Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Problems with Greek text

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

Hi Josh,
Oh yeah I just remembered, the font face is like Times Roman and etc, and the rtf code used for that is like \f4 or whatever. So that is what I mean about that.The rtf code for the size is \fs24 = 12 points and etc. And I guess that \fs20 = 10 points.

I reckon I just made the waters even more murkier than before. Oh well as long as you can see where I'm coming from I should be alright.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 21 March 2012 - 12:46 AM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#12 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hi Josh,
I dunno if whether or not I said it right. Looks like I might of stuffed it up a bit. When I talk about rtf code, I'm not talking about the rest of the stuff you were talking about.

When I talk about rtf code I mean the code used for bold, underline, italics, font color and stuff like that. I also mean the code used for what font and font size, and code used for letters that have special characters with them. And that goes with Greek and Hebrew text.

Now, I know e-Sword still uses these kinds of code because when I'm copying and pasting Hebrew and Greek Text into one of the note editors, they all show up in database file.

I really hope I made myself sort of clear, and not so murky as I was before. :D

Hey Stephen,

Yes, e-Sword uses (requires and auto-generates) an RTF header on Topics, Notes, Journals. But not on Commentaries, Dictionaries, Bibles. The latter 3 should not have a font specification or font size associated with them. They should not have an RTF header with them (otherwise you run into the disadvantages posted in my previous message).

If you specify a font name (like Arial in the RTF header) in a commentary or a font size (like \fs20), e-Sword won't use the user's font choice or font size when the user views the commentary. e-Sword will override you font selection and font size choice rather than use the reader's choice. All official e-Sword modules do not have an RTF header, do not have a font specification, do not have font sizes (for commentaries, dictionaries, Bibles, and devotionals).

Topics, Journals, and Study notes are the exception and automatically do include the RTF header with the font specification in the header. The code generated by the Topic note editor shouldn't necessarily be used as a model for commentaries or dictionaries, not if you want to preserve e-Sword's font features.

The codes used for "special characters"--that's unicode. That's font independent. That's what the original poster was having an issue with (although he never saw the unicode--he only saw the Greek representation in Tooltip/e-Sword).

#13 yvehill

yvehill

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hello from a ToolTip newbie. I am testing if I can conquer this program well enough to attempt a larger work. I'm working with Greek and having problems with superscripting the Strong's numbers. They come out raised \up6 but I can't get the font 8pt small, they stay at 12 pt. I've tried editing the rtf with \super and that won't stay in ToolTip. I've done a find and replace in rtf to make the strongs number \plain\f0\fs16\cf5\up6 but when I export the module to bblx it's back to the large font size. I can guess that SQL has to be formatted a certain way but I'm not sure what to try. I'm also stumped with how to use the style. I can define a style for the Strong's with superscript, 8pt font, green color, Ariel... but I can't seem to apply the style to selected text. Is this not implemented yet? I just want to make this as clean and small as possible. If you can show me your ideal example of the correct rtf formatting for something to turn out like the formatting in LLX+ Gen 1:1, I think I would be able to go from there. Thank you!

#14 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

Hello from a ToolTip newbie. I am testing if I can conquer this program well enough to attempt a larger work. I'm working with Greek and having problems with superscripting the Strong's numbers. They come out raised \up6 but I can't get the font 8pt small, they stay at 12 pt. I've tried editing the rtf with \super and that won't stay in ToolTip. I've done a find and replace in rtf to make the strongs number \plain\f0\fs16\cf5\up6 but when I export the module to bblx it's back to the large font size. I can guess that SQL has to be formatted a certain way but I'm not sure what to try. I'm also stumped with how to use the style. I can define a style for the Strong's with superscript, 8pt font, green color, Ariel... but I can't seem to apply the style to selected text. Is this not implemented yet? I just want to make this as clean and small as possible. If you can show me your ideal example of the correct rtf formatting for something to turn out like the formatting in LLX+ Gen 1:1, I think I would be able to go from there. Thank you!

What version of T4 are you using???
The latest (posted today) will generate superscripts that work with e-Sword and Strong's numbers. In T4, click the Help menu, and select "Check for updates...". If the posted version is newer than your current version, you will be offered the option to download it. NOTE - Install the downloaded version even if the install file has the same version number.
Enter the strong number, such as "H123", select it, press "Ctrl+Shift+=", done. You can color them dark green to conform with e-Sword general standard, however, any color will work. You do not need to set the font size, and in fact, if you do, it will be ignored, if you check the menu option, Modules+Font Size Set by e-Sword.

Note - editing the RTF is not always helpful in T4 because the underlying control will reinterpret the RTF and put its own tags in.

Perhaps you can post a sample file of what you are working on with which we can understand your situation better...

Edited by BH., 28 March 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#15 yvehill

yvehill

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

What version of T4 are you using???
The latest (posted today) will generate superscripts that work with e-Sword and Strong's numbers. In T4, click the Help menu, and select "Check for updates...". If the posted version is newer than your current version, you will be offered the option to download it. NOTE - Install the downloaded version even if the install file has the same version number.
Enter the strong number, such as "H123", select it, press "Ctrl+Shift+=", done. You can color them dark green to conform with e-Sword general standard, however, any color will work. You do not need to set the font size, and in fact, if you do, it will be ignored, if you check the menu option, Modules+Font Size Set by e-Sword.

Thank you, that's much better! I wish I would have asked sooner... I had version 0.96 downloaded last month. I still have a few font problems like the Chapter and verse showing up in a strange font but I think I can sort that out.

Is the Format Style function working? I still can't seem to make it do anything. It would be nice to have that but I guess I can switch over to Word for it. I really miss being able to hit F4 and make it repeat formatting.

Do you have any tips on what I can do to keep my file smaller? What formatting should I leave out since it would be ignored anyway?
Thank you so much for your help and the amazing speed of your response!

Edited by yvehill, 28 March 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#16 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

Thank you, that's much better! I wish I would have asked sooner... I had version 0.96 downloaded last month. I still have a few font problems like the Chapter and verse showing up in a strange font but I think I can sort that out.

Is the Format Style function working? I still can't seem to make it do anything. It would be nice to have that but I guess I can switch over to Word for it. I really miss being able to hit F4 and make it repeat formatting.

Do you have any tips on what I can do to keep my file smaller? What formatting should I leave out since it would be ignored anyway?
Thank you so much for your help and the amazing speed of your response!

Again - it would be nice to have a sample file to see exactly what issues you are having. As for file size, which file are you talking about? The RTF file or the e-Sword module file?
And no, styles do not work in T4 at this time...

#17 yvehill

yvehill

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Again - it would be nice to have a sample file to see exactly what issues you are having. As for file size, which file are you talking about? The RTF file or the e-Sword module file?
And no, styles do not work in T4 at this time...

Forgive me.. do you want me to upload my rtf file (how?) or just paste in the rtf text from that view. What works better? The chapter and verse display correctly in T4 but when exported to e-sword they have a serif font which is not one of my default fonts.

#18 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

What the e-Sword module you built using T4v1.05 ??? If not, try it again.

If you upload a file, the original RTF is best. To add a file, click the "More Options" button on the lower right....

#19 yvehill

yvehill

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

If you upload a file, the original RTF is best. To add a file, click the "More Options" button on the lower right....

It's odd that Gen 1:1 displays ok but 1:2,3,4 has a different font.
Attached File  HLBtest+.rtf   7.86K   4 downloads

#20 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

Did you build you BBLX file with v1.05???

I just built it using your file above, and here is what it looks like in e-Sword. Looks fine to me! :-)

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users