Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Changes to Download area

13 replies to this topic

#1 Greg H

Greg H

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:57 AM

Hi,
I notice on your 'front page' that you talked about changing the structure because noone should be using v8 anymore. May I say as a very happy v8 user that I find this dissapointing. I suspect that there are many like me who did not want to go up to v9 for various reasons. (I am prepared to be shown to be wrong here.) The two reasons I stayed with v8 are;
1; problems running both versions on the same computer
2; Problems converting some of my modules (some of these have now been sorted out)

May I ask that you not forget us v8 users please?

Thanks,
Greg H.

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for sharing your V8 experience. I honestly wondered why people continued using e-Sword 8.

Don't worry, I will leave the e-Sword 8 download area and message forums for e-Sword 8 users. I didn't think anyone was using e-Sword 8 because there haven't been any uploads to that section.

If you want to make the leap to 9, and you need help with converting your modules, there's several of us who can help you. I've helped several people recover data from corrupted study notes that seems to happen at random with e-Sword 8 because it uses the Access database. So if you have extensive study notes, you may consider upgrading before that happens.

Josh

Hi,
I notice on your 'front page' that you talked about changing the structure because noone should be using v8 anymore. May I say as a very happy v8 user that I find this dissapointing. I suspect that there are many like me who did not want to go up to v9 for various reasons. (I am prepared to be shown to be wrong here.) The two reasons I stayed with v8 are;
1; problems running both versions on the same computer
2; Problems converting some of my modules (some of these have now been sorted out)

May I ask that you not forget us v8 users please?

Thanks,
Greg H.

#3 Greg H

Greg H

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:17 PM

Hi Josh,
Thanks for that.

I appreciate your offer for help. I realise that eventually I should "bite the bullet" and make the step up to v9 but my system is working very nicely at the moment and I am reluctant to upset it.

I liked your modification to the front page.

Regards,
Greg H.

Thanks for sharing your V8 experience. I honestly wondered why people continued using e-Sword 8.

Don't worry, I will leave the e-Sword 8 download area and message forums for e-Sword 8 users. I didn't think anyone was using e-Sword 8 because there haven't been any uploads to that section.

If you want to make the leap to 9, and you need help with converting your modules, there's several of us who can help you. I've helped several people recover data from corrupted study notes that seems to happen at random with e-Sword 8 because it uses the Access database. So if you have extensive study notes, you may consider upgrading before that happens.

Josh

#4 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

I honestly wondered why people continued using e-Sword 8.

There is some functionality in e-Sword 7.7.7, that is not in e-Sword 8.x, or e-Sword 9.x.

jonathon

#5 dcblana

dcblana

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

There is some functionality in e-Sword 7.7.7, that is not in e-Sword 8.x, or e-Sword 9.x.

jonathon

Which functionality or functionalities do you mean, Jonathon, please?

Dan

#6 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

Which functionality or functionalities do you mean,

Inasmuch as the note you are responding to has a negative rating, and, in light of my statement a few weeks ago that I will treat negative ratings as formal requests to not provide documentation, or answers, I will not be answering your question.

I am sorry if that offends you.

jonathon

#7 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

Inasmuch as the note you are responding to has a negative rating, and, in light of my statement a few weeks ago that I will treat negative ratings as formal requests to not provide documentation, or answers, I will not be answering your question.

I am sorry if that offends you.

jonathon

I am new to the forums and I do not honestly know what "a negative rating" is and where to find it. Is this something implied in the substance of the post? Does each post get one? I didn't see anything inherently negative about any of the posts in this thread. Please, be kind, gentlemen. :)

#8 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

I am new to the forums and I do not honestly know what "a negative rating" is and where to find it. Is this something implied in the substance of the post?

Under each message is a green arrow, and a red arrow. Green arrows are positive, and add karma. Red arrows are negative, and subtract karma.

The theory is that the arrows provides information on how useful either the specific post is, or the individual in general is. The practice is that they are used to demote those that one has a personal dislike of.

Please be kind

You can decide whether or not it is a kindness to know that a 300 page manual on using Pocket e-Sword, and 150,000 pages of documentation on e-Sword will not be distributed, because those negative ratings were taken as a formal request to not distribute documentation for either program.

Documentation that included the differences between the various versions, and what it enabled one to do.

jonathon

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

I am new to the forums and I do not honestly know what "a negative rating" is and where to find it. Is this something implied in the substance of the post? Does each post get one? I didn't see anything inherently negative about any of the posts in this thread. Please, be kind, gentlemen. :)

Forget the ratings drama. :)

The old versions of e-Sword are still around on BitTorrent, an unregulated peer-to-peer file sharing system. As far as I know, that's the only place you can still get them. I don't think the developer of e-Sword hosts the older versions because who wants to support a 3-4 year old program? Plus, when you create new versions, you've created something better and you want people to use your new version.

I downloaded version 8.x and a version 7.x a while back and all that struck me about the older versions is how far e-Sword has really come. I wouldn't use any of them for a second over version 9.x. As far as having a detailed account of their differences, I didn't bother.

That's one reason why I don't worry about converting 9.x resources into previous formats. I believe the 9.x version is superior. I don't mind hosting older files but resources for previous versions are not my priority. Having spoken with a few 8.x (and below) users, I understand the technical intimidation some feel to upgrading. But that's why this website exists!

#10 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

Hey, Josh,

At the time I upgraded from 8x to 9x, I was a novice at this eSword stuff. Not only that, but I had a lot of resources I didn't want to lose. And not only that; there was almost zero help on the previous user site for converting because no one had written anything on it yet. But I forged ahead, and converted. It was relatively easy - and I've never looked back.

From my experience, the only resources that wouldn't convert are either 1) premium resources; or 2) pirated resources. And it's relatively easy to upgrade premium resources. (It makes me wonder about those who gripe about having a ton of resources that won't convert.)

Once 9.5 came out (with docking windows), who would want to go back?!

At www.DoctorDaveT.com, we don't host pre-9x modules at all. I think it is a waste of time to build resources that the creator will not support. I wrote a couple of blogs about the conversion at the former users site; I think I'll go get them, put them up at DDT, and then put a few links here. One is a "how to" and one is a "how come you haven't" (which I wrote with a humorous slant). I think you'll enjoy reading them.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users