Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

A bit of news on the mobile device front

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

Well boys and girls, we thought we had it all when it comes to operating systems for mobile phones and other mobile devices, but that seems to be no longer the case.

Yesterday I received an email informing me that Mozilla is (or I should say) has got into the act of putting out an operating system for Smart Phones and etc. And this one is actually truly an open source project where any Tom, ****, and Harry programmer, graphics artist and image creator can put in his/her two cents worth.

The link to the article is:
http://www.knowyourm..._the_world.html

So how this may relate to MySword is anyone's guess, but for mine, this is something worthwhile investigating.

Be interested in your thoughts, reactions and other stuff you might like to say.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#2 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Hi Stephen,
I also wonder what will happen with theWord and e sword with Windows 8. Will they be able to modify the program to run on both PCs ant tablet devices... And maybe even Windows 8 smartphones? It will be intersting to see what happens with Windows 8.

#3 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Will they be able to modify the program to run on both PCs and tablet devices..

If those tablets use ARM chips, then the Windows 8 software will have to be completely rewritten.
It also means that the current crop of programmers will have to learn to program with the same constraints that W4Wg developers had, if they want their product to work on tablets.

For Intel based chips, Win8 software should be "acceptable", for various negative values of "acceptable".

The big issue is whether or not UEFI OS locks are required, and if so, how they are implemented.

And maybe even Windows 8 smartphones?

Nokia is burning too much cash, to survive until Win8 is released.
  • In 2007, Nokia shipped 200,000,000 units of the Nokia 1100.
  • In 2012, its flagship product, the Lumia 800 sold under a million units.
  • The Nokai e7 sold more units than the flagship produce, despite Nokia's passive attempts to kill off the e7.
  • There are more Android activations per day, than Nokia sells WinMo phones in a year.
  • There are more Nokia WinMo activations in one year, than the rest of the WinMo offerings, combined.
To put it in monetary terms, last year Nokia posted a profit of 745€. This year it posted a loss of 1,400,000€.

Even more graphically.
  • In 2007, Nokia had a 66% worldwide marketshare.
  • In 2008, Nokia had a 52.4% worldwide marketshare, most of which were Symbian devices.
  • In 2010, Symbian had a 37.6% worldwide market share, with Android at 22.7%, RIM at 16.0% and iOS at 15.1%;
  • In 4th Quarter 2011, Android had a 50.9% marketshare, iOS had 23.9%, Symbian had 11.7%, RIM 8.8%, and WinMo 1.1%.
The only way Microsoft can get anybody to manufacture WinMo phones, is by using either extortion, or bribery, or economic sabotage, or a combination thereof.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Windows 8.

For corporate use, it is DOA:
* Tablets fail basic security requirements;
* Servers require a complete rewrite of mission critical apps that haven't been migrated from WinXP;
* Desktops require a complete rewrite of mission critical apps that haven't been migrated from WinXP, or, more commonly, Win2K;

jonathon

#4 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

Jonathon,
Thanks. As usual, I only understood about 40% of what you said :), but it sounds like we will not have to upgrade to a Windows 8 computer anytime soon.

#5 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Thank you Jonathon for your insights.

#6 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Even more graphically.

• In 2007, Nokia had a 66% worldwide marketshare.
  • In 2008, Nokia had a 52.4% worldwide marketshare, most of which were Symbian devices.
  • In 2010, Symbian had a 37.6% worldwide market share, with Android at 22.7%, RIM at 16.0% and iOS at 15.1%;
  • In 4th Quarter 2011, Android had a 50.9% marketshare, iOS had 23.9%, Symbian had 11.7%, RIM 8.8%, and WinMo 1.1%.

jonathon

Those are interesting stats. I admit I had to look up iOS to see what that was, not having seen iPhone on your list.
Looks like the Android and iOS are both on the rise though.
Not being savvy to what mysword was I was not sure what operating system it was for.
What are your thoughts on future trends between the Android and the iOS?
I was under the impression that the iPhone was the market leader..

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

http://www.pcmag.com...,2400782,00.asp

850,000 new Android devices per day.

#8 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Those are interesting stats. I admit I had to look up iOS to see what that was, not having seen iPhone on your list.
Not being savvy to what mysword was I was not sure what operating system it was for.
What are your thoughts on future trends between the Android and the iOS?

MJ_,
I think that android is the clear market leader world wide.

MySword is a mobile Bible study software for android that allows us to make our own Bible study modules. Most of the modules available here for e sword can also be used on MySword by following the procedure posted in the MySword forum.

To my knowledge, iphone does not have an app that allows us to convert the e sword modules here to it.

Blessings,
Peter

#9 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

The wild cards:
  • UEFI OS locks on ARM chips. If Microsoft forces them to be used, then WinMo8 will have a measurable marketshare;
  • Patent Litigation;
  • The Mobile Patent Wars
  • Government mandated devices;
If UEFI OS locks aren't required, then:
  • iOS will peak at around 25% marketshare, then fluctuate at around the 20% range;
  • Android will peak in the 60% - 70% range, then drop down to the 50% range;
  • WiFi only devices will be hacked, with users replacing the shipped OS with Linux. (This is pretty much what laptop and desktop users currently do.);
Patent Litigation:
  • AMP V Myraid Genetics has put paid to patents on genes, reinforcing Mayo v. Prometheus;
  • May v Prometheus said that you can't patent abstract ideas;
  • In Re Bilski refined to the "machine or transformation" test, clarifying what was patentable;
  • Patent trolls, and their attorneys are still working out how to have the Federal courts overrule those decisions;
The Mobile Patent Wars:
  • Every player in the mobile device world has been sued for patent infringement. There is a diagram at http://www.npr.org/b...-war-in-1-graph that shows who is suing who. What it doesn't show, is the licenses that Microsoft has forced Android device makers to pay for.);
  • Microsoft v B&N hasn't yet gone to court, but B&N has proven beyond any shadow of doubt that both Microsoft and Nokia are engaging in illegal antitrust activity under both European and US Law;
  • Oracle v Google demonstrates how much nonsense the USPTO has patented, due to either wilful ignorance on the part of the USPTO, or outright deception on the part of Patent Attorneys, or some combination thereof. Oracle lost this lawsuit before it was filed;
Government mandates include, but are not limited to:
  • Microsoft has no qualms about bribing government officials, to gain a government monopoly. (Microsoft publicly admitted to bribing government officials, to prevent sales of OLPC in several countries.);
  • Several state educational systems have mandated that all students have an iPad;
  • NSA has released a hardened version of Android, for use by its employees, and contractors;
  • US Department of Defence has all but said that Android devices are the future;

If you want to generate revenue, program for iOS;
If you want to generate user numbers, program for Android;
If you want to demonstrate your commitment to cross-platform mobile platform development, then program for:
  • Android;
  • Bada;
  • Blackberry;
  • iOS;
  • Symbian;
  • Linux;
  • Meego;
  • WebOS;
  • WinMo 6.5;
  • WinP 7.0;

I think that android is the clear market leader world wide.

On 13 October 2009 ComputerWorld cited a Gartner forecast:

Here is the full official 2012 forecast from Gartner, based on sales of 525 million smartphones: Symbian, 196.5 million sold, 37.4% share; Android, 94.5 million sold, 18% share; BlackBerry, 73 million sold, 13.9%; iPhone, 71.5 million sold; 13.6% share; Windows Mobile, 47.7 million sold, 9% share; Maemo, 23.5 million sold, 4.5% share; Linux (generally), 11 million, 2.1% share; WebOS (from Palm Inc.) 7.6 million sold, 1.4% share.

Source: http://www.computerw...tner_reiterates

And http://mobile-though...share-2012.html

I can't find the Gartner press release :(

https://en.wikipedia...em#Market_share contains a graph showing historical market share percentages. Gartner's forecast was obviously wrong. This wasn't the first time they were wrong, but it was obvious even back then that their forecast was way off the mark.

jonathon

#10 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

AMP V Myraid Genetics has put paid to patents on genes, reinforcing Mayo v. Prometheus;

• May v Prometheus said that you can't patent abstract ideas;
  • In Re Bilski refined to the "machine or transformation" test, clarifying what was patentable;
  • Patent trolls, and their attorneys are still working out how to have the Federal courts overrule those decisions;If you want to generate revenue, program for iOS;
    If you want to generate user numbers, program for Android;
    If you want to demonstrate your commitment to cross-platform mobile platform development, then program for:
  • Android;
  • Bada;
  • Blackberry;
  • iOS;
  • Symbian;
  • Linux;
  • Meego;
  • WebOS;
  • WinMo 6.5;
  • WinP 7.0;

jonathon

The point being I guess is that this is an explosive market. It is just really getting heated up. It seems like it could continue to morph and grow as time goes on.
Android is really flooding the market with adverising, outdoing all their competitors. I don't seem to hear much from any other mobile phone company, although microsoft is indeed marketing it's IPad quite heavily. it seems like the market is moving towards a mid range device, something sligtly bigger than the cell phones/iphones we use to a hybrid of the Ipad. Your thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users