Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Please Tag Your Uploads (New and Old)

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

We've always been able to categorize resources by Module Type (Commentary, Bible, Topic, Devotion, etc). We can now categorize resources by other terms, as discussed here.

Please Tag Your Existing Uploads
Please edit any file you previously uploaded to include the proper tags. Why? So users can find them easier. And to reduce the workload for our moderators.

Requirements for New Uploads
When you upload a new file, you must include category tags or your resource will be unapproved. Also, any new file uploaded without at least a meaningful sentence or two description of the file's contents or the file will be unapproved until you can provide one. For topics, this would preferably include a listing of the Table of Contents, but not absolutely required.

Finding Files You Previously Uploaded
You can easily see all files you have contributed to this website:
Download attachment: files-you-uploaded.png

How Do I Tag/Categorize a Resource I Uploaded?
1) View the file description and click Edit this Upload:
Download attachment: edit-upload.pong.png

2) If you previously listed tags in the "Suggest a Tag" field (see below), delete them from this field and use the drop-down menu to select them instead. If you can't find the tag you need and believe we should add one, place the suggested tag in the "Suggest a Tag" field and email/chat me to let me know.

Posted Image

We put *** divisions between the tag categories to "break-up" the list of tags. This way, it's easier for the human eye to see the list of tags. There is no need to tag a resource by Module Type. That's why there's no tag for "Topic" or "Commentary". We already have categories for these and the resource should be in that category.

What's the Point of this?
Users will be able to navigate by Tag (or Bookshelf). See the Bookshelves block at the bottom of the image below (or go to the Downloads section to see this live):

Posted Image

When tagged, resources will look like this:
Posted Image

Tag/Category Cheat Sheet:
We do have a number of tags to chose from. Here's a hierarchy of how they are listed so you can familiarize yourself with them. We are updating this list as the need arises, so feel free to suggest any you need to tag your resource. When you edit or upload a file, and click the "Add a Tag" link, you will see this list:

Scripture,
Whole Bible,
Old Testament,
New Testament,
Pentateuch (Gen-Deu),
OT History (Joshua-Esther),
OT Wisdom (Poetry),
Major Prophets,
Minor Prophets,
Gospels,
Pauls Letters,
General Letters,
Apocrypha,
Literal,
Paraphrase,

Theology,
Angelology,
Anthropology,
Apologetics / Evangelism,
Arminian,
Bibliology (BibleDoctrine),
Calvinism,
Christology,
Comparative Religion,
Demonology,
Dispensationalism,
Ecclesiology,
Eschatalogy (Endtimes),
Hell,
Pneumatology,
Rapture,
Soteriology (Salvation),
Systematic Theology,
Theology Proper (NatureOfGod),

Denominations and Disciplines,
Anglican,
Baptist,
Bretheren,
Calvary Chapel,
Catholic,
Charismatic,
Church of Christ,
Congregationalist,
Lutheran,
Methodist,
Pentecostal,
Presbyterian,
Puritan,
Unorthodox,

History,
Biography,
Church History,
Medieval Period (476-1400),
Renaissance (1400-1650),
Enlightenment (1650-1800),
Modern (1800-Today),

Biblical Studies,
Bible Backgrounds,
Bible Characters,
Expository Topics,
Jesus Studies,
NT History,
NT Survey,
OT Survey,
Parables,
Textual Criticism,
Types,

Christian Living,
Living a Christian Life,
Childrens Ministries,
Devotional,
Education,
Marriage / Family,
Missions,
Prayer,
Women,

Language / Interpretation,
Context,
Exegesis,
Hermeneutics,
Linguistics / Philology,
Methodology,

Pastoral,
Counseling,
Delivery Method,
Homiletics,
Illustrations/Quotations,
Sermons/Outlines,
Theology of Preaching,
Sermon Helps,

Books Bible,
Genesis,
Exodus,
Leviticus,
Numbers,
Deuteronomy,
Joshua,
Judges,
Ruth,
Samuel,
Kings,
Chronicles,
Ezra,
Nehemiah,
Esther,
Job,
Psalm,
Proverbs,
Ecclesiastes,
Song of Solomon,
Isaiah,
Jeremiah,
Lamentations,
Ezekiel,
Daniel,
Hosea,
Joel,
Amos,
Obadiah,
Jonah,
Micah,
Nahum,
Habakkuk,
Zephaniah,
Haggai,
Zechariah,
Malachi,
Matthew,
Mark,
Luke,
John,
Acts,
Romans,
Corinthians,
Galatians,
Ephesians,
Philippians,
Colossians,
Thessalonians,
Timothy,
Titus,
Philemon,
Hebrews,
James,
Peter,
1 2 3 John,
Jude,
Revelation

Click here to view the articles

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

Josh,
As much as I like what you're doing, there is a major hurdle. What happens when someone has no idea as to where something goes. The major things that you have there is fine, but stuff like Journals, Devotionals, Reading Plans, Tutorials and etc aren't there. Not just that, some (like me) have no idea as to what category a particular Topic Note or Reference book may belong and/or what goes where. So, how do you deal with these kind of issues?

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

Josh,
As much as I like what you're doing, there is a major hurdle. What happens when someone has no idea as to where something goes. The major things that you have there is fine, but stuff like Journals, Devotionals, Reading Plans, Tutorials and etc aren't there. Not just that, some (like me) have no idea as to what category a particular Topic Note or Reference book may belong and/or what goes where. So, how do you deal with these kind of issues?

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).

Hi Stephen,

We don't need tags for Topic notes, Reading Plans, Bibles, Commentaries, etc because they are module types. We have categories that represent module types. The resource is already uploaded into one of those categories. Tagging is for categorizing resources beyond the module type. If we just tag resources as "bible" or "commentary" or "reading plan", then that's just replicating the category structure that we already have. :) Someone just messaged about creating a Devotional tag for topics that are devotional in nature and obviously, they aren't devotional modules--they are topic modules. So I'm adding that now.

I can see some situations, such as for a general dictionary, where a tag may not apply. But if the dictionary is heavy into Greek/Hebrew, then choose those tags. If the dictionary is Catholic, then pick the catholic tag. Tags are merely a way of further specifying what a module contains. There will be some exceptions, no doubt, maybe for documentation. But there's not much documentation out there anyway.

The big area is any topic should have at least one tag. I mean, what is the resource about? It has to be about something, right? So pick the tags that best represent the resource. Maybe only one tag applies. Maybe 30 tags would apply and if so, then pick the top 2 or 3 or 5 (maybe the most obvious ones, although there is no limit on the number of tags a resource can have).

#4 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

Josh,

First, I really would like to see a "commentary" tag - so I can peruse all of the .topx modules that are commentaries. I realize this will confuse some; but to me, the most helpful .topx modules are commentaries or doctrinal treatises. Example: I just uploaded a 3 volume commentary on Proverbs. Obviously, I tagged it "Proverbs", but would like to have tagged it "Commentary" as well.

Second, if someone doesn't know what tag applies to a module - why are they uploading it? I'm grateful tagging and explanations are now required. I've recently found cultic stuff that I wouldn't have bothered downloading had it been aptly described/tagged by the uploader.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

Josh,

First, I really would like to see a "commentary" tag - so I can peruse all of the .topx modules that are commentaries. I realize this will confuse some; but to me, the most helpful .topx modules are commentaries or doctrinal treatises. Example: I just uploaded a 3 volume commentary on Proverbs. Obviously, I tagged it "Proverbs", but would like to have tagged it "Commentary" as well.

Second, if someone doesn't know what tag applies to a module - why are they uploading it? I'm grateful tagging and explanations are now required. I've recently found cultic stuff that I wouldn't have bothered downloading had it been aptly described/tagged by the uploader.

Thank you for tagging all of your resources before I even posted this. :)

I'm of the belief (as you are too I think) that as we mature from a "start-up" site, we should move away from forcing a user to download a resource to determine what exactly it is. That's why Bill has been working so hard, going resource by resource copying the table of contents/preface/etc into the description.

The problem I have with adding module types as tags is 1) people will just tag it by that instead of actually thinking: "what is this resource about?" and selecting a proper tag. And 2) end users will expect to see a list of all commentaries when they click the commentary tag and instead, all they will see are resources tagged as such when someone uploaded a topic/commentary combo. We only have 2 or 3 topic/commentary combo's anyway. If we added a commentary tag, we'd have to tag every commentary as a commentary for it to make sense for the end user, which is not the end of the world--only 100 commentaries or so last I looked. I'll think on it to see what I can come up with.

#6 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

>We don't need tags for Topic notes, Reading Plans, Bibles, Commentaries, etc because they are module types.

What happens when I release 2000+ Bible Reading Plans for e-Sword?
[Hmm, Rick hasn't yet responded to my email about them.]

Anybody who downloads even a quarter of them is going to be swamped.

Or perhaps a better example is my:
  • 250 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints;
  • 5 Fundamental Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints;
  • 10 Community of Christ;
topical file resources. Labeling them all as "Mormon" is as useful as labeling all Baptist oriented resources as "Landmark Baptist", or all Christian Church/Disciples of Christ material as Church of Christ (One Cup).

Also, in looking at the tags, I don't see anything that would be suitable for content that covers the theological spectrum between Richard Dawkins, and pop American Protestant Christianity. Definately no place for the fastest growing religion, as a percentage of adherents, in the United States. (Content about the fastest growing religion in in terms of outright numbers appears to be discouraged, if not outright banned on this site.)

jonathon

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

>We don't need tags for Topic notes, Reading Plans, Bibles, Commentaries, etc because they are module types.

What happens when I release 2000+ Bible Reading Plans for e-Sword?
[Hmm, Rick hasn't yet responded to my email about them.]

Anybody who downloads even a quarter of them is going to be swamped.

Or perhaps a better example is my:

• 250 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints;
  • 5 Fundamental Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints;
  • 10 Community of Christ;
topical file resources. Labeling them all as "Mormon" is as useful as labeling all Baptist oriented resources as "Landmark Baptist", or all Christian Church/Disciples of Christ material as Church of Christ (One Cup).

Also, in looking at the tags, I don't see anything that would be suitable for content that covers the theological spectrum between Richard Dawkins, and pop American Protestant Christianity. Definately no place for the fastest growing religion, as a percentage of adherents, in the United States. (Content about the fastest growing religion in in terms of outright numbers appears to be discouraged, if not outright banned on this site.)

jonathon

So we should add a TV Preacher tag, we can call it the Joel Osteen tag? Good? Hahah, kidding.

That's why we have the Suggest a Tag field, so people can suggest things we have no doubt over looked. The tags were really designed around our existing uploads and the system is very flexible to add new tags.

As for your 2,000 Bible Plans, you get around to making and releasing 2,000 modules, then we'll come up with a subcategory (?) in the Bible Reading Plan category or whatever makes sense. I didn't initially expect Bible Reading Plans to even have a tag. I guess you could tag it according to which part of the Bible the plan applies to. If you feel we need another tag for a resource you want to upload, either suggest it as a tag in the upload or if you want it ready before you upload, email me and I'll take care of it.

#8 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

As for your 2,000 Bible Plans, you get around to making and releasing 2,000 modules,

I made them some time ago. I am/was waiting for Rick to OK their release. However, some of them have escaped their holding cell. B)

jonathon

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

Why do you have 2,000 of them? What do they cover, out of curiosity. Certainly not 2,000 read your bible in 6 months plans? It would have be different, but how? I assume they subscribe to your theology outside the 66 book canon but even then why would you have 2,000?

#10 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

Certainly not 2,000 read your bible in 6 months plans?

• For every Book in the Bible:
  • Read the entire book every day, for forty days;
  • Read a chapter a day, until it has been read forty times;
  • Read two chapters a day, until it has been read forty times.
  • Read three chapters a day, until it has been read forty times;
  • Read four chapters a day, until it has been read forty times;
  • Read five chapters a day, until it has been read forty times;
  • For books that contain more than six chapters:
  • Read the entire book in seven days;
  • For books that contain more than twenty-nine chapters:
  • Read the entire book in thirty days;
  • For the Gospels, The Prophets, The Psalms, and The Torah:
  • Read it every seven days;
  • Read it every thirty days;
  • Read it every ninety-one days;
  • Read a chapter every day;
  • Read two chapters a day;
  • Read three chapters a day;
  • Read four chapters a day;
  • Read five chapters a day;
  • For the Tanakh and New Testament:
  • Read it every thirty days;
  • Read it every 91 days;
  • Read it every 180 days;
  • Read a chapter a day;
  • Read two chapters a day;
  • Read three chapters a day;
  • Read four chapters a day;
  • Read five chapters a day;
That gives 472 BRPs for the Protestant Canon.
The Anagignoskomena adds roughly 100 more.

but even then why would you have 2,000?

I'd have to read my notes for each BRP to know how it differs from the others.

There are three or four chronological Bible Reading Plans. Only one of them has the five creation stories in the Tanakh, and two in the New Testament, at the beginning of the plan. Most chronological Bibles run the two Genesis accounts at the beginning, and one of the NT accounts at the beginning of the New Testament cycle, ignoring the other four stories.

There are two plans that read texts by assumed/alleged date of the writing of the text.

There are a couple of hundred that are histories of people or places.

Some roughly approximate lectionary and daily office readings.

Most of the rest are examples of why just because something can be done, that does not mean that it should be done.

jonathon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users