Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

A change but why?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Until recently, "Recent Topics" had a small cross to signify an unread post. When the post was opened the cross disappeared. For whatever reason, that capability has been removed. Now one must rely one one's own memory for that capability. At my age that is become more difficult. If possible, please restore that memory aid.
Posted Image

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

I gave the Forum Index page a face lift. I changed the "Recent Posts" at the top of the page to a more concise listing, displaying 10 posts. I've always liked summary blocks because its easier to see "what's going on". Some forums are not included in the Recent Posts block, such as the forums dealing with doctrine and Bible interpretation.

I also facelifted the left sidebar of the Forum Index page, including pictures for Recent Blogs and Today's Top Posters. At the very bottom of the Forum Index is a new "summary block", showing our most active members over time (daily, weekly, monthly, etc). Finally, I changed the default Downloads picture from an icon cross to a picture of a diagonal cross radiating light.

The Recent Posts block did change specifically as you said. It no longer has the "small crosses" that are dark and light. This was to save space and present 10 most recent posts instead of 5. But each forum does. If you click a forum and browse the messages, the light crosses are read and the dark crosses are unread messages. You can also scan the list of forums on the Forum Index page to see which forums contain new messages based on whether it has a dark cross or a light cross.

#3 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

The change I noticed is a big red rectangle urging one to log in, when browsing, without being logged in. This rectangle covers abeteeen and eighth and a quarter of the page.

jonathon

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

The change I noticed is a big red rectangle urging one to log in, when browsing, without being logged in. This rectangle covers abeteeen and eighth and a quarter of the page. jonathon

Ahh yeah, that was another change I made over the weekend. It should look like the portion of the screenshot below:

Attached File  register-nag.png   70.18K   13 downloads

We get a lot of search engine visitors who visit because every one of our (thousands of) books/commentaries/etc is listed by Google. They want to view that specific resource and are not necessarily e-Sword users. So I'm trying to draw more of them into e-Sword.

#5 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Ahh yeah, that was another change I made over the weekend. It should look like the portion of the screenshot below:

it might not take up much screen estate on a desktop, but on my PDA, and my tablet it obliterates what i consider to be the important stuff.(i haven't rooted the tablet, otherwise i'd post a screenshot.)

Maybe add a non-obvious button to close it.

We get a lot of search engine visitors who visit .... So I'm trying to draw more of them into e-Sword.

I didn't think of that.
It struck me as a standard monetization technique, but i didn't see anything to monetize.

jonathon

#6 mwb

mwb

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Love the site. I would love it more if the annoying floating red box would go away. Thank you for a site full of blessings.

Mike

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

Love the site. I would love it more if the annoying floating red box would go away. Thank you for a site full of blessings.

Mike

It doesn't go away when you login?

Josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users