Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword 10.1 Released

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 Marvin

Marvin

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

All,
I got the same thing too when after installing e-Sword. Personally I dunno if its a good thing or not. That said, I think that it should be something optional to have and that an option should be given whether or not to have notifications popping up.

Any thoughts on it?

Blessings,

I agree that I don't like popups, especially in the middle of e-Sword, one of my favorite programs. If e-Sword is going to request donations, I don't think that they should force popups on the people who have done so. I don't mind newsletters or irregular e-mail. I have even purchased one or two books from e-
Study Source because of the information that I got through an e-mail from them.

I do not dispute the right of e-Study Source to sell their books on e-Sword. What I would like is the capability of getting their advertising in a less intrusive manner. Perhaps we could have a radio switch to choose popups or newsletters. What I fear that we have now is popups AND newsletters. I cast my vote for those who are in a position to act, to find and implement a less intrusive method of advertising e-Study Source books.

#32 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

I found this highly aggravating. What is this? Do I need to unplug physically from the Internet to do a Bible study or to look something up?

Posted Image

#33 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Seems like if there is a need that some additional logic will be added to allow the blocking of pop ups. Rick is usually pretty flexible on these things. Seems like this could be a help to some people though. there must be some reason for it.

#34 Vaughn

Vaughn

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationKaufman, Texas

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have not run into this. And trust me with as many modules as I have It wshould pop on me big time.
Grace and Peace,
Your fellow Swordsman,
Vaughn R. Jacobs

#35 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

I agree that I don't like popups, especially in the middle of e-Sword, one of my favorite programs. If e-Sword is going to request donations, I don't think that they should force popups on the people who have done so. I don't mind newsletters or irregular e-mail. I have even purchased one or two books from e-
Study Source because of the information that I got through an e-mail from them.

I do not dispute the right of e-Study Source to sell their books on e-Sword. What I would like is the capability of getting their advertising in a less intrusive manner. Perhaps we could have a radio switch to choose popups or newsletters. What I fear that we have now is popups AND newsletters. I cast my vote for those who are in a position to act, to find and implement a less intrusive method of advertising e-Study Source books.

So far, I only got the advertising at install. If it continues, I won't like it either. I've contributed to Rick numerous times and bought the vast majority of the premium modules. I subscribe to the email newsletter of e-Study Source, so I don't need or want any more advertising. I would be curious if the experiences of others is more than just at install or the first start-up of a new e-Sword program.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#36 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

I've only had the one pop-up. Personally, I did not mind it. I have purchased over a dozen premium modules but it has been some months since the last one and it has been even longer since I donated to Rick directly. Perhaps my conscience was pricked a bit but I clicked on the advertisement and followed the link. As I said, I have not had but the one pop-up. I'm sure that I am like the majority of you folks who access e-Sword daily. Perhaps it is a bit early to get concerned?
Posted Image

#37 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

I have not run into this. And trust me with as many modules as I have It wshould pop on me big time.

If it is based upon installed resources, then perhaps the popups don't occur, if one has the advertized resource.

I still haven't seen any of the popups.

jonathon

#38 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

If it is based upon installed resources, then perhaps the popups don't occur, if one has the advertized resource.

I still haven't seen any of the popups.

jonathon

I've only had the one pop up so far. Just one click of about a million a day so no worries here.

My thought though is that if this is something that helps e-sword in some way then it is a good thing.

It is afer all a free software which, if it is to be continually developed, costs money, not to mention the costs of maintaining a website with the capabilities to dispense the high band width required for supplying multiple thousands of copies of the software each day.

#39 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

has anyone considered the relationship between getting a popup and being subscribed to the news letter

Frankly if there a new premium module or there is a sale I want to know about it and a popup is easily closed with a click of the mouse and if Rick gets money for it great look at what he does for us

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#40 Marvin

Marvin

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

I received another pop-up today. It was advertising the Pictorial Dictionary. I just bought that book last week. It seems to me that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

I like the newsletter. I do not like pop-ups, especially while I am studying. If Rick could incorporate a switch with a code to turn off all pop-ups, I would gladly contribute another $20 to e-Sword to get the code to turn it off. The pop-ups are doing nothing but getting me irritated. They are certainly not encouraging me to buy anything. To me it is similar to putting a salesman at the pulpit of my church to get the congregation to buy something before contuing with the sermon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users