Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

e-Sword 10.0.7 Released

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

e-Sword Supporter

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

e-Sword version 10.0.7 was posted today. It contains bug fixes and general performance improvements. Download here.

By the way, if you find e-Sword to be useful in your Bible study, might I encourage you -- as one e-Sword user to another -- to make a donation, however small it may be, to further the ministry. We have a large community here. Just think what Rick might be able to do if everyone here passed on a few bucks? :)

--David
Psalm4.org

Click here to view the articles

#2 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

Thanks David for the notice. I agree with supporting this ministry. A small donation of $20 or more will also get you a CD with e-Sword and many extras. These CDs make great gifts to family and friends, especially to those who might be going into the mission field.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#3 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

I find it interesting that the latest is smaller in size. 10.0.5 was 54,616 KB while 10.0.7 is 51,890 KB.

I concur on the donation. If you have not yet got around to it, establish a PayPal account. It is easy to do, easy to use and its security features makes it easy on the mind.
Posted Image

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

It contains bug fixes and general performance improvements.

e-Sword starts faster and less lag between switching verses in large commentaries now.

#5 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

It contains bug fixes and general performance improvements.

I had to go to Wine 1.2.3.0Ubuntu-1 for the resource text to be displayed.
Wine 1.3.4 is the current unstable release.
Wine 1.4.2 is the current testing release.

I haven't done any stress testing, but thus far, e-Sword 10.0.7has taken between three to five minutes longer to start than than e-Sword 10.0.5.

With that figure, I'm not sure I want to stress test it to the degree I've done with earlier versions.

jonathon

#6 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

I had to go to Wine 1.2.3.0Ubuntu-1 for the resource text to be displayed.
Wine 1.3.4 is the current unstable release.
Wine 1.4.2 is the current testing release.

I haven't done any stress testing, but thus far, e-Sword 10.0.7has taken between three to five minutes longer to start than than e-Sword 10.0.5.

With that figure, I'm not sure I want to stress test it to the degree I've done with earlier versions.

jonathon

Nearly all of your time delay must be your setup/operating system and/or your computer. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a clue why you're having to wait minutes for e-Sword to start. e-Sword starts in seconds on my current computer and setup, and the same was true when I used to run e-Sword under Ubuntu with Wine. I remember having to download additional files when I ran Ubuntu. Maybe you're missing those. It's been too long ago for me to remember.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#7 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Nearly all of your time delay must be your setup/operating system and/or your computer

Considering the only difference is the version of e-Sword, I'd suggest that something within e-Sword is taking longer to start.

If I can get e-Sword 10.0.5 on one screen, and e-Sword 10.0.7 on a second screen, I'll videotape them starting up, so people can see the difference in startup time, between the two.

###

In message # 210 in the thread http://www.biblesupp...20test__st__190, I list ways to maximize the amount of time e-Sword takes to startup.

Message # 199 of that thread contains some specific data about startup times.

###

How much interest would there be, in seeing e-Sword 10.0.7 tested with what is described in message # 207 of that thread? http://www.biblesupp...20test__st__190

jonathon

Edited by jonathon, 05 February 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#8 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hello Jonathon,

The only thing I'm curious about is the total time you're waiting for e-Sword startup. I wait seconds for e-Sword to load, and 10.0.7 loads several seconds faster than 10.0.5 did for me. It's fast enough that I've never had an interest in timing it. I can only speak for my computer and setup under Windows Vista 64 bit. Please don't go to any trouble for me because all I have is curiosity about your total startup time and why e-Sword is taking so long to open on your machine.

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hello Jonathon,

The only thing I'm curious about is the total time you're waiting for e-Sword startup. I wait seconds for e-Sword to load, and 10.0.7 loads several seconds faster than 10.0.5 did for me. It's fast enough that I've never had an interest in timing it. I can only speak for my computer and setup under Windows Vista 64 bit. Please don't go to any trouble for me because all I have is curiosity about your total startup time and why e-Sword is taking so long to open on your machine.

I think he's using a test machine--an intentionally very old, slow pc--with thousands of modules to run various "stress tests" on. His real life machine that he uses for real study is Linux and he has it rigged for e-Sword to run on it. For me, a Windows 7 user, 10.0..7 is noticeably faster at loading (5 seconds instead of 6.5) and switching tabs and entries in sizeable resources (hard to quantify but there's less delay). Previously, when using the Biblical Illustrator, there would be a small delay sometimes when clicking a new verse in the Bibles window. I have maybe 400 resources installed at any given time.

#10 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

I think he's using a test machine

This is on my Linux desktop, not Windows test machine.
I have not yet done any testing on the Windows test machine.

e-Sword 9.9.1 takes longer to start than either e-Sword 10.0.5 or e-Sword 10.0.7.
(I have all three installed on my laptop. )

jonathon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users