Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

College Press Commentary Set (1950's/60's Version)

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 Anthony Grubb

Anthony Grubb

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

Having a little trouble discerning where in the process we are on these... So we have permission to build the files, and they are almost finished, but we do not have expressed consent to distribute them (yet)? Is this a fair summation?

#42 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Daniel, Ephesians & Strauss Revelation are complete but not in module format. Someone will build these as soon as I send them. They will need final tweaking.

Now working on Isaiah 1000pp. (3vol, up to p 227 vol 1).

Daniel done except for the chart 411, a map w. list of events.

We have permission to create BTS modules but not distribute text copies of the works. In other words if I upload for anyone to download a corrected text then the site and myself may get a warning. however, if someone removes the text from the database then the site and myself are not responsible.

#43 JesusLives

JesusLives

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

I think they gave this website permission nearly 2 years ago to make this set. I know a lot of people have attempted this large work or said they were working on it. But people come and go and commitments change. People have lives I know.

I'd like to see someone like Josh take the bull by the horns, and get this project done, like what happened with the Constable resource. I don't mean to tell anyone how to do the work, I just think that "tomorrow" will become "never" without intervention.

Tom

#44 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

This project is still in the back of my mind. I haven't forgotten about it.

My thought was as long as there's people saying they are working on it, I was going to create modules from text I already had.

I don't mind doing this project at some point. I've become a lot more acclimated to OCRing text. But I don't want to duplicate efforts. I'll try to track down everyone who said they were working on this to see if the project is still alive there.

#45 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

I have done, Eph, Rev, Dan (map w. text problem).  Isaiah complete but missing 2pgs in vol2 pdf (also missing archeology  pictures from vols, which could be copied but best to look for images on the net).  some work on minor prophets vol 1, slow on/off job.  My Best advise is to OCR missing works and download from IA text files of other BTS books.  I have not uploaded the remaining PDF's BTS NT works to IA.  I can upload remaining PDF's thursday to IA. 

I got sick of the Adobe OCR, so I used the IA instead, better results.  also I wanted to market the works better, than just being on the College press site.

I only surrender the proofed Doc.s to module builder. We do not have rights to distribute clean proofed read copies on the site.  I would prefer to not drag others into possible copyright violations.  We want the site to continue.

Michael

#46 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

AbbyFine Reader is the best overall OCR tool I've found. The downside is you can find it on sale for $100 sometimes, but the upside is it makes OCRing text much less time consuming.

I'm the only module maker left on this project. If you would send me the doc files you sent the other module makers, I would appreciate it: josh@biblesupport.com

Josh

#47 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

IA = internet archive and have about 4 more vols to upload.  I did all NT except Acts yesterday.  I get you the rest.  It is not easily to find all.  I'm not clear as to why the IA search does not p/u all books.

Let them do the work its easier.

Michael

Edited by anh Mike, 19 July 2013 - 05:58 AM.

#48 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hey, josh:  run a series of find/replace on those BST works.  The following

^p^p replace w. ^l^l

- ^p replace w. remove dash and bksp so that hyphenated word are whole

^p replace w. nothing

all this will help w. organizing paragraphs if U already do not do this.  If you have a macro, send it to me so I can run it.

I'll try to do this series w. the remaining works.

Michael

#49 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

all vols from site uploaded to IA.  Finto

#50 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hey Mike,

Each PDF will need to be run through Abby Finereader and proof scanned page by page inside Abby to find the OCR mistakes. Abby does a good job of highlighting the uncertain characters. Abby also retains the paragraph and line structure pretty well. 

Going the "OCR dump" route through Archive.org or through Adobe Acrobat (or just about anything else) will yield something that looks like text but it will be full of errors, bad line breaks, void of italics/bold, etc. And ferreting out those errors will take more time than just doing running the scans through Abby to begin with. 

I've started in Matthew and made good progress. I estimate it will take 2 months to get this properly digitized.

Josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users