops to jump through.

A nice feature would be a small courtesy warning like "e-Sword would like to connect to the internet and check for updated versions. Is this OK?"

I wonder how many people have been snagged, (in countries where all internet traffic is monitored), by Bible software that connects to the internet unknowingly? Likely not a documented statistic...

#15 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

I made a mistake. I should have said block the program e-Sword.exe in the firewall. I really don't know how big a problem this is in the countries you mentioned. The first problem would be getting the initial software and the modules that you want.

#16 Ariel K.

Ariel K.

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:21 AM

I have a question. Personally, I use e-Sword 10.4 (now) and am very happy with it. I think e-Sword really has not changed at all. it has been the same blessing from the beginning onwards until now. Small features have been added, that´s all. Anyway if somebody fell in love with an old version, he should be free to enjoy it (if he wants to take the time and convert modules) .

I said I have a question and it is this; Does anybody know where I can download a version 7 or 8? (I prefer 7). It´s just for investigation, I´m trying to "portabilize".

I will be very grateful if somebody can help me get the version 7 installer, I still have my version 9 and 10.3 installers.

Anyway, God bless yáll!

#17 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

I have a question. Personally, I use e-Sword 10.4 (now) and am very happy with it. I think e-Sword really has not changed at all. it has been the same blessing from the beginning onwards until now. Small features have been added, that´s all. Anyway if somebody fell in love with an old version, he should be free to enjoy it (if he wants to take the time and convert modules) .

I said I have a question and it is this; Does anybody know where I can download a version 7 or 8? (I prefer 7). It´s just for investigation, I´m trying to "portabilize".

I will be very grateful if somebody can help me get the version 7 installer, I still have my version 9 and 10.3 installers.

Anyway, God bless yáll!

Google "e-sword 7.7.7 download" and you will get numerous pages of links. I obviously can't say which ones are good or safe. There isn't any official download site for e-Sword 7.7.7. I hope this helps.

#18 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:51 PM

I think e-Sword really has not changed at all. it has been the same blessing from the beginning onwards until now

Hi Ariel,

From what e-Sword was like before version 10x and to what it is like now, it has changed a great deal. The biggest changes made to e-Sword was in the introduction of the 10x series. This I will go in to a little later. However, the changes made in the 9x series was monumental in the fact that the database system was changed from MS Access to SQLite. This was a sudden move in where all previous resources from 8x and below no longer worked. All resources had to be converted and rewritten to be able to work in the 9x (and now currently in the 10x series) of e-Sword. This was no small incremental change by any stretch of the imagination.

Now for the changes made to the 10x series of e-Sword. Here too the changes made were quite large. Major improvements made to the Editors, Dictionary, and Commentary components were quite large with the ability handling of Graphics. Then add in the new feature of having a book (Reference Library) component added also makes these changes to e-Sword quite major.

Ever since the changes made to both the 9x and 10x series of e-Sword, the resources made for e-Sword, in particular the 3rd party resources, has increased by leaps and bounds as such as never have been seen before. Moreover, as a result of this ministry, BibleSupport.com, the types of resources and their quality has raised the bar in the use of this program from just an ordinary Bible study program for new Christians to a program that stands with  its counterparts, and is a program of choice for Bible College, Seminary and Undergraduate Theology students.

I've been an e-Sword user for 10 years, and during that time the changes made in the 6, 7, and 8 series of e-Sword were by and large small and incremental. But you can't say that about the 9x and 10x series.

IN conclusion, I am wondering what Rick Meyers' has up his sleeve for the version 11 series of e-Sword, and the kind of changes he may or will introduce to them. Personally, I am really looking forward to seeing what is ahead for this program.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#19 Ariel K.

Ariel K.

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

Google "e-sword 7.7.7 download" and you will get numerous pages of links. I obviously can't say which ones are good or safe. There isn't any official download site for e-Sword 7.7.7. I hope this helps.

I have done that already but all I found were very old broken links, anyway, following your advice, yesterday I searched again and found one in a Spanish site that comes with a bunch of Spanish modules. It seems to be virus free, I´ll try it later, Thanks.

#20 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

I have done that already but all I found were very old broken links, anyway, following your advice, yesterday I searched again and found one in a Spanish site that comes with a bunch of Spanish modules. It seems to be virus free, I´ll try it later, Thanks.

You're welcome. The next trick will be to find version 7 modules for it. I hope that you find what you need.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users