Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Images and Maps et al

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian Currier

Adrian Currier

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

I'm reticent to download maps or any number of other modules for fear that permission has not been secured from the copyright owners. I see modules of images from the American Bible Society, Blue Letter Bible, Net Bible, etc., and start to wonder if I'm breaking copyright by using any of this stuff

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

As far as I know permission was granted when the module maker made the module or the image was copied from a public domain source. If your worried, search google for the graphics and view content came from other websites (assuming they have permission.....). I've never realized the value of viewing graphics with the Graphics Viewer in e-Sword anyway--not when you can view it on other websites just as easily. It's why I've never made a single graphics module. :)

Josh

#3 Adrian Currier

Adrian Currier

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

Yeah, I don't even use e-Sword, honestly, because there are resources like BlueLetterBible.org online. But I'm installing this for someone that doesn't have internet. I won't worry about the images and maps. I don't use maps and images that much myself, anyways

Edited by Adrian Currier, 11 December 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#4 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

for fear that permission has not been secured from the copyright owners.

The lack of permission to distribute a resource is a risk that all third party resources have.

Personally, for map/graphic resources, I am more concerned about resource stability and theological bias, than copyright issues. (Theological bias in map/graphic resources is harder to detect, and adjust for, than theological bias in either audio or textual content.)

Percentage-wise, map/graphic resources are under-representated recipients of cease and desist notices.

Tin-eye, and similar software, is fairly useful for due diligence, regardless of the presence of meta data in the images. Obtaining, and validating model releases is probably the hardest aspect of due diligence.

and start to wonder if I'm breaking copyright by using any of this stuff

Under current US Law, usage is not a violation of copyright law. Likewise receiving content that was distributed in violation of copyright law is not actionable under existing civil or criminal statutes, in the United States.

There are some safe-harbour provisions which minimize the risk for Josh. The most significant is registering an agent with the Library of Congress.

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

jonathon

#5 Adrian Currier

Adrian Currier

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

Thanks Jonathon. I'm passing on using any of the images. Even if I'm not infringing copyright by doing so, I still feel that I'd be supporting it

#6 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

Using the e-Sword Module Downloader you will find a bakers dozen graphics/maps available for download. All of them are either public domain or permission has been given to Rick Meyers to distribute. You can provide your friend with these without concern.
Posted Image

#7 Adrian Currier

Adrian Currier

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

Who's Rick Meyers?

#8 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

Rick Meyers is the creator of e sword Bible software

#9 Adrian Currier

Adrian Currier

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

So Rick Meyers checks the copyright on the content in these modules? I'm pretty sure the material I'm thinking of is not in the public domain because the websites and programs they come from have copyrights listed

I would think jonathon is right: "Percentage-wise, map/graphic resources are under-representated recipients of cease and desist notices"

Edited by Adrian Currier, 13 December 2011 - 07:40 PM.

#10 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

As far as i am aware (and I could be wrong), BlueLetterBible allows you to use, download, and distribute anything they have online. If I remember correctly, their goal was to spread the word and help others understand it without charging money for it. Most of the downloads here are from people who feel the same way and have thus given permission for the free distribution of their material. Others are public domain (meaning so old that there can no longer be a copyright on it).

Brad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users