Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Problems on creating Chinese commentary

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chaowang

chaowang

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'm now developing the Chinese NET Bible commentary. I finished the text file and converted it to bblx using BEST2. However, even though the conversion process is succeeded, some of the Chinese words end up with question mark. (?) The original text was encoded as UTF-8. I have attached some of the texts below.

Thanks in advance!

Genesis 1:1 <sup>1</sup>「太初」(In the beginning)。本译本的立场:「太初」是绝对性的开始,而不是神创造天地的开始(「……的开始」或「当神创造」)。换而言之,本节是主句,第2节有三子句,描写及提供背景资料,第3节开始记录创造的过程。本处的「太初」是依照文义解释,因为神是无始无终的神。本节指我们认识的世界的开始,它肯定了一切都是神创造的结果。不过本节可以有两种译法:(1) 可指原始创造的行动(the original act of creation),其余各日的创造完成了全部的创造;第2节各更替子句(disjunctive clauses)就开始了第一日连串的创造。(2) 可指全章记录的总结,第3-31节就成了神创造我们认识的世界的细节。若采纳第 (1) 观点,原始创造就有了引证。若采纳第 (2) 观点,《创世记》就没有记载原始物质的创造;依循这观点并没有否定圣经的教导有关神从无有中创造万物(参约1:3),只是《创世记》没有作此肯定。第 (2) 观点假定了神说「要有光」之时已有物质存在。第 (1) 观点包括了物质原始状况的描写,作为创造的第一日的部份。接着的记载极为支持第 (2) 观点,因为「诸天/天空」(hevens/sky)在创造的第二日之前并不存在(参第8节),「地/陆地」(earth/dry land)在创造的第三日前亦不存在(参第10节)。<p>
<sup>2</sup> 「神」。אֱלֹהִים (’elohim) 这常用作称神(God)的希伯来文名字是复数式,当用作指唯一的真神时,动词用单数式,如本处。复数式显示荣耀和尊贵(majesty),这名称强调神的主权(sovereignity)和无比性(incomparability),祂是「万神之神」(God of gods)。<p>
<sup>3</sup> 「创造」(create)。希伯来文 בָּרָא (bara’) 一字一般用作神的作为(divine activity),塑造簇新的、新鲜的,和完全的东西。这动词不一定指「从无到有」的创造(参第27节人的创造),通常是强调翻新、更新、改造(参诗51:10;赛43:15; 65:17)。<p>
<sup>4</sup> 「诸天和地」(the heavens and the earth)或作「全宇宙」(the entire universe)、「天空和陆地」(the sky and the dry land)。指有形有序的宇宙,包括天、地,和其中的一切。「诸天和地」在七日内完成(参2:1),按着定例(fixed laws)运作(参耶33:25)。「诸天」(heavens)特指在第二日创造的「天空」(sky)(参第8节),「地」(earth)特指在第三日创造的「陆地」(dry land)(参第10节)。天和地皆和海分开(参创1:10及出20:11)。<p>

#2 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

I finished the text file and converted it to bblx using BEST2.

Unfortunately, BeST 2.x doesn't always play nicely with CJKV.

The original text was encoded as UTF-8

What happens when your original text is encoded as UTF-16?

jonathon

#3 chaowang

chaowang

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Unfortunately, BeST 2.x doesn't always play nicely with CJKV.

What happens when your original text is encoded as UTF-16?

jonathon

Jonathon,

Thank you so much for prompt reply! Actually when I convert this text to UTF16, it gives me a bunch of messy words.

I changed the encoding statement on the top of my perl script to

use encoding "gbk", STDIN => 'utf8', STDOUT => 'utf16';

But it seems no change. In fact I found there's a language option when converting bblx Bibles, but it's not available when converting cmtx commentaries. When I was creating the Chinese NET Bible, everything is good, no messy words at all. But the commentary seems to have lots of problems...

#4 chaowang

chaowang

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

And, do you know if there's any nice tool to create e-sword modules with CJK languages?

#5 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Have you tried T4 ( have no idea if it would work or not But it's way better then BeST2 in my opinion)

e-Sword Tooltip Tool NT (T4)

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#6 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Do you know if there's any nice tool to create e-sword modules with CJK languages?

When Rick released e-Sword 10.0.0, his theory was the users would use PERL or Python to create resources. And that they would know enough programming to know how to write the requisite scripts.

The only version of PERL I know is from the pink camel book. A version that is no longer supported.

jonathon

#7 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

How many of the hand full of module builders know and use Python or Perl

I thank GOD for Brent and T4 and all the module creation software that came before or there would be hardly any user created modules

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#8 chaowang

chaowang

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

Have you tried T4 ( have no idea if it would work or not But it's way better then BeST2 in my opinion)

e-Sword Tooltip Tool NT (T4)

I tried, but it also displays Chinese as strange characters, even though I set the raw text to be UTF-8.

#9 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

How many of the hand full of module builders know and use Python or Perl

One can use any programming language to which SQLite has been ported. That said, it is not that difficult to learn to program in Python.

Most of the organizations that develop resources, rewrite the conversion tools for each resource that is created. Sometimes the rewrite is extensive. Othertimes the rewrite is minor.

jonathon

#10 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

but it also displays Chinese as strange characters, even though I set the raw text to be UTF-8.

I don't where the PERL modules for creating e-Sword resources resides. :(

My recommendation is to use the modules on CPAN to glue together a CJKV e-Sword resource construction tool.

jonathon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users