Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Tab Renamer Module

27 replies to this topic

#11 Raymond Barone

Raymond Barone

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Please make sure that you selected the new file when you opened the program, since when you click browse, the last used folder will be shown. So it could be the old file.

Otherwise try a folder on other drive than c:
The problem you have is because of access permission to the c:\program files folder.

I tried renaming your file and it worked for me.
I had it in e:\program files

#12 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Please make sure that you selected the new file when you opened the program, since when you click browse, the last used folder will be shown. So it could be the old file.

Otherwise try a folder on other drive than c:
The problem you have is because of access permission to the c:\program files folder.

I tried renaming your file and it worked for me.
I had it in e:\program files

I did put it in a new folder *outside* of my program files folder and it worked. I would suggest, Raymond, that you amend your instructions. I am running Windows 7 as an administrator and that could be the problem as you said. This lesson learned will help others. Thanks!

#13 Raymond Barone

Raymond Barone

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

I did put it in a new folder *outside* of my program files folder and it worked.

That's what I asked you to do the first time.
Sorry if wasn't clear enough.

Edited by Raymond Barone, 31 March 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#14 Raymond Barone

Raymond Barone

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

I added a note about that in the description.

Thanks for noting that.

#15 Brinck Syverson

Brinck Syverson

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

I too had issues with this. I uninstalled it because it seems to be more trouble than just leaving the tabs as they are. Is there a way to make a program so that all one has to do is put the curser on the tab, click, have a drop down menu, click rename, and type the new name.

#16 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

No, we can't change e-Sword itself. The program's author can, but not us. Ideally, your description is the way it would work.

Ray may look into programming the app to acquire administrative privileges so it can edit the modules directly from program files\e-sword. I assume that's what you mean by more trouble than it's worth. It can be challenging to get admin privileges to work with all versions of Windows. Even now, with my Module Installer (which does acquire administrative privileges to write to program files\e-sword), it fails for some people due to the various possible combinations of anti-virus software and their permissions (or lack thereof) associated with their Windows logins.

For now, either the tab names are bad enough that you want to change them, or they're not. :)

#17 Brinck Syverson

Brinck Syverson

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

Maybe a quick e-mail to Rick and he can work on it for a future upgrade. Thanx. Your's in Christ 2Cor517

#18 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

hi
the question is why does it work for most and not for others?

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#19 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

It didn't work for me at first until I used the work around as Raymond spelled out in his description:

Note:
If your esword folder is in c:\program files(x86), and the program doesn't work, copy the module to a folder outside program file. Then browse to the new module and use the program, and then copy back to the esword folder in c:\program files(x86)

I will continue to use it since the work around is only a couple of more steps, a minute or two. Having the ability to change the names on tabs for me is a huge plus. The result is worth the process for me.

#20 Raymond Barone

Raymond Barone

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

Jogirl and others who had problems with the first file, please try the new version (1.1):

http://www.biblesupp...rd-tab-renamer/
Esword Tab Renamer 1.1.zip

If the installation folder is c:\program files, when you click update, the program will restart and ask for permission. Click yes, and select the file again, and it should work.

Edited by Raymond Barone, 01 April 2012 - 08:50 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users