Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

NIV.bblx no longer accessible

31 replies to this topic

#11 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

Yes, you can keep both. You can rename the NIV tab name to NIV-84 in a 3 minute procedure explained here: http://www.biblesupp...urce-tab-names/

If there's a lot of demand for changing the tab names of a resource, I could make a separate utility that does just that. Would be really easy, maybe so easy that e-Sword will have that feature built-in one day.

Hi Charlie,
Just to add, it also important to change the file's name. The NIV 1984 edition has the same file name as the NIV 2011 edition, and if the NIV 1984 edition filename isn't changed it gets overwritten by the new file during download.

So required recommendations are:
  • Before downloading change the older NIV.bblx name to e.g., NIV84.bblx. This can be done directly in Windows Explorer.
  • Open the now NIV84.bblx in either SQLite Manager (requires Firefox web browser to run) or SQLite Browser and in the Abbreviation Record in the Details Field of the Bible Table, change the abbreviation for NIV to NIV84 or similar.
  • Finally, download the new edition of the NIV. No changes for that file needed.
Note:
Best practice before doing any downloading of new versions/editions of any Resource file, if wishing to keep the original file, is to actually give the older file a new filename. Even adding the word, Old, to it, e.g., NIVold.bblx, or NIV.Old.bblx is also also sufficient. And do a backup of it. The backup bit I can't stress enough.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#12 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

... and if the NIV 1984 edition filename isn't changed it gets overwritten by the new file during download.

Just an added thought. The problem with downloading via e-Sword's Resource Download manager, there is no "Save As..." option to actually save the file with a different or new filename. Maybe this is something Rick may need to add for the user.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 27 March 2012 - 03:39 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#13 Charlie

Charlie

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Thanks to all who responded.  Renaming the tabs and file allowed me to once again access my NIV 84.

#14 ScottyK

ScottyK

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

So if I understand correctly, you have to have the current 2011 version to get your 1984 version to work? I've already changed the 1984 version file name and fooled around with the SQlite program, and still doesn't show up.

#15 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Just the opposite, you cannot have the 2011 version named NIV and the 1984 version named NIV. One or the other has to be changed, which you've done.

#16 ScottyK

ScottyK

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Roger that. Since I've changed the 1984 version to "NIV84", it won't appear until I go back to eStudySource and download the 2011 version, correct?

#17 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

No, it should work now?

#18 TimDeaton

TimDeaton

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

My e-Sword NIV copy included both the 1984 and the 2011 NIV translations. The 84 version is tabbed as "NIV84". But within the last 2 years, the publishers pulled the 1984 version (and all marketing permission) off the market. I distinctly recall an eStudySource ad saying "Get it now - the last time it will be available". I think it's a tragic shame that a publisher would do that. In my mind it shows an admission by the publisher that the newer version couldn't stand up against the older version.

#19 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

ScottyK,

If you look at your NIV module from within Windows Explorer, it (along with all the rest of your modules) should be in one of two folders: Program Files or Program Files (x86).

In addition, it should be named NIV84.bblx and not NIV84.bbl.
Posted Image

#20 ScottyK

ScottyK

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Hat tip to Charlie, he suggested renaming the module to 84NIV, instead of NIV or New International Version. For some reason E-Sword doesn't read it if it still says NIV. After renaming the module to 84NIV (and editing it in SQlite) it came right up in E-Sword. Wahoo!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users