Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Creating a "New Topic"

10 replies to this topic

#1 retracevad

retracevad

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

Hi all,

I have what I hope not to be a dumb question.  I'm unsure on how to go about creating a new topic in the new version 10.something.

I thought in previous versions that I would go up in the 'file' tab and in the drop down there would be a create a new topic.  Now the only option of making any sort of new topic is with the little white page icon in the editor's window which just seems to add a new 'chapter' if you will to a previous topic.  

Oooh... also (while i'm thinking of it)....  I came across a problem today when it came to saving my work in my study notes.  There I was working on my study for youth group when I went to save my work and a box came up that said something "file not recgonized"  or something of the sort followed by some numbers a hyphen and some more numbers.  I know that's vague and strange to say the least but I've never seen that and I've been hooked on e-Sword since at least version 8.  Just curious.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks for your time.  God bless.

dc
The wretch the song refers to

#2 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

To create a new Topic File in e-Sword v10, with the Topic Editor in view, press and hold the Ctrl key, and right click in the Editor. Select "New..."

#3 retracevad

retracevad

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

Wow.... so simple! Thanks for the quick reply. Greatly appreciate it!

dc

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

To create a new Topic File in e-Sword v10, with the Topic Editor in view, press and hold the Ctrl key, and right click in the Editor. Select "New..."

Wow.... so simple! Thanks for the quick reply. Greatly appreciate it!

Just a couple things you need to know that hasn't been mentioned.
  • In order to create a new Topic Note (topx) file by Ctrl Left Click (for those who are Kack Handed like me and have changed their mouse buttons - Ctrl Right Click) there has to be either an open existing file which has some stuff in it, or that a "New Document" has been placed in the topic.topx file so that you can use the Ctrl Left (or Right) Click.
  • If you do not create a that page (new Document) then the Ctrl Left (or Right) Click will not work.
So, please remember these important things when wanting to create a new Topic Note file in e-Sword 10x.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#5 retracevad

retracevad

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Thank you sir... I found that out right off the bat. Thanks again!

Brothers,

dc

#6 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

Just a couple things you need to know that hasn't been mentioned.

• In order to create a new Topic Note (topx) file by Ctrl Left Click (for those who are Kack Handed like me and have changed their mouse buttons - Ctrl Right Click) there has to be either an open existing file which has some stuff in it, or that a "New Document" has been placed in the topic.topx file so that you can use the Ctrl Left (or Right) Click.
  • If you do not create a that page (new Document) then the Ctrl Left (or Right) Click will not work.
So, please remember these important things when wanting to create a new Topic Note file in e-Sword 10x.

Blessings,

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying exactly. It is quite simple to create a new topic file. Ctrl+Right-click in the Topic editor, select New..., then the name of the file you wish to create. The file does not have to exist, and it does not have to be topic.topx. It can be any name you want. Then, click the New Topic button to create your first topic in that file, and you are off and running.

#7 quietdove

quietdove

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

To create a new Topic File in e-Sword v10,  with the Topic Editor in view, press and hold the Ctrl key, and right click in the Editor.  Select "New..."

It never occurred to me that I would get anything other than a new topic, which when I checked it out, I did(with just the white paper icon), however, being adventurous, I tried your suggestion, which worked. But I also noticed an option that says "convert to reference book". What is that?And also, my question, what if I want to add something, a sub category(new chapter) within a topic, can I do that? Does it all have something to do with the very intriguing "reference book" option with the "ctrl + right click"?

#8 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying exactly. It is quite simple to create a new topic file. Ctrl+Right-click in the Topic editor, select New..., then the name of the file you wish to create. The file does not have to exist, and it does not have to be topic.topx. It can be any name you want. Then, click the New Topic button to create your first topic in that file, and you are off and running.

Hey Doc,
They say that 1picture is better than a thousand words. Well something like that anyway. Here is a couple of pictures that shows what I mean, and I reckon says it better than 2000 words.

e-Sword Topic Note Editor with inactive toolbar
[attachment=360:Topic Note - Blank.jpg]

Please note here that nothing happens when you press Ctrl and Right Click (for us kank handed lot, Ctrl and Left Click)

e-Sword Topic Note Editor with active toolbar and New Note
[attachment=361:Topic Note, Create New.jpg]

This is where a "new" note has been created and the toolbar activated, that is when the context menu works. Outside of that, you cannot create a new Topic Note file in e-Sword, and it doesn't matter how hard you try, it just wont happen.
X (formerly Twitter)

#9 Vawdrermasar

Vawdrermasar

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:38 AM

Thank you sir... I found that out right off the bat. Thanks again! Brothers, dc

i totally agree with that. But still - we might be wrong with that.

p.s. Can u PM me with your personal contact?
Regards, Gerard.

#10 Unikalla

Unikalla

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Hello everyone! Very interesting site!

It has long been looking for some interesting topics :)

Thanx 2 KO!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users