Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Limits on resources we host?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#11 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

On e-Sword-users.org, theological content was irrelevant.

It appears from the old website database that someone pulled Jehova Witnesses/Watchtower material offline. The files are gone but the database shows they used to be apart of the site. So I think everyone must have their outer limits...

#12 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

Perhaps we could tone down the rhetoric and instead promote the Golden Rule. The use of such words as cult, heretic, false religion, etc. are just as bad as another phrase with a high negativity index: "religious bigot." As Clarke's commentary points out: "The zeal which leads persons to persecute others for religious opinions is not less a seed of the devil than a bad opinion itself is." I suggest that we could all do little more to show the true love of Christ. Perhaps we could learn from the wisdom of Gamaliel in Acts 5:34-39.
Posted Image

#13 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

Just because we post material that we view is unorthodox or heretical does not mean that we are working for the devil (in my opinion). I grew up a Roman Catholic, but I now view some of the teachings of this church as heretical. I do believe there are many Christian brothers and sisters in the Roman Catholic church (often in spite of the teaching they receive).

However, it is still useful for me to access Roman Catholic materials for research purposes. I still have many family members that are practicing Roman Catholics.

Even within evangelical Christianity, there is a wide divergence on what people believe is heretical or where we are just have differing opinions about the non essentials.

There are many that believe that if you are not a Calvinist then you do not believe the true gospel. Should we only include authors that agree with our view of soteriology?

We all have differing views on many things. Many on this site like John MacArthur. I feel that MacArthur is confused about some important things. However, I would never suggest that he is not a Christian or that his materials should not be posted if we had permission.

I think that we need to rely on the users of this site to use discernment concerning what they download. It is important I think to get good descriptions of the content of modules up on the site.

Just my two cents...

Peter

#14 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

First, I didn't mention non-essentials. I mentioned denying the Absolute Deity of Jesus Christ. This alone would address many false religions and cults. I would hope at least that everyone would be in agreement on this one. If not, you wouldn't be a Christian. I would also assume that everyone would be in agreement about Eastern Religions (i.e. Buddhists) and Satan worshipers. I'm assuming again that you wouldn't want to support their efforts. I didn't do any nit-picking about small doctrinal issues or disagreements.

Second, I don't tiptoe through the tulips with false religions and cults, so I have no desire at all to be politically correct on this issue. We don't do anyone any favors by giving them a false sense of security when they are a member of a false religion or cult. They are lost and in need of Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. The sooner they know this, the better.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#15 Scribe

Scribe

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

It appears from the old website database that someone pulled Jehova Witnesses/Watchtower material offline.

Could copyright or permission issues had anything to do with it?
Scribe

#16 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

Surely you have a clue what a false religion or false cult is, don't you?

Do we know what a "false religion" or a "false cult" really is?

It is incredibly easy for a Cafeteria Christian to pick and choose what they believe, and to accept whatever the next person picks and chooses, as also being Christian.

Go through that list of heresies that I posted earlier:
  • Having Sunday School Classes is heretical;
  • Wednesday Night Bible Study is heretical;
  • Playing a musical instrument during a worship service is heretical;
  • Using leavened bread for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using unleavened bread for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using grape juice for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using wine for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using individual glasses for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using a single cup for communion makes you a heretic;
Here is another list of heresies, this time from four different, and much better known denominations:
  • Witnessing to people in bars, nightclubs, strip joints, and similar places;
  • Holding a church service in a place other than the home of a family;
  • Holding a church service in a place other that which is specifically dedicated for that exclusive purpose;
  • Partaking of communion more than once a year;
Consider this list of sins, from a branch of Christianity that did not exist prior to the twentieth century:
  • Owning a TV set;
  • Listening to the radio;
  • Watching a sports event;
There are sixteen points of departure there. Each of which has at least one side claiming that to do the described thing, is to go down the path of worshiping false gods.

Quoting what I wrote in a different thread, but with the same context:

From the perspective of the individual adherents, they are Christians.

The issues to face are:

• How to define a Christian;
  • Where the line between Christian and non-Christian is drawn;
  • Consistently drawing that line;
  • Consistently adhering to that line;

If your line is adherence to the teachings and practices of Orthodox Christianity, then most Catholic, and all Protestant content is to be relegated to the "unorthodox" bin.

jonathon

#17 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:54 PM

It appears from the old website database that someone pulled Jehova Witnesses/Watchtower material offline.

They were pulled for one simple reason: Permission was distribute that content was not obtained.

jonathon

#18 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:56 AM

A short observation:

Are we re-arguing the entire reason for the Reformation?

If this site really reflects it's name (BibleSupport.com) then let's support what the Bible supports. Christ alone. Why should we even consider posting modules dealing with the Mormons, ancient philosophers, etc. If people want those modules then they have every opportunity to construct them, just as the brethren have constructed these.

If we want the blessings of God upon this website, I suggest that we stick with His agenda. What's that? Preach Christ and Him alone.

However, if we choose to be 'all-inclusive' then I suggest to just fold up our tent today and go our own separate ways (2 Timothy 3:16-17). We see through the examples of Israel how not following after God alone leads into all kinds of heartache (Judges and the Babylon captivity). It's all about Jesus - is Jesus enough?

#19 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:10 AM

Do we know what a "false religion" or a "false cult" really is?

It is incredibly easy for a Cafeteria Christian to pick and choose what they believe, and to accept whatever the next person picks and chooses, as also being Christian.

Go through that list of heresies that I posted earlier:

• Having Sunday School Classes is heretical;
  • Wednesday Night Bible Study is heretical;
  • Playing a musical instrument during a worship service is heretical;
  • Using leavened bread for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using unleavened bread for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using grape juice for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using wine for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using individual glasses for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using a single cup for communion makes you a heretic;
Here is another list of heresies, this time from four different, and much better known denominations:
  • Witnessing to people in bars, nightclubs, strip joints, and similar places;
  • Holding a church service in a place other than the home of a family;
  • Holding a church service in a place other that which is specifically dedicated for that exclusive purpose;
  • Partaking of communion more than once a year;
Consider this list of sins, from a branch of Christianity that did not exist prior to the twentieth century:
  • Owning a TV set;
  • Listening to the radio;
  • Watching a sports event;
There are sixteen points of departure there. Each of which has at least one side claiming that to do the described thing, is to go down the path of worshiping false gods.

Quoting what I wrote in a different thread, but with the same context:

If your line is adherence to the teachings and practices of Orthodox Christianity, then most Catholic, and all Protestant content is to be relegated to the "unorthodox" bin.

jonathon

You're off on a tangent that has NOTHING to do with what I posted. Read what I posted - it doesn't resemble this nit-picking at all. I addressed essentials for Christianity like the Absolute Deity of Jesus Christ. Do I need to quote my post for you, or can you read it again for yourself? Don't try to put words in my mouth that I didn't say. Here's a repeat as a reminder:

First, I didn't mention non-essentials. I mentioned denying the Absolute Deity of Jesus Christ. This alone would address many false religions and cults. I would hope at least that everyone would be in agreement on this one. If not, you wouldn't be a Christian. I would also assume that everyone would be in agreement about Eastern Religions (i.e. Buddhists) and Satan worshipers. I'm assuming again that you wouldn't want to support their efforts. I didn't do any nit-picking about small doctrinal issues or disagreements.

Real simple and plain - no nit-picking at all. Your laundry list just isn't here.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#20 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:13 AM

A short observation:

Are we re-arguing the entire reason for the Reformation?

If this site really reflects it's name (BibleSupport.com) then let's support what the Bible supports. Christ alone. Why should we even consider posting modules dealing with the Mormons, ancient philosophers, etc. If people want those modules then they have every opportunity to construct them, just as the brethren have constructed these.

If we want the blessings of God upon this website, I suggest that we stick with His agenda. What's that? Preach Christ and Him alone.

However, if we choose to be 'all-inclusive' then I suggest to just fold up our tent today and go our own separate ways (2 Timothy 3:16-17). We see through the examples of Israel how not following after God alone leads into all kinds of heartache (Judges and the Babylon captivity). It's all about Jesus - is Jesus enough?

Amen! - Plain and simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users