Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

BeST 2

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 butchylewis

butchylewis

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

I've been looking for BeST 2. Maybe even premium edition. My biggest issue is I still use 8x, which is my preference. I'm unable to convert 9x to 8x even if not from e-sword site, or premium module. Any help?

#2 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

I've been looking for BeST 2.

http://www.biblesupp...ile/2524-best2/

My biggest issue is I still use 8x, which is my preference.

What are your reasons for staying with e-Sword 8.x?
  • As you've discovered, virtually all new resources are being created for e-Sword 10.x only.
  • As you've no doubt noticed, there is very little support for e-Sword 8.x.
My thinking is that migration to e-Sword 10.x will be much simpler than converting e-Sword 9.x or 10.x resources to e-Sword 8.x format.

jonathon

Edited by jonathon, 24 September 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

I've been looking for BeST 2. Maybe even premium edition. My biggest issue is I still use 8x, which is my preference. I'm unable to convert 9x to 8x even if not from e-sword site, or premium module. Any help?

Best is largely unsupported by its author. I was unable to get Best to work on any of my computers, including Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7. But it does work for some people quite well. It does, however, keep me from troubleshooting the program.

I think Jonathon's right. Upgrading to 10.x will be a lot less work than staying with 8.x.

What are your reasons for staying with e-Sword 8.x?

• As you've discovered, virtually all new resources are being created for e-Sword 8.x 9.x+.
  • As you've no doubt noticed, there is very little support for e-Sword 8.x.
My thinking is that migration to e-Sword 10.x will be much simpler than converting e-Sword 9.x or 10.x resources to e-Sword 8.x format.

jonathon

#4 kriegshn

kriegshn

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

is there any convert to convert from 10.x/9.x back to 8.x?

#5 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

BeST 2.x will do it.

jonathon

#6 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

BeST 2x will do it only for commentaries, dictionaries, and Bibles. BeST 2 will not run on Windows 7 64 bit operating system and possibly some others.

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

BeST 2x will do it only for commentaries, dictionaries, and Bibles. BeST 2 will not run on Windows 7 64 bit operating system and possibly some others.

I don't think it runs on any 64bit operating system.

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

I think Jonathon's right. Upgrading to 10.x will be a lot less work than staying with 8.x.

Butch
Moreover than that, you will find that you are missing out on what the newest version has to give when it comes to Bible study. The fact that the Journal Editor is a major part of the program and of what you can use that for is perhaps the best reason why you should upgrade. Also of all your unlocked (third party) Topic Note files, they can be opened in the 10x series, and will automatically save to the the topx format. So you should not have any problems there. I dunno if it will work with your Study Note file, but I assume that it will.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#9 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

BeST 2x will do it only for commentaries, dictionaries, and Bibles.

There are three other tool chains that can convert all resources types defined in e-Sword Resource Format Specification 1 from e-Sword 10.x. However, they are multi-step processes, with intermediate file formats.

Two of the toolchains require one to be an Über-geek. The third one requires a working knowledge of pathetically ecclectic rubbish llister. In their current incarnation, none of them are more reliable, or better supported than BeST 2.x.

jonathon

#10 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Seems to me, all one really needs (but it's very hard to find) is a SQLite to Microsoft Access database converter. The problem is all the third party apps go the other way--from Access to SQLite (because Access is just terrible by modern database standards).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users