Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Limits on resources we host?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:29 AM

Should there be a limit or a threshold to the resources we host? What question or framework should use when determining whether we will host certain resources? How do you stop it from being a slippery slope?

For example, if a resource denies the deity of Christ, should we host that resource? Certain groups are known for promoting material with that intent. Should we host their resources? I'm not sure if the old site just quietly deleted things like this or if there was a public policy. Looking for thoughts, feedback, ideas...

#2 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

In my mind dividing the resources into sections with an explanation of the sections would be great. I personally feel I have to offer a stiff warning to be careful of what you download when I suggest the site to others. A young believer whether young or old could stumble into some very confusing to false doctrine if the did not know what they were downloading.

I think this would make it easier for even the old veterans as well. If they are looking for a heretical resource it would save time snooping the multitude of resources.

Some possible headings, in NO PARTICULAR ORDER :-)

Heretical
Charismatic
Christian/Disciples of Christ
Baptist
Lutheran
Secular
etc.

I would also suggest very brief bios of authors. Presently many of the resources, I need to google for info on authors to be sure it is something I want to download. It would take time for the board folks, but would save SOOOO much time for the users.

This could maybe be made easier if we could email brief bios to be added to the description area.

My thoughts.

At any rate thanks for all the work going on here as well as a big thank you for the provision of such a site!!! I had been wishing someone could get something off the ground and I knew if I were to attempt it with my know how you would probably have to drive to my place and dig through a trash can full of 3.5 floppies to get your resources while using usps for communication and we know how bad that would be.

#3 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:52 AM

I seldom go to Dave's site. He is a real good guy but he specializes in areas too narrow for my more eclectic tastes and interests. I am not suggesting that Dave change for he provides a very valuable service to those he serves. I primarily go here (and before to e-S-U) because it does not specialize.

In my opinion, this should be the "Go-To-Site" for everyone of all faiths. I suggest that the less-than-orthodox stuff be segregated appropriately and the orthodox works given prominence. That way when the less-than-orthodox visit here perhaps they will down load items that when used will guide them on the secure path to Christ Jesus. Two thousand years ago, Christ dined with the publicans and sinners; This site could serve such a function in our age.
Posted Image

#4 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

As it is written:

Matthew 13:24-30 AKJV Another parable put he forth to them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened to a man which sowed good seed in his field: (v25) But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. (v26) But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. (v27) So the servants of the householder came and said to him, Sir, did not you sow good seed in your field? from where then has it tares? (v28) He said to them, An enemy has done this. The servants said to him, Will you then that we go and gather them up? (v29) But he said, No; lest while you gather up the tares, you root up also the wheat with them. (v30) Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather you together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

#5 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

In my mind dividing the resources into sections with an explanation of the sections would be great.

+1.

Heretical

The problem with "heretic" as a subject heading, is that it is very subjective:
  • Having Sunday School Classes is heretical;
  • Wednesday Night Bible Study is heretical;
  • Playing a musical instrument during a worship service is heretical;
  • Using leavened bread for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using unleavened bread for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using grape juice for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using wine for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using individual glasses for communion makes you a heretic;
  • Using a single cup for communion makes you a heretic;
I'm simply using these as examples of how subjective "heresy" can be. I am not picking on the denomination that underwent several splits, based upon those points as fundamental theological issues that are essential for people to believe.

This could maybe be made easier if we could email brief bios to be added to the description area.

(call this thinking aloud)
A couple of options here:
  • Include a link to the wikipedia article of the author, in the resource description;
  • Post a bio of the author as a review of the resource;
  • Create a forum exclusively for writing biographies of authors;
  • Create a static area "Authors", that lists authors, and content on the site that they wrote, and a biography of the author;
Those all require some additional work on the part of the site maintainers.

jonathon

#6 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

I'm not sure if the old site just quietly deleted things like this or if there was a public policy.

On e-Sword-users.org, theological content was irrelevant. That policy was publicly posted on the site.
It did mean that there were resources on the site that none of the site admins approved of.

There are some organizations, and issues that trigger firestorms, simply by being available. Most of the relevant content is under copyright, and permission for the e-Sword resource was not requested. Since e-Sword-users.org did not request permission to distribute resources, that lack of permission prevented most of the controversial resources from being distributed by e-Sword-users.org.

The options are:
  • Host all known third party resources that can be legally distributed;
  • Host third party resources that reflect a specific theological orientation;

Either way, make it clear to both resource contributors and site users what the limits are. Ideally, theologically neutral tags that make the theological position of the resource clear to users are also used.

jonathon

#7 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

As it is written:

Matthew 13:24-30 AKJV Another parable put he forth to them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened to a man which sowed good seed in his field: (v25) But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. (v26) But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. (v27) So the servants of the householder came and said to him, Sir, did not you sow good seed in your field? from where then has it tares? (v28) He said to them, An enemy has done this. The servants said to him, Will you then that we go and gather them up? (v29) But he said, No; lest while you gather up the tares, you root up also the wheat with them. (v30) Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather you together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Amen! - This would summarize my thoughts also. Why would anyone want to distribute material for the devil, false religions, or cults? e-Sword is a Christian endeavor - a work for the Lord.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#8 Justin

Justin

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:58 PM

If you wanted to categorize, Unorthodox could replace Heretical. I think Orthodox is pretty well defined (http://www.greatcom....p03/default.htm).
"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life and he that winneth souls is wise." - Proverbs 11:30

#9 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

I think Orthodox is pretty well defined (http://www.greatcom....p03/default.htm).

Using those criteria, one could present a pretty solid case that everybody else --- including Catholic Christianity --- is "unorthodox".

Why would anyone want to distribute material for the devil, false religions, or cults?

• What one person considers to be heretical, or a false teaching, another person considers to be the orthodox, true teaching;
  • Christian apologetics: Few things demolish the credibility of a Christian witnessing to a group as fast as ascribing incorrect/false/wrong beliefs of that group to adherents of the group;
  • Pirahã;

jonathon

#10 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

Using those criteria, one could present a pretty solid case that everybody else --- including Catholic Christianity --- is "unorthodox".

• What one person considers to be heretical, or a false teaching, another person considers to be the orthodox, true teaching;
  • Christian apologetics: Few things demolish the credibility of a Christian witnessing to a group as fast as ascribing incorrect/false/wrong beliefs of that group to adherents of the group;
  • Pirahã;

jonathon

I disagree with your approach. Surely you have a clue what a false religion or false cult is, don't you? Christians shouldn't be distributing or condoning their materials. Otherwise, you're working for the devil - plain and simple. You can do that if you want to, but I WON'T. Maybe I should ask - are you a Christian? The decision belongs to the person paying the bills here, not you or me. An opinion was asked for - I gave mine. Go to http://www.carm.org/ if you need help in deciding what a false religion or false cult is. Hint: denying the absolute Deity of Jesus Christ is a good start.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users