Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Lange's Commentary for e-Sword

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#121 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

I believe the Hebrew/Greek is authentic and digitally remastered by a human, not an OCR process. Someone did an excellent job. There's been a number of sites that came and went with this text. Here's one that's still out there:

http://uskojaelama.net/lange/

I think the e-Sword version reads a whole lot easier than the HTML copy floating around. :)

#122 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

Ya think? :P So do I!
Posted Image

#123 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

I've circled around this post all day, trying to figure out a way to say this without hurting feelings or coming across as elitist. Neither is my intention.

Strong managed to bring the Biblical Hebrew and Greek into the range of the common person and thus blessed the lives of literally millions of people. Now that is a ministry with an on-going legacy! Talk about legs.

With that in mind, there comes a time when one realizes that Strong's, great as it is, is at best a set of training wheels and that eventually the training wheels must be left behind. What Josh has provided via Lange in German and Schaff in English, is a beautiful transition to a far more in-depth understanding of the original biblical languages than Strong's can provide.

I am of the opinion that inserting Strong's numbers into this work may not be helpful and may in fact stunt the spiritual and intellectual growth of the very people one is trying to help.
Posted Image

#124 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:54 AM

I've circled around this post all day, trying to figure out a way to say this without hurting feelings or coming across as elitist. Neither is my intention.

Strong managed to bring the Biblical Hebrew and Greek into the range of the common person and thus blessed the lives of literally millions of people. Now that is a ministry with an on-going legacy! Talk about legs.

With that in mind, there comes a time when one realizes that Strong's, great as it is, is at best a set of training wheels and that eventually the training wheels must be left behind. What Josh has provided via Lange in German and Schaff in English, is a beautiful transition to a far more in-depth understanding of the original biblical languages than Strong's can provide.

I am of the opinion that inserting Strong's numbers into this work may not be helpful and may in fact stunt the spiritual and intellectual growth of the very people one is trying to help.

Hi Ebed,
You've certainly captured my sentiments on this work extremely well, and I couldn't concur with you more. That said, I do beg to differ from you on the inserting of Strongs Numbers, and my reason for that is because I believe that this Commentary will fully compliment Liddell (I think that is the name) Greek Lexington that is current being created for e-Sword.

I've only seen a Hard copy of this Lexington, and from what I've seen of it, it really is a masterful piece of work. Also, with the only decent official e-Sword Greek (and Hebrew) Lexington configured to the Strong's numbering System, is the WordStudy Dictionary by AMG Publishers, of which I believe that this also would compliment the Lange's Commentary.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#125 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:23 AM

Wow Josh! - I just fired up Lange's Commentary. Beautiful - outstanding work. I can't thank you enough for all of your hard work. May God use this work for His Glory, and I know in my heart that He will.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#126 blcjr

blcjr

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

Hi Ebed,
You've certainly captured my sentiments on this work extremely well, and I couldn't concur with you more. That said, I do beg to differ from you on the inserting of Strongs Numbers, and my reason for that is because I believe that this Commentary will fully compliment Liddell (I think that is the name) Greek Lexington that is current being created for e-Sword.

I've only seen a Hard copy of this Lexington, and from what I've seen of it, it really is a masterful piece of work. Also, with the only decent official e-Sword Greek (and Hebrew) Lexington configured to the Strong's numbering System, is the WordStudy Dictionary by AMG Publishers, of which I believe that this also would compliment the Lange's Commentary.

Blessings,

Next time I drive through Lexington, I'll pay closer attention to the restaurants Must have some good Greek ones there. :) I don't know what is involved (assuming it is possible) in keying a commentary to Strong's, but as nice a feature as that might be, I might imagine that it would take forever in a work like Lange's. As for "ED's" remarks, I doubt that not having it keyed to Strong's will drive anyone to become more adept with the original. One is either motivated to do that, or not. I think one can learn enough about the language to do serious Bible study without necessarily being able to read it in the original. If one does not know the difference between the cases, or verb modes and tenses, and so on, then even Strong's is not that helpful, and the student is better off with a more interpretive resource, like Robertson's Word Pictures. After all, Strong's is just a lexicon. It will help with the root meaning of a word, but it does not deal with the word in context. Disclaimer: I had a semester of Greek in graduate school many years ago. I am not adept at reading the NT in Greek any longer, and have lost the faculty I once had of recognizing cases and moods. But that was enough that I can follow the argument of a comment in a "critical" commentary. I do not find my inability to read the Greek unaided to be a serious liability to serious Bible study. Especially not with the high quality of Bible software available to us these days. It seems that if Strong's is a detriment to learning Greek, one could say that about eSword also!

Basil

#127 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

I know a commentary is far different then a module of a lexicon but with all this opposition to Strongs numbering I Guess I should drop my project keying a manual Greek lexicon by Abbott-Smith and then after that was finished my next project Liddell to Strongs then

I wish people would have spoke up like this when I started the project I wouldn't have wasted all this time

Edited by DSaw, 27 May 2012 - 06:40 AM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#128 James091

James091

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

Just found this site today from my sunday school teacher. I have a partial set of the in print volumes and this version of Lange is a masterpiece. The eSword text reads easier than the the printed version!

#129 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

I know a commentary is far different then a module of a lexicon but with all this opposition to Strongs numbering I Guess I should drop my project keying a manual Greek lexicon by Abbott-Smith and then after that was finished my next project Liddell to Strongs then

I wish people would have spoke up like this when I started the project I wouldn't have wasted all this time

There are several viewpoints with regard to the usefulness of lexicons, but no one I know of doesn't have and use at lest one of them to get at least a rough idea of the meanings and flavor of the original language from time to time.

One of my favorite teachers could read and translate directly from the Greek (and to a lesser degree from the Aramaic and Hebrew), that didn't mean that there were no lexicons in his personal library, much less does it mean that he was adverse to recommending WORD PICTURES IN THE NEW TESTAMENT by A.T. Robertson and Vincent's Word Studies (He tended to prefer Robertson over Vincent's.) I use frequently use the BTSCTVM which combines Brown Driver Briggs, Thayers, the KJV Concordance, and Strong's TMV as well as both Robertson and Vincent and Vines's (though less frequently) various other lexicons and morphologies.

I'm not a pastor, I'm a Sunday School teacher for an adult class, as such I have to have a knowledge of the material (since I teach expository) that will anticipate and answer most if not all of their questions. Part of how I do this is to include in the lesson book, in addition to the dozen or so questions for class discussion, a couple of pages of expository commentary per lesson. At times verses seem to contradict other scripture, and definitions as modified by Tense Mood and Voice (for the Greek) help explain these.

There is a valid use for lexicons, dictionaries, morphologies and such, and no one is denying that. For some they act as training wheels, for others their content is all that is needed for their particular level of study.

I am certain that no one is recommending you not create a lexicon module or denigrating you efforts.

Edited by Baunllaw, 27 May 2012 - 02:48 PM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#130 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi DSaw,

Please continue your work (labour of Love), for many people will benefit from it. Because they can use the strongs or not. but it will benefit people studying the Word better (just my opinion)

Thank you very much and continue the work.
Niobi aka Patchworkid

Edited by patchworkid, 27 May 2012 - 02:55 PM.

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users