Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for the, "Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament", in any format, even if it is PDF.

I currently use eSword for Windows Mobile, so if there is any chance of getting something for this it would be helpful too. But, as said, any format will do.

Are there tools, etc, that allow a user to create modules for eSword?

Thanks for considering these thoughts.

#2 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

I currently use eSword for Windows Mobile,

The copy I have for Pocket e-Sword has an extremely murky providence. Lets just say that content from my source is best described as not being what it purports to be.

jonathon

#3 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

The copy I have for Pocket e-Sword has an extremely murky providence. Lets just say that content from my source is best described as not being what it purports to be.

jonathon

I would be happy to make a decision on that, if you would be happy to share what it is you have, please? Thank you for considering this.

Edited by BigPaw, 28 February 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#4 Vaughn

Vaughn

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationKaufman, Texas

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm a little surprised that Jonathon did not included this in his post, however, it is my understanding that "Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament" is under copyright and can not be distributed.
Grace and Peace,
Your fellow Swordsman,
Vaughn R. Jacobs

#5 David

David

e-Sword Supporter

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

I've been requesting this module for many a year. eStudySource.com says they have it on their to-do list. No ETA.

#6 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

I have it and have had it for quite some time, not sure where I got it however. Runs in my mind I purchased it somewhere. Maybe some google time would help.

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Oh well, seeing that Jonathon has come clean and I might as well too. There are few modules I've sourced for e-Sword that aren't, well best described as "not kosher," and they are:
  • TDNT abridged edition
  • TWOT
  • Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology
and a few more besides.

Please don't ask for a copy as that is like asking me to break the law. A very naughty thing to do.

I've been gradually getting rid of these not kosher copies when purchasing legal copies. I'm waiting for about three or four dictionaries that I've got to become available for e-Sword, and the above three what I want a legal copy of the most as I use them quite extensively. There are about 5 translations of the Bible that needs replacing as well once I have the funds to buy them for e-Sword. I'm really trying to get as kosher as possible with all my resources.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 29 February 2012 - 08:33 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

Was there ever a version compatible with the Pocket PC release of eSword? I'm thrilled with what I have on my Desktop, please don't get me wrong. But, it would be handy to have the Pocket version as it means I can study, anywhere and everywhere. There are those moments when you really don't want to go through the process of struggling to get upstairs and waiting for your computer to boot. Instead you promise yourself that you will satisfy that intriguing question knocking on your forehead later... and of course, later never comes.

Thanks for any advice. :)

#9 Vaughn

Vaughn

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationKaufman, Texas

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

This has opened a can of worms that we struggled greatly with at ESU and I believe ended up ultimately causing the downfall of the site. There are hundreds of illegally made modules on the internet. They unfortunately can not be deleted forever, and are being used. To avoid any legal problems in the U.S. at least you can purchase a hard copy of the resource and this will give you license for a personal electronic version if my understanding is correct. Stephen, my dear brother, there are many of us with things that are under copyright that were made in the early days of e-Sword and were shared. I can tell you that I have at least a hundred modules that are and I do not share them. I am sure that many of us, super-users, do. Somewhere on the internet is a copy of my spreadsheet of modules and I get at least two request a week now for something. If I know it is legal I share, if it is not, then I direct them to eStudySource.com and tell them to ask them to get it.
I am not sure what the right way to ask a publisher to use a resource that is already in existence for use or distribution. Someone much smarter than I needs to handle that. However, they really need to know that these modules exsist. I think it would be great to have a list of them somewhere but I could not tell you the number of hours it would take to research the thousands of modules that have been made and shared for all the copyright information. Again this was one of the missions that ESU had was to collect and contact publishers of all the illegal material to see if it would be made available. Just a note to everyone and some thoughts on this subject.
Grace and Peace,
Your fellow Swordsman,
Vaughn R. Jacobs

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

Stephen, my dear brother, there are many of us with things that are under copyright that were made in the early days of e-Sword and were shared. I can tell you that I have at least a hundred modules that are and I do not share them. I am sure that many of us, super-users, do. Somewhere on the internet is a copy of my spreadsheet of modules and I get at least two request a week now for something. If I know it is legal I share, if it is not, then I direct them to eStudySource.com and tell them to ask them to get it.

Hi Vaughn,
I'm like you on it too. And in fact what I do also is as soon as one becomes legally available to purchase, then I delete the not kosher one, and buy the legal copy. Of the e-Sword modules I have, the overwhelming majority of them are legal. I have slowly and surely whittling down my non kosher resources.

There are hundreds of illegally made modules on the internet.

And that is the problem, and it verifies what Josh said in another post about there being no such thing as a secure electronic resource. Then we have another ethical dilemma, which is openly discussed and done, and that is converting modules produced for one Bible program to another. The Word has a tool which converts e-Sword modules to its format, and here we talk of and doing the same.

There are Christians who have a narcissistic attitude in where they don't believe in copyright laws and believe everything should be free, and so they blatantly disregard the copyright laws. And so the problem perpetuates. It doesn't matter how reputable a Bible program is, there are those who use it, and then look over the fence and sees something there they would like for their own program, and so find a way of (maybe illegally) making a copy for themselves, not bothering to ask if its OK to do it.

Having said all of this, I feel somewhat of a hypocrite because of the fact that I've got these non-kosher resources, and I got myself into advising others of how to copy from one format to another format. And so, this is the sort of thing everyone and me too, got ourselves locked into this sort of thing.

I like what Dr Dave does, and that when it comes to creating resources for e-Sword, he also does it for The Word, and maybe this is the sort of thing we need to seriously look at rather than looking over the fence and drooling at the mouth at what somebody else has against what we don't have.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 01 March 2012 - 04:45 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users