Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: e-sword open source?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Poll: E-Sword open source? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see Rick Meyers make e-sword open source (meaning anyone could contribute code to the e-sword program)?

1. Yes (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

2. No (28 votes [75.68%])

Percentage of vote: 75.68%

If you are a programmer, would you support e-sword development for free?

1. Yes (8 votes [21.62%])

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

2. No (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. N/A I'm not a programmer (27 votes [72.97%])

Percentage of vote: 72.97%

Would e-sword going open source encourage you to use e-sword exclusively on your computer?

1. Yes (8 votes [21.62%])

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

2. No (29 votes [78.38%])

Percentage of vote: 78.38%

Vote

#1 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

Would you support it? Please respond to the poll.

Edited by Ryan Gustason, 21 February 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#2 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

NO! For every open source project that is a success, there are tons that fail miserably. I would suggest that if you want an open source Bible Study program that you organize one but leave Rick's team and e-Sword out of the equation.

Edited by Ebed Doulos, 21 February 2012 - 05:17 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

I have noticed more conflicting and divergent personalities and opinions in the e-Sword community than any other venture I've been involved in. So, I agree with Ebed. An open source, community e-Sword project would yield about the same result as the previous community e-SU site.

With e-Sword already being the world's most popular and most often downloaded Bible study program, I'm not sure why anyone would want to tamper with that.

if you want more sophistication, more options, more features, more customization, then TheWord is a good program.

If you want Bible study software that's open source community development, then Crosswire.org has already done this.

#4 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

Two for no. Anyone else care to comment?

#5 NormJ

NormJ

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Open source e-Sword? Why?! We've got such a good thing going here, why mess it up? I alway say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But I'm sure that going open-source would not fix e-Sword, but to tell you the truth, there's not a thing wrong with it! So my response is, keep you cotton-pickin' money grubbin' hands off my e-Sword!!!

#6 NormJ

NormJ

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Now that I've got that rant off my chest, why are you asking this question anyway? Do you think that if five hundred people say they want e-Sword open-sourced, that it's going to make any difference to Rick? Like he's just going to up and turn over all the source to you or any other open-source to screw it up. There are very few, if any, open-source projects, that are not run by ONE person, that are doing anything well. For a good example, look at the mess LINUX is in. How many different distros are there? Two hundred? Three hundred? Which is the best one? Everybody thinks differently.

One sure way to mess up e-Sword is to open-source it.

That's my final word on this question!

#7 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Kind of like the republican national committee voting on who they want the democratic presidential candidate to be???????? E-sword is a personally owned program last I heard, he will do as he pleases with it I would guess, no matter what a pole might say.

Might I ask why you ask? Why do you think it a valid question to ask? Just curious, seems rather odd - thought I might have missed something which I often do :-)

#8 Scribe

Scribe

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'm curious way your asking this too!
Scribe

#9 Live4Jesus

Live4Jesus

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

What makes anyone think they can take a vote on giving away someone else's property?? Off the wall. Makes the case for restricting polls from general users.

#10 Perhaps Today

Perhaps Today

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

I like e-sword as it currently is. I don't think making it open source will be an improvement at all. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing versions eventually made for Mac and Linux. There might be enough of a user base to justify it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users