Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword Utilities - e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT(only runs in Windows environment)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 bwright88

bwright88

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

Hi Brent

Yes your dctx file works. The tip message comes up (just like for topic files) and I can click them. The web one worked but I couldn't prove the file link because my path is different.

I tried to edit the file path two ways:
1. in the read/save module area
2. copied your content to an RTF file and edited that then saved it as a module.

In both cases the resulting dctx files did not work in e-sword like yours did.

Possible causes?
1. In my original RTF & DCTX files I had an extra line to you (#define nosort=0)

2. Whenever I try to save in the save module area I get an error message (see attachment) Attached File  Abbr Error Message.jpg   93.73K   8 downloads

We're so close to solving this. All I need is to be able to duplicate the way you save dctx files.

I'm using E-sword 10.1 (latest), Tool-tip NT V 1.27 and Windows 7.

Kind regards
Bill

#12 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Yes your dctx file works. The tip message comes up (just like for topic files) and I can click them. The web one worked but I couldn't prove the file link because my path is different.

I tried to edit the file path two ways:
1. in the read/save module area
2. copied your content to an RTF file and edited that then saved it as a module.

The way to edit links in T4, is very similar to editing links in e-Sword. Double click on the link, and you can make all the needed changes.

In both cases the resulting dctx files did not work in e-sword like yours did.

Possible causes?
1. In my original RTF & DCTX files I had an extra line to you (#define nosort=0)

2. Whenever I try to save in the save module area I get an error message (see attachment)

T4 is telling you that there is a missing variable at the top of the document!
#define abbreviation=SAMPLE

#13 bwright88

bwright88

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

Hi Brent

That's what I've been doing. The only way I've been able to save is to change the "abbr" to "abbreviation".

Even your sample file can't be saved without changing the abbr to abbreviation and as soon as I do that to your file (without changing it in any other way) it becomes unclickable in E-sword (see attachments before and after).

Before - your file nice and clean and clickable
After the abbr change to abbreviation - messy and unclickable

Bill

Attached Files

#14 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

Hi Brent

That's what I've been doing. The only way I've been able to save is to change the "abbr" to "abbreviation".

Where did you get "abbr"? The variable name is "abbreviation". The error message you postedd shows that it must be "abbreviation"
#define abbreviation=SAMPLE
The documentation has "abbreviation" and if you use T4 to create the variables at the top, it is "abbreviation". So I'm currious where you got "#define abbr=SAMPLE"?

Even your sample file can't be saved without changing the abbr to abbreviation and as soon as I do that to your file (without changing it in any other way) it becomes unclickable in E-sword (see attachments before and after).

What sample file are you talking about? Perhaps in T3 "abbr" was allowed, but no where do I find that in T4. So if there is a sample file out there, it needs to be changed.

Before - your file nice and clean and clickable
After the abbr change to abbreviation - messy and unclickable

Attached is your RTF file with clickable links. And the resultant DCTX file generated by T4 from it. Does it work for you????

Attached Files

#15 bwright88

bwright88

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hi Brent

The sample file with "abbr" came from you in response to my 20 July post. In fact your latest RTF and DCTX files say "abbr" not "abbreviation".

That latest dctx file works.

But if I:

1. read it in T4 (ToolTip 1.27) using module/dictionary/read and then save it without any change it goes haywire because when I read the newly saved file the links are not clickable and the link-name & link reference get joined together (similar to my "after" picture in the previous reply). And they stay joined and unclickable in E-Sword.

2. make any changes to your dctx file and try to save it - same bad result

So something is happening when I try to save any dctx file using the module routine.

I get the same results if start with a clickable RTF file then save it in the dictionary module.

Even after I've re-installed E-Sword 10.1 and upgraded T4 from V1.27 to V1.28 there is no difference in the results.

Saving topics is fine - I get clickable results in T4 and E-Sword.

When I set up and save a commentary file I get the same non-clickable results as with the dictionary module routine.

So the problem seems to be the save module function in T4 for dictionary and commentary files, at least on my computer.

Bill

#16 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

1. read it in T4 (ToolTip 1.27) using module/dictionary/read and then save it without any change it goes haywire because when I read the newly saved file the links are not clickable and the link-name & link reference get joined together (similar to my "after" picture in the previous reply). And they stay joined and unclickable in E-Sword.

OK - I see what is happening. You you read a DCTX file, it is putting in "abbr" not "abbreviation". Old code... Fixed. But is you change that to "abbreviation", the file saves fine.

2. make any changes to your dctx file and try to save it - same bad result

So something is happening when I try to save any dctx file using the module routine.

I get the same results if start with a clickable RTF file then save it in the dictionary module.

When you open the RTF file I posted, assuming you have "abbreviation" instead of "abbr", you can not save a DCTX file? Is that what you are saying, or the links are not clickable? Which of course, when I save it they are as demonstrated by the sample DCTX file I posted.

Even after I've re-installed E-Sword 10.1 and upgraded T4 from V1.27 to V1.28 there is no difference in the results.

Saving topics is fine - I get clickable results in T4 and E-Sword.

When I set up and save a commentary file I get the same non-clickable results as with the dictionary module routine.

So the problem seems to be the save module function in T4 for dictionary and commentary files, at least on my computer.

Be sure that "Include RTF Header" is NOT checked, and be sure that "Old RTF Code" is NOT checked. Also, the READING of a DCTX file is more for editing an existing file for which you do not have the RTF file.

Note also - it would be probably better if this discussion were in a forum thread where others would be able to find it and can share their own experience with T4 and these types of files.

#17 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

If you have "Old RTF Code" checked under Modules in T4, you will get the results seen in the image, sample2 attached.

Attached Files

#18 bwright88

bwright88

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi Brent

You've solved the problem. Once I unclicked "Old RTF Code" it all worked perfectly.

Sorry to have mucked you around but I am really thankful for the time you have taken to converse on this matter.

May the Lord continue to bless you in all you do.

Kind regards
Bill

#19 PGFracing

PGFracing

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

Does this tool allow you to export the Study Notes with the verse your notes are on included? Just to have a bunch of notes without the verse seems like it would be difficult to manage? Trying to create a commentary that I can post online. Thanks

#20 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

Does this tool allow you to export the Study Notes with the verse your notes are on included?

That is the only way the program exports them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users