Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: e-sword open source?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Poll: E-Sword open source? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see Rick Meyers make e-sword open source (meaning anyone could contribute code to the e-sword program)?

1. Yes (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

2. No (28 votes [75.68%])

Percentage of vote: 75.68%

If you are a programmer, would you support e-sword development for free?

1. Yes (8 votes [21.62%])

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

2. No (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. N/A I'm not a programmer (27 votes [72.97%])

Percentage of vote: 72.97%

Would e-sword going open source encourage you to use e-sword exclusively on your computer?

1. Yes (8 votes [21.62%])

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

2. No (29 votes [78.38%])

Percentage of vote: 78.38%

Vote

#31 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:11 AM

The nature of open source allows for tailored needs. For example, where Linux is concerned, any that use it has a version that suits their wants and needs. Linux is Linux, but each version of Linux has its own flavour, so-to-speak. So, you can have Ubuntu, RedHat, Suse, etc The best rise to the top through communal popularity. The eSword we currently use and like, does not need to change, but the open source factor means that others can adapt, modify, include, exclude features that makes their's and others study methods acheive its goal - to understand the Bible better.

If someone else has already said this, then I'm sorry, I am just a bit busy at this immediate moment to read the entire thread. However, I'm happy to know we agree. :D

This is just an opinion.

#32 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

The nature of open source allows for tailored needs. For example, where Linux is concerned, any that use it has a version that suits their wants and needs. Linux is Linux, but each version of Linux has its own flavour, so-to-speak. So, you can have Ubuntu, RedHat, Suse, etc The best rise to the top through communal popularity. The eSword we currently use and like, does not need to change, but the open source factor means that others can adapt, modify, include, exclude features that makes their's and others study methods acheive its goal - to understand the Bible better.

If someone else has already said this, then I'm sorry, I am just a bit busy at this immediate moment to read the entire thread. However, I'm happy to know we agree. :D

This is just an opinion.

As much as what you said does make sense, the problem is when it to compatibility issues. And I think that Jonathon highlighted that problem with all the flavors of Open Office in that no two flavors are compatible with each other.

Moreover, the code you add for a program is not just there for your own use. It goes out to the Open Source community. You have no right to own that code, and can you make it to be closed source.

The RedHat version Linux isn't free. That you have to pay for! But Fedora is a free edition of RedHat.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#33 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

It goes out to the Open Source community. You have no right to own that code

Code that you wrote, and own the copyright to, can be used in other your other projects, even if they are distributed under a different license, including closed source licenses.

and can you make it to be closed source.

Free Software requires that source code be distributed. Open Source software does not require the source code to be distributed.
The best known Free Software license is the GPL. The best known Open Source license is BSD.

Getting back on topic, Rick can incorporate BSD licenced software in e-Sword, without running into legal issues, if the correct attribution is made. Perhaps more telling, he can incorporate GPL licenced code in e-Sword Live!, without running into legal issues.

jonathon

#34 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Great responses Jonathon. I like the spirit of your posts. Despite what some may believe, it was not my intention to stir up strife on the forum. I just feel that having e-sword's source code would lead to the development of e-sword as a native Mac and Linux application, and facilitate bug fixes and new features at a faster pace.

I enjoyed the thought of what was behind your poll. I did not take it as a negative or troublesome topic at all. thanks for posting. It got a lot of people thinking. We all need to spend more time thinking. We all enjoy esword and it's many features, and it is not uncommon for programmers and power users to see things that they would like to change or improve. There is the future to think about too. Perhaps one day Rick, and whomever he works with to develop the software, will want to do something different like open source. You never know...
Good day sir..

Mj

Edited by Michel Scr, 08 March 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#35 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

MJ_, Thank you for your kind post. I am a programmer and web developer which is what initially spurred my interest.

God bless,

Ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users