Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

500 "Likes" should make this happen pleez.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

Another point is this, e-Sword has a Journal editor. There is no reason why one cannot use that for what you propose, for after all it is a calendar tool.

Blessings,

The journal editor is fantastic! And I agree, is a great way have daily entries that would be searchable for key words. It would take someone more knowledgeable than myself though to create meaningful queries to the extent that was suggested.

#12 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

Josh, that's amazing information. e-Sword is so rich in resources and because Rick, you and others have made resources so abundant there is something for everyone - both the scholar and ploughman, poet or pauper. Life is good.

I don't remember the statistics, but at the First BibleTech conference, Bob Pritchett implied that most copies of Libronix that were sold ended up as shelfware. He also said that the initial package that was purchased, was the only purchase that was made.

Again, I don't remember the statistics, :( but a small, but measurable percentage of people download the e-Sword program file, and no other resources. (More precisely, that was in late 2007/early 2008.)

Going back to surveys on the eSword list, and at e-Sword-users.org:

The only survey specifically I can find about resources and e-Sword was done in 2007. http://groups.yahoo....ys?id=12586180.
Question: How many resources are enough?
  • Number of resources. Number of votes Percentage of votes:
  • 1-10 1 2
  • 10-30 3 6
  • 30-50 1 2
  • 51-100 4 9
  • 100-250 6 13
  • 252-500 0 0
  • 500-1000 3 6
  • 1000-1500 0 0
  • 1500-2000 0 0
  • There is never enough 26 59
On e-Sword-Users.org, I ran a poll asking how many installed resources users had. The overwhelming majority of users had installed less than 300. (I appear to have lost my copy of the results, and polls have been removed from that site. For some reason, they weren't migrated to my blog. :( )

Back in 2008, Rick sent me an email saying that a small, but measurable number of users did not download any resources. They only downloaded the program executable.

jonathon

jonathon

#13 hjcarlson

hjcarlson

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Approaching this topic from the opposite side, the Heidelberg Catechism was written to be a guide for pastors so that they would cover all doctrines in their sermons and avoid hobby-horse preaching.

#14 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

@ Jonathon

re: "I don't remember the statistics, but at the First BibleTech conference, Bob Pritchett implied that most copies of Libronix that were sold ended up as shelfware. He also said that the initial package that was purchased, was the only purchase that was made."

In the fall of 2002 I purchased the Libronix Scholar's Library for some really hefty price. When I opened the box there was no instruction manual and calling Bellingham was less than useless. I had spent several hundred dollars and was very unhappy. You can imagine how thrilled I was upon discovery of classes offered on how to use the software - for an added price! :angry: I still have the disks, seldom throwing anything away, but never use them: a waste and a lesson..

Rick has blessed the Church of Christ (intentional use of that phrase), Christ's Bride, so much with this software..."Do you see someone skilled in their work? They will serve before kings; they will not serve before officials of low rank." -- Proverbs 22:29 (NIV) I am totally convinced that God's eye does roam over the doings of men, observing and keeping track: "Then those who feared the LORD talked with each other, and the LORD listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the LORD and honored his name. "On the day when I act," says the LORD Almighty, "they will be my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as a father has compassion and spares his son who serves him. And you will again see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not." -- Malachi 3:16-18 (NIV)

As for e-Sword... I mostly run with about 100-125 resources, but with Rick's new Reference Library window and Josh's expertise at creating good solid books it's easy to see that number growing.

#15 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

@ Jonathon

re: "I don't remember the statistics, but at the First BibleTech conference, Bob Pritchett implied that most copies of Libronix that were sold ended up as shelfware. He also said that the initial package that was purchased, was the only purchase that was made."

In the fall of 2002 I purchased the Libronix Scholar's Library for some really hefty price. When I opened the box there was no instruction manual and calling Bellingham was less than useless. I had spent several hundred dollars and was very unhappy. You can imagine how thrilled I was upon discovery of classes offered on how to use the software - for an added price! :angry: I still have the disks, seldom throwing anything away, but never use them: a waste and a lesson..

Rick has blessed the Church of Christ (intentional use of that phrase), Christ's Bride, so much with this software..."Do you see someone skilled in their work? They will serve before kings; they will not serve before officials of low rank." -- Proverbs 22:29 (NIV) I am totally convinced that God's eye does roam over the doings of men, observing and keeping track: "Then those who feared the LORD talked with each other, and the LORD listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the LORD and honored his name. "On the day when I act," says the LORD Almighty, "they will be my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as a father has compassion and spares his son who serves him. And you will again see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not." -- Malachi 3:16-18 (NIV)

As for e-Sword... I mostly run with about 100-125 resources, but with Rick's new Reference Library window and Josh's expertise at creating good solid books it's easy to see that number growing.

Hi Larry,
this is perhaps one of my reasons why I use e-Sword. Its just the simplicity of the design that sells it to me. And I reckon that is where its at for the majority of users. I honestly don't get it as to why you have e-Sword users wanting to have features that other Bible software has when by and large hardly anyone uses them, and from what I seem to see, nor do they want them.

The Reference Library feature, although its great, personally I don't see the point of it as I extremely rarely use it. Having said that, it would be really interesting to see research be done in what features of e-Sword are used and are not used by users, and to see what the actual stats are. So, yeah, it certainly makes interesting discussion.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#16 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

I honestly don't get it as to why you have e-Sword users wanting to have features that other Bible software has when by and large hardly anyone uses them,

This gets into how people study the Bible. They like the simplicity and user-friendly user interface. However, they also want the components, functions, features, and tools that are appropriate to how they study the Bible.

from what I seem to see, nor do they want them.

Bob Pritchard's strategy is to get Libronix into seminaries, and from their spread into the general clergy community. Then, when somebody asks their pastor about Biblical software, Libronix is recommended, because that is what the pastor uses.
It gets purchased, then becomes shelfware, because it is not suitable for how the lay-person studies the Bible.

Having said that, it would be really interesting to see research be done in what features of e-Sword are used and are not used by users, and to see what the actual stats are.

in 2005 (¿2007?] Vaugn did a poll asking what resources were the most important. That is the only poll I'm aware of, that has implications about the features of e-Sword that are used.

My guess is that Verse Analysis and Sermon Illustrations are the least used components, with split screen parallel translations being the least used function. I'm basing this on questions in the various support lists, and web forums.

FWIW, it never crossed my mind to survey users about the components and functions that they used, and what thry didn't use.

jonathon

#17 Walter Hofman

Walter Hofman

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBurlington, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

I want to respond to so much of what is going on here. But suffice to say that AS A PASTOR WITH BIBLE STUDIES AND SERMONS HAPPENING EVERY WEEK that the reference library, illustrations, parallel versions feature and just about everything esword offers is useful to me. I have spent hours trying to learn EVERYTHING it does and this prog is an absolute Godsend to me. Again, I am very disappointed at the comment that "why add the Shepherd's calendar" when only a fraction of the people would use it because so few are Pastors. I am completely persuaded that so few are Pastors ONLY BECAUSE SO FEW PASTORS REALIZE THIS PROG EVEN EXISTS.

AGAIN I THROW OUT THE CHALLENGE: TELL YOUR PASTOR ABOUT THIS. BRING IN YOUR LAPTOP AND SHOW THEM HOW IT WORKS. WHAT A BLESSING THIS COULD BE. I AM SO SERIOUS. I HAVE DONE THIS AND AND PASTORS CANT BELIEVE THAT THE PROG IS FREE. They just go to Logos - bill it to the church - and thats it. E-sword is way better!!
Nothing changes if nothing changes.

#18 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Glad you're liking e-Sword. As a pastor, if you can think of any public domain resources to be added, let us know. Some of the best modules came from user suggestions, like this one: http://www.biblesupp...ose-12-volumes/

#19 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

"why add the Shepherd's calendar"

I apologise if this sounds negative. Your description was not very useful to people who hadn't run across either the concept, or the term before.

I am completely persuaded that so few are Pastors ONLY BECAUSE SO FEW PASTORS REALIZE THIS PROG EVEN EXISTS.

I have no idea what percentage of users are pastors, or otherwise in a teaching/leadership position in their church. However, from what I can glean, it is extensivly used in third world countries.

I'm also aware of several seminaries in the United States, where either Libronix, or Accordance is required, where instructors point blank tell students to use e-Sword for PD material, and the expensive program for the non-PD content, because that is the most cost-effective way for them to complete their seminary training. Note in passing that there is content available for e-Sword, that is not available for Libronix, Accordance, BibleWorks, OliveTree, Laridian, or QuickVerse.

jonathon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users