Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Samuel Davies Sermons/Works - 16th Century

ABANDONED

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:34 AM

I've been working some with raw module material uploaded to BibleSupport by LarryG on Samuel Davies. I have 15 sermons finished so far, so I think I'm going to do the Three Volumes. It appears that it's going to be slow going, and I don't know yet how often I'll be able to upload finished materials.

Edited by journey, 23 February 2012 - 12:22 PM.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#2 Vaughn

Vaughn

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationKaufman, Texas

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Take your time and make the best modules you can. I'm sure that we can stand to wait for some thing new.
Grace and Peace,
Your fellow Swordsman,
Vaughn R. Jacobs

#3 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

I'm running into all kinds of problems with the current source material that I don't think can be solved. I have another source for most of the same material that should be easier to work with. I'm going to cut my losses and start over.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#4 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

I'm running into all kinds of problems with the current source material that I don't think can be solved. I have another source for most of the same material that should be easier to work with. I'm going to cut my losses and start over.

Could I ask what sort of problems you are encountering with this source material?

#5 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

Could I ask what sort of problems you are encountering with this source material?

A large variety requiring tons of time to work with. I got some help from Josh on Word macros that would hopefully deal with part of it, but they don't work and simply freeze up Word. They did compile. Among the problems are paragraph/line breaks on every line with many of them including hyphenated words. I dealt with the first volume manually, and I won't do that again. Then the Scripture references are Roman and they wouldn't Tooltip in either of the latest versions of Tooltip. If Tooltipping was the only problem, I wouldn't do thousands of Scripture references by hand. There's more but that's enough, so I have 3 days of work with nothing to show for it. Try a couple of pages and you'll see pretty quickly. On top of everything else, I have a bug going around, so I'm not a very happy or well-feeling camper right now. I'm going to take a few days off to heal up and start again.

Edited by journey, 22 February 2012 - 02:16 AM.

#6 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

To Add:

I just got ToolTip to work on the Roman numerals, so my next strategy is to get to feeling better and try again on the rest of it.

#7 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:03 AM

I just got ToolTip to work on the Roman numerals, so my next strategy is to get to feeling better and try again on the rest of it.

BRAVO! I understand your frustration - really I do. I've done several topx and devx modules from these types of resources and didn't have a clue what to do. I'm just thinking now about makeing the major investment of Office 2010 after using OpenOffice for so long, especially since Josh wrote about compiling files with macro's. Then, after that, maybe OmniPage - it would be nice to have an accurate OCR file of the PDF.

I have looked at the text files associated with the PDF's and I think it's possible that I can deliver you semi-clean text files (one paragraph per line) with most of the hyphen's removed - as well as most of the punctuation tightened up. The spelling will still be attrocious with some extra characters. I'll let you know tomorrow how everything works out.

#8 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

I found another source for much cleaner text and used it. This was after several days of trying to deal with material containing thousands of needed fixes. So, I didn't do the three volumes of raw material. Instead, I did Choice Sermons of Samuel Davies from a different source. I appreciate the help of Josh Bond and others who tried to help me get a handle on the larger effort, but I eventually felt that I had to go with a smaller and more simple project. The smaller project contains 28 sermons and is in the topic file download area as "Davies, Samuel - Choice Sermons".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users