Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Adding new content to existing commentary

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

I posted the updated RTF, that contains the right verse references. Some were wrong (or missing) in that first one. Same download link as earlier.

#22 James Rice

James Rice

Moderator / Resource Builder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

I posted the updated RTF, that contains the right verse references. Some were wrong (or missing) in that first one. Same download link as earlier.

Thanks Josh. I'll jump on this tonight and see how it goes.

#23 James Rice

James Rice

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Updated T3 and grabbed newest rtf from Josh and still crashes.

#24 James Rice

James Rice

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

I can save the rtf in T3 as a rtf file, but I still can't tool tip or save it as a cmtx in esword. when I try to do either one T3 crashes on me. As I mentioned earlier when I split the file into two O.T and N.T I had no problem tool tipping or saving as a cmtx. Is it me or what?:D

#25 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

I can save the rtf in T3 as a rtf file, but I still can't tool tip or save it as a cmtx in esword. when I try to do either one T3 crashes on me. As I mentioned earlier when I split the file into two O.T and N.T I had no problem tool tipping or saving as a cmtx. Is it me or what?:D

Define "crash". Does the program quit, or are you getting an error message? if you are getting an error message, then it is helpful to know what it is saying.

#26 James Rice

James Rice

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:35 PM

Define "crash". Does the program quit, or are you getting an error message? if you are getting an error message, then it is helpful to know what it is saying.

It quits!.

#27 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

T3 crashes when I try to tooltip or save the whole file as a commentary, but only on this maclaren rtf. It maybe something in the RTF that T3 doesn't like. When cato sends me his material today, I'll try splitting up the RTF into smaller parts to see if its the overall size T3 doesn't like or some specific part of the RTF.

#28 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

T3 crashes when I try to tooltip or save the whole file as a commentary, but only on this maclaren rtf. It maybe something in the RTF that T3 doesn't like. When cato sends me his material today, I'll try splitting up the RTF into smaller parts to see if its the overall size T3 doesn't like or some specific part of the RTF.

I strive to have my programs not crash. I ran the maclaren.rtf on my development system, and it worked ok. I suspect there is a problem with the runtime, and this may take a little time to figure out. I do have a program flow tracing mechanism that can be turned on and may help resolve this issue. I'm going to be short on Internet access for a few weeks, so please be patient.

I've built several CMTX large modules using T3, one about 60MB. But I break them up into small projects and build them piece-meal. This capability I have not built into the user interface of T3. Perhaps I will need to explore that. I readily admit that 15mb is about the largest file I recommend working with at one time, for reasons because of limitations that I'm still trying to fully understand. It has to do with the underlying RTF tool that I use in T3.

#29 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:58 PM

I strive to have my programs not crash. I ran the maclaren.rtf on my development system, and it worked ok. I suspect there is a problem with the runtime, and this may take a little time to figure out. I do have a program flow tracing mechanism that can be turned on and may help resolve this issue. I'm going to be short on Internet access for a few weeks, so please be patient.

I've built several CMTX large modules using T3, one about 60MB. But I break them up into small projects and build them piece-meal. This capability I have not built into the user interface of T3. Perhaps I will need to explore that. I readily admit that 15mb is about the largest file I recommend working with at one time, for reasons because of limitations that I'm still trying to fully understand. It has to do with the underlying RTF tool that I use in T3.

I installed the runtime of T3 on a "clean" computer, and can confirm that there is a bug. It only happens in the runtime environment and not in my development system. The bug is not pretty. It is in the underlying tools which I use to program T3. I have documented how to generate the bug and will be reporting it to the makers of the tools I use. I actually also have a work around, but it also is not pretty. I created a runtime which will create the CMTX file from the MacLaren RTF file. Tooltipping will also have the same bug! I have not programmed the work around for that yet. The problem is that the code the generates the bug is ubiquitous in my source code. There is a command that pulls all the text, without RTF code out of the main edit control where I display text. That command causes the crash. The work around involves selecting all the text in the control, then requesting just the selected text, which in the work around is all the text in the control, so the results are the same. And it works! There 132 instances of this problem in T3. And as far as I can tell, it only happens on large files. How large, I'm yet not sure. I have gotten the error on about 10mb. I will need to create a bunch of test code, so my tools supplier can see the error and reproduce it on their end, so this can be fixed. Lucky for me, I know a number of the developers. The work around will cause a lot screen flickering so I need to work on preventing this. Again, as far as I can tell, this only happens in the runtime environment, and I can generate a repeatable example. The Time frame for a permanent fix is unknown. I may work on a temporary fix, but that will also take time. I'll let you all know. Thanks for your patience. In recent times I rarely test the runtime by itself because it it works in the development system, it work in the runtime. Not for large files apparently ... BH.

#30 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

I installed the runtime of T3 on a "clean" computer, and can confirm that there is a bug. It only happens in the runtime environment and not in my development system. The bug is not pretty. It is in the underlying tools which I use to program T3. I have documented how to generate the bug and will be reporting it to the makers of the tools I use. I actually also have a work around, but it also is not pretty. I created a runtime which will create the CMTX file from the MacLaren RTF file. Tooltipping will also have the same bug! I have not programmed the work around for that yet. The problem is that the code the generates the bug is ubiquitous in my source code. There is a command that pulls all the text, without RTF code out of the main edit control where I display text. That command causes the crash. The work around involves selecting all the text in the control, then requesting just the selected text, which in the work around is all the text in the control, so the results are the same. And it works! There 132 instances of this problem in T3. And as far as I can tell, it only happens on large files. How large, I'm yet not sure. I have gotten the error on about 10mb. I will need to create a bunch of test code, so my tools supplier can see the error and reproduce it on their end, so this can be fixed. Lucky for me, I know a number of the developers. The work around will cause a lot screen flickering so I need to work on preventing this. Again, as far as I can tell, this only happens in the runtime environment, and I can generate a repeatable example. The Time frame for a permanent fix is unknown. I may work on a temporary fix, but that will also take time. I'll let you all know. Thanks for your patience. In recent times I rarely test the runtime by itself because it it works in the development system, it work in the runtime. Not for large files apparently ... BH.

Brent, huge thanks man. Sorry this is such a pain. You're dedication and response time is unparalleled. I've contacted developers before on projects and you're lucky to even get a response back, much less a an effort like this. On the bright side, you might can add back in that code for multiple verse references that you thought was causing the problem? :)

josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users