Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Lange's Commentary for e-Sword

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#101 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

But using a shovel gives it that "personal" touch that you just can't get from a machine!

On the other hand, one reason I like making e-Sword modules from bad scans is that it forces me to read the book as I correct the OCR mistakes. I actually learn a lot doing it that way, and I can guarantee a 99% typo-free module, even though it takes some time (I've got about 7 different books I'm doing this to right now...and there's the College Press set that I've been working on for quite some time as well).

I also understand about the manual part of it.. I've done articles to pass among friends and as you say, by reading through and correcting things, manually adding any tool tips that were not correctly converted, typos, whatever.. It is very worthwhile and when you get done, you have not only made something that someone can benefit from, you have also benefited from it..
The creation, the effort, is an act of giving.. in the act of giving, the one that gives gets a lot out of it... This is Gods way..

#102 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hi Josh,
I'm not trying to persuade you to go down a different track from using T4 to working directly from a Database file. I tend to think that on this kind of stuff its a matter of horses for courses.

That said, the primary reasons why I prefer to work directly from a Database file are as follows:
  • Have immediate interaction with the editing between the Database Manager and e-Sword. I can see the results straight away in e-Sword.
  • Although all the work is manually done, I have total control over the editing.
  • Working within the Database file, I know where the last entry was, and where I can continue from.
  • Because the work is within the Database file, there is no need to import from another application, and to export to another a application. This totally wipes out any risk of conversion error and corruption.
  • Perhaps the best part of it is this, having total control over the RTF and UTF code. Because the code is manually typed in, I can do stuff to the resource where with other applications I may be unable to do so.
Now, I realize that because all the work is manual and time consuming, this is perhaps the biggest downside to working directly from a Database file. But from my perspective, if one wants to have as close to a 100% quality to the work, then doing it from the Database engine (or something that replicates it) then has a huge plus for it. Moreover, because one has immediate results from the editing, the work can be viewed and checked for errors straight away in e-Sword, and that of itself, is one huge plus.

The only thing I would have a difficulty with in this instance, is the ability to include graphics in a Dictionary and/or a Commentary module directly working in a Database file. I think it might be an idea for me to actually download a copy of SQLite itself, rather than use a Database Manager or Browser.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 18 May 2012 - 07:11 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#103 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

It's just terribly time inefficient and one can achieve the same quality or better with automated tools. If I used that method, the Biblical Illustrator I released 5 months ago would still be a work in progress and nothing I've release since then would have been made. I wouldn't even have made Biblical Illustrator because I would have been working on the dozens of projects that were completed before it.

Take it from someone who has now made hundreds of thousands of "pages" of modules--the tools we have to code RTF are far more efficient than typing characters into a database. I feel obligated to say this each time because I don't want a new person to see this and think they should play with RTF code in a database for 3 years to make one resource. They don't and they shouldn't :)

#104 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

My next comment on this project will likely be the upload itself.

I just couldn't help but look back and reflect on this.. This statement has to be biggest teaser for a bible study student / Esword resource junkie..
You really know how to keep a feeling of suspese building! :ph34r: :lol: :D

#105 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

It's just terribly time inefficient and one can achieve the same quality or better with automated tools...

Hi Josh,
As I said, its horses for courses.

If I used that method, the Biblical Illustrator I released 5 months ago would still be a work in progress and nothing I've release since then would have been made.

Its for that kind of reason I select my projects very carefully and work on only one project at a time. It doesn't bother me about the time it takes to create a resource as long at it looks good.

Take it from someone who has now made hundreds of thousands of "pages" of modules--the tools we have to code RTF are far more efficient than typing characters into a database.

I agree to a certain extend. However, as seen in your comment about the difficulties that you experience T4's limitation with RTF, its obvious not all tools are up to speed in handling the full extent of RTF encoding, and therefore limitations are presented.

I don't want a new person to see this and think they should play with RTF code in a database...

I don't think anyone is, and I certainly don't recommend that anyone ought to. What I have shared is purely from my perspective of how I can see the results at the same time do the work, and this in being able to see the results almost straight away, not only do I get a great deal of satisfaction from it, but also I am able to see any errors straight away in e-Sword, and that has a real huge advantage over having to proofread a completed resource. Any errors I make I can fix straight away. As soon as I get a chapter done and saved it, I go to e-Sword, refresh the module, and then look for errors or something that I omitted, and if I have, I then go back and fix it straightaway. This is I find is really good. Do things straight away, and it means I don't have to proofread it later.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#106 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

It is finished. I estimated 2 weeks and it took 2 months. :) It would have taken 2 years (or 20 years) without Brent Hildebrand's ToolTip NT. And a special thanks for "Raymond" for his help earlier today!

http://www.biblesupp...res-25-volumes/

I hope you guys enjoy Lange's Commentary, along with the Memorial Day weekend.

#107 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Thank you Josh - it's beautiful. :wub: Sorry, but that's the only word that comes to mind. Very easy to read and to follow. Publication quality, just as you keep speaking of. :)

#108 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

I did my evening log on about three minutes after the module was posted. Obviously I haven't had time for more then a cursory glance, but it looks like it will be every bit as good as anticipated.

Congratulations, Josh, and thank you for your efforts.
Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#109 dartmaster644

dartmaster644

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Josh....
Thank you....my friend ! Thank you for this fine Commentary....and Thank you for your work and dedication to the advance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ !

Dartmaster644

#110 James Rice

James Rice

Moderator / Resource Builder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Josh! You did an absolutely outstanding job. It looks great! God bless you my brother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users